This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Purigen
Last Post: Jota
Yesterday 11:15 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 28
Eheim Pickup. Good?
Yesterday 11:09 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 18
Fishless cycling advice please
Last Post: amanda5838
Yesterday 10:53 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 6
Project Bertha 2
Yesterday 10:53 PM
» Replies: 258
» Views: 5597
New, hi and some advice please
Last Post: Rysuk
Yesterday 08:53 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 346
Ooops!
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 07:34 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 247
RallyMatt’s 24L Nano Makeover : Bora Beach (Hopefu...
Last Post: RallyMatt
Yesterday 06:47 PM
» Replies: 83
» Views: 1315
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 06:03 PM
» Replies: 627
» Views: 39513
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 05:34 PM
» Replies: 628
» Views: 21511
A couple of daft questions...
Last Post: CrashEd
Yesterday 05:31 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 405
Tank updated - Any tips
Last Post: arky_4
Yesterday 04:17 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 63
Shopping list
Last Post: CrashEd
Yesterday 12:54 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 332
48 Gallon stock ideas
Last Post: Stix
Yesterday 11:16 AM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 592
Planted tank lighting
Last Post: LexIcon
Yesterday 11:08 AM
» Replies: 24
» Views: 422
Cheltgirl's Sooperteeny Nano Tank
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 09:55 AM
» Replies: 72
» Views: 1356

Feeling a little lost...
Hey guys and girls

A completely random subject, but i start a new job on Monday after working for the same place for 11 years. I’m feeling in a very weird place as i’ve never been in this situation before, well i’ve changed jobs but never been at the places long enough to make some really close friends, which is what is getting me down as we would spend at least half a year together through being on shift so our last shift together was thursday night finishing yesterday morning, and it feels strange that i wont see them monday morning and like i’ve just left them behind and thats making me feel sick, as i have a lot of love for them and worry things will be ok for them.
I am looking forward to the new job, but have the natural anxieties of whats it going to be like longterm, i dont know anyone there and i will be the youngest engineer (by nearly 20years!). So i know i need to prove myself and the support i’ve had tells me i can do it and i want to prove everyone right. 
I’m not sure if i’m just babbling to get my thoughts out of my head but has anyone else gone through this?
I feel so torn Sad
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
It’s a big change for you and you will be feeling all sorts of things about it. It’s very natural, easy to say I know. I’m sure you’ll be a great hit, bit strange at first, like first day starting at a new school. I think they will be very welcoming ...you got the job right, you must have impressed them at the interview Wink they want YOU !
It was the same when I came to Spain, left a great gang behind but knew it was the right move for us. We had to start again making new friends and forging a life here.
We tried to make things feel as normal for us as possible haha, I know in a different country etc, but we had all our furniture shipped over and of course had the pets. So think about what might make it easier for you.
You go sock it to ‘em on Monday !

[-] The following 2 users Like Annie's post:
  • Cheltgirl, Gill
Thanks given by: Gingerlove05
P.s. congrats on the new job !! Smile

• Cheltgirl, Gill
(13-04-2019, 06:42 PM)Gingerlove05 Wrote: Hey guys and girls

A completely random subject, but i start a new job on Monday after working for the same place for 11 years. I’m feeling in a very weird place as i’ve never been in this situation before, well i’ve changed jobs but never been at the places long enough to make some really close friends, which is what is getting me down as we would spend at least half a year together through being on shift so our last shift together was thursday night finishing yesterday morning, and it feels strange that i wont see them monday morning and like i’ve just left them behind and thats making me feel sick, as i have a lot of love for them and worry things will be ok for them.
I am looking forward to the new job, but have the natural anxieties of whats it going to be like longterm, i dont know anyone there and i will be the youngest engineer (by nearly 20years!). So i know i need to prove myself and the support i’ve had tells me i can do it and i want to prove everyone right. 
I’m not sure if i’m just babbling to get my thoughts out of my head but has anyone else gone through this?
I feel so torn Sad
If it's any consolation, what your feeling is perfectly normal when you have been at the same place for so long. 

It shows you care which is a great quality in an employee.

I'm sure once you have settled in your new job then you will realise all these thoughts will be a distant memory  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like stuaz's post:
  • Cheltgirl, Gill
Just another thought, are your mates local, maybe arrange a few nights out, keep up with what’s going on etc.

• Cheltgirl, Gill
Thanks given by:
Hi,
I can quite understand you feel, I retired a couple of years ago after working with some of my colleagues for twenty years. It felt very strange that I wasn’t part of what they were doing any more, they were moving on without me, and although I was retiring I sort of felt jealous. 
These days I’ve got so much going on I wouldn’t have time to fit a job in.
I guess it’ll feel very strange for a while until you’ve found your place in the company and find some like minded people, the age thing won’t matter, I’m sure you’ll show them your worth.
I hope you can also keep in touch with some of your past workmates, if only online, and you never know there may be some fish keepers at your new place.
All the best for Monday, let us know how your day goes. 
65L
6 Platy 
8 celestial Pearl Danio
[-] The following 2 users Like Gill's post:
  • Annie, Cheltgirl
Any big change is scary and makes you feel uneasy. You’re leaving behind familiar and comfortable to head into a lot of unknowns. As said above you’re the one who got the job which means they want you there and after a short while you’ll wonder why you were so worried Smile

You’ll be ace (especially if there’s lots of maths involved) good luck and we want all the gossip on Monday

Big Grin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank containing 10 gorgeous goldies Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise rofl Batman Snails X2, 1 Horned Nerite, 1 Tracked Nerite

[-] The following 2 users Like Cheltgirl's post:
  • Annie, Gill
Thanks all Smile
As i say i think i’m just rambling to get it out of my head.
I am planning on keeping in touch with a few of the people, the two off shift definitely as i would be lost with out them.
Also glad its not just me that gets like this, it doesnt help having several voices in my head as well (anyone else?).
I’ll keep you all posted on how things go Smile
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gingerlove05's post:
  • Gill
Thanks given by:
I understand how you feel. I had to move around a lot during my training (essentially a new job every year) so am well used to the "new job anxiety". For me, it was largely a sense of having to be on my best behaviour all the time / prove myself as people don't know you are good at your job and a mostly nice person. Whereas in a job where people know you, if you're having a bad day and are a bit grumpy or off it doesn't matter as they'll know the real you. It's emotionally exhausting and my husband joked about always expecting me to be a nightmare in the first month of any job!

Just take it one day at a time - a cliche I know but every day is easier than the last, and a month in and you'll feel like you've been there forever. You know that your previous work colleagues liked you, you did a great job (I assume, or you wouldn't have got this one!) - so all you have to do is be yourself and do your best Smile I found it helpful to clear my diary of most other things so I could rest and recuperate after work. You may be made of tougher stuff though Wink
240 litre Fluval Roma - South American theme
[-] The following 1 user Likes Suse's post:
  • Gill
My first job 15 years, second job 12 years, this job 8 years and counting, you will allays make new friends and you will most probably keep in touch with old friends, don't know about you but I don't like change, good luck with your new job I'm sure it's just nerves kicking in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pleco Fan's post:
  • Gill