This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Netsu tank log
Last Post: Netsu
Today 02:11 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 99
Peat or not?
Last Post: LadyDay
Today 01:51 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 259
An interesting read
Last Post: Netsu
Today 01:39 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 148
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 01:34 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 519
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: Ric
Today 01:30 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 30641
Simple wildlife pond
Last Post: Annie
Today 12:56 PM
» Views: 105
Once more...
Last Post: Annie
Today 12:53 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 36
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Today 12:51 PM
» Replies: 62
» Views: 969
Hola from sunny Lancs
Last Post: Mol_PMB
Today 12:49 PM
» Views: 68
festivum Behaviour
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:08 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 145
Ric's Rena
Today 11:55 AM
» Replies: 31
» Views: 318
Disappearing shrimp - how to tempt them out?
Last Post: Mfisher
Today 11:44 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 91
Best sand for planted
Today 10:59 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 60
Urgent camallanus worms suspected
Today 10:44 AM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 159
Hello all!
Last Post: plankton
Today 10:23 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 104

New, hi and some advice please
Hi all

New to keeping tropical fish (we are experienced cat owners   Big Grin )

Last weekend so 7 days ago we bought a 64 litre aquarium and under instructions from our local pet shop, we set it up and left it for 3 days to place fish in. (I now know from research we are in the chxlinf stage and probably should have waited longer, but im now doing regular water changes and testing the water. You live and learn. Smile hope to be out of the cycling stage in the next month or two

Anyway, to the main point of my post. We currently have 4 neon tetras and 4 penguin tetras who have been in the tank for 4 days and all seem very happy, swimming together and eating well. Temperature set to around 24 degrees which they seem to be happy with

My question was what will make good tank mates for them in a couple of months once cycled?

My current thinking was a Bristle nosed pleco and a wood shrimp. But what about other peaceful fish? I know the Siamese fighter can be the only male of his own in the tank. Would he be a good move to be with the tetras? Local pet shop said he would be, but they didn’t explain cycling to us so I don’t have too much faith in them for obvious reasons

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome Smile
You are right in that you are now doing a fish in cycle which can be harmful to your fish, however as you only have a small number of small fish it might be worth performing a large water change to bring any ammonia down to a low level and adding some tetra safe start or seachem stability, follow the instructions on them to the letter, then monitoring the levels to see if that helps “cycle” the tank.
Even if that works i would still wait a little while before adding any more fish.
To help with stocking you might want to look up your water hardness as this will affect what you can stock longterm. It can normally be found on your water supplier website and is measured in degrees german, french, english or ppm.
Bettas can be hit or miss (and are a soft water fish) some will accept tank mates others wont and decide they dont want them in their territory or they’re lunch.
There’s a few cat owners here (including myself) Big Grin
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
(13-04-2019, 11:12 PM)Gingerlove05 Wrote: Hello and welcome Smile
You are right in that you are now doing a fish in cycle which can be harmful to your fish, however as you only have a small number of small fish it might be worth performing a large water change to bring any ammonia down to a low level and adding some tetra safe start or seachem stability, follow the instructions on them to the letter,  then monitoring the levels to see if that helps “cycle” the tank.
Even if that works i would still wait a little while before adding any more fish.
To help with stocking you might want to look up your water hardness as this will affect what you can stock longterm. It can normally be found on your water supplier website and is measured in degrees german, french, english or ppm.
Bettas can be hit or miss (and are a soft water fish) some will accept tank mates others wont and decide they dont want them in their territory or they’re lunch.
There’s a few cat owners here (including myself) Big Grin

Hi thanks for the reply Smile

We’re in the Midlands so the water is fairly hard round here. 

I definitely won’t be adding any more fish until levels have calmed down. Regular water changes should help from what I’ve read and I’ve done a hell of a lot of research in the last week! Seems to have taken over my life haha. I am also using tetra safe start too 

Do you have any general suggestions on tetra tank mates? The neons and penguins seem to get on well. Just looking for something different? any suggestions and I’ll do the research into if they’re good for the local water type etc 

Thanks again
Thanks given by:
Also sorry to ask but just thought of another question

How often does the filter need to be replaced? My concern is that if cycling like right now, if we change the filter it’ll have to start again? Or does the good bacteria sit on the tank itself rather than just the filter? Also similarly, when the cycling has finished, if the filter is changed, won’t the tank have to be cycled again as it’s effectively starting from scratch? Sorry for the silly questions

Any help with future tank mates for the penguin and neon tetras also would be mega helpful so I can continue researching Smile
Thanks given by:
The neons prefer softer water, the penguins (depending on species) can take quite hard water (the false penguin especially if I remember correctly). So i would up their numbers as you would get a more natural display from them.
Other species suited to hard water are the livebearers (guppies, platies etc) but they breed easily and its easy to get overrun unless you keep only males or only females (females can be pregnant from the shop).
I also have apisto cacs (we’re in the east mids and also have hard water) but i wouldnt keep them in a tank shorter than 2.5ft because of the territory they take up if they breed or you have multiple females. They can get a bit agro in too little space or when breeding/protecting fry (cichlids for you).
In response to changing the filter media the answer is never (unless its disintegrating). As you say the bacteria that look after the tank house themselves in the filter (where all the “food” flows through). One of our members has had the same filter media for around 20 years Big Grin
Don’t apologise for asking questions, the only questions that are silly are the one you dont ask Wink
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
Hi and welcome to the forum Smile
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome to the site. Looking forward to hearing your progress. When you get chance post a pic of your tank, we love pics here. I’m another cat owner too Smile
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - Shrimp and Cory 
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I will continue to update you all as the Aquarium progresses 

In the mean time, here is a pic of molly our lovely British short hair cat. You can see her attitude from this pic! Funnily enough she doesn’t care about the fish at all and doesn’t even give them a second look which suits us
Thanks given by:
(14-04-2019, 08:38 AM)Rysuk Wrote: Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I will continue to update you all as the Aquarium progresses 

In the mean time, here is a pic of molly our lovely British short hair cat. You can see her attitude from this pic! Funnily enough she doesn’t care about the fish at all and doesn’t even give them a second look which suits us

Oops no pic showing for me ?
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - Shrimp and Cory 
Thanks given by:
[Image: fmMp3kt.jpg]
[-] The following 5 users Like Rysuk's post:
  • Annie, Gill, Gingerlove05, Jota, Pleco Fan
Thanks given by: