This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Purigen
Last Post: Jota
Yesterday 11:15 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 28
Eheim Pickup. Good?
Yesterday 11:09 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 18
Fishless cycling advice please
Last Post: amanda5838
Yesterday 10:53 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 6
Project Bertha 2
Yesterday 10:53 PM
» Replies: 258
» Views: 5597
New, hi and some advice please
Last Post: Rysuk
Yesterday 08:53 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 346
Ooops!
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 07:34 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 247
RallyMatt’s 24L Nano Makeover : Bora Beach (Hopefu...
Last Post: RallyMatt
Yesterday 06:47 PM
» Replies: 83
» Views: 1315
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 06:03 PM
» Replies: 627
» Views: 39513
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 05:34 PM
» Replies: 628
» Views: 21511
A couple of daft questions...
Last Post: CrashEd
Yesterday 05:31 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 405
Tank updated - Any tips
Last Post: arky_4
Yesterday 04:17 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 63
Shopping list
Last Post: CrashEd
Yesterday 12:54 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 332
48 Gallon stock ideas
Last Post: Stix
Yesterday 11:16 AM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 592
Planted tank lighting
Last Post: LexIcon
Yesterday 11:08 AM
» Replies: 24
» Views: 422
Cheltgirl's Sooperteeny Nano Tank
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 09:55 AM
» Replies: 72
» Views: 1356

Serpae tetras - how aggressive?
I have been researching these for a while since I saw some beautiful ones in an LFS. I still can't get a sense of how aggressive they are in a community tank. Has anyone had any experience? Thanks in advance! 

They would be in a shoal of about 10 with rummynose tetras, golden pencil fish, otos and Bolivian rams, in a 240l planted tank.
240 litre Fluval Roma - South American theme
Thanks given by:
I've no experience with them but have read they can become "mildly aggressive with slow moving fish". Plus someone else with a problem of them fin nipping and killing fish. It may depend if you have a smaller or larger group whether the aggression is shared between the group or spread around the other tankmates.

I did check them out when looking to get a shoal of tetra's to go with my rummy's. I ended up with Kitty's. The male Kitty's posture, chase and fight like cichlids amongst the males but don't bother anything else in the tank.

I don't know what it would be like if I only had one male for example. I think I have about 7 or 8 so they spend their time squaring up to each other. I've no idea if that's the sort of thing that goes on amongst Serpae.
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
Thanks given by: Suse
Thanks very much. It does seem like it may be unpredictable and depend on a lot of variables such as number and what else is in the tank, as you say. I decided to play it safe and went for Bentosi Tetra instead (and a little group of marbled hatchetfish to finish off!)
[-] The following 2 users Like Suse's post:
  • Annie, Jota
Thanks given by:
That sounds a nice option, looking forward to pics Wink

Thanks given by:
I have a nice shoal of 20 x Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques) and they get along quite nicely.

This is what Seriously Fish say:
Quote:H. eques is notorious as an aggressive community inhabitant with a reputation for nipping the fins of tankmates although this behaviour tends to be most pronounced when insufficient numbers are purchased or space is limited.
It’s a gregarious species forming loose hierarchies, with rival males continually battling with each other for female attention and positioning within the group.
A group of at least 8-10 specimens should be considered the minimum requirement since this increases the likelihood that the fish will be distracted by each other rather than their tankmates but will result in a more effective, natural-looking display.
Males will also show better colouration in the presence of conspecific rivals.
That said it is relatively boisterous and doesn’t make an ideal companion for very shy, slow-moving, or long-finned fishes such as many livebearers, cichlids, and anabantoids.

I have not seen any aggression towards my other fish species which is likely due to having a large group of Serpae tetra.

Hope it helps
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé river theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 2 x wild caught Apistogramma trifasciata, 15 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 20 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 13 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.
Yup, large groups are fine with other fish, and the larger the group, the less the aggression.
The problems are always when there are less than 10, can really upset other fish in the tank as well as fighting each other. The females seem to be as bad as the males, so you can't even get one sex. They are beautiful fish though. Smile
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks Stephen and Ian. I decided not to risk it as I couldn't fit in such a large group. Agree they are beautiful though! Maybe one day when I get an (even more) massive tank...

Going to update my log later with the new arrivals. I have gone with a Rio Madeira theme after a lot of back and forth and am really happy with it Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Suse's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
(13-04-2019, 07:23 PM)Suse Wrote: Thanks very much. It does seem like it may be unpredictable and depend on a lot of variables such as number and what else is in the tank, as you say. I decided to play it safe and went for Bentosi Tetra instead (and a little group of marbled hatchetfish to finish off!)

They will look stunning when coloured up!
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jota's post:
  • Suse
Thanks given by:
I still have a couple of bentosi, they are lovely! Smile
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes plankton's post: