This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Peat or not?
Last Post: LadyDay
Today 01:51 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 254
An interesting read
Last Post: Netsu
Today 01:39 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 148
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 01:34 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 519
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: Ric
Today 01:30 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 30641
Simple wildlife pond
Last Post: Annie
Today 12:56 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 105
Once more...
Last Post: Annie
Today 12:53 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 35
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Today 12:51 PM
» Replies: 62
» Views: 969
Hola from sunny Lancs
Last Post: Mol_PMB
Today 12:49 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 65
festivum Behaviour
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:08 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 145
Ric's Rena
Today 11:55 AM
» Replies: 31
» Views: 318
Disappearing shrimp - how to tempt them out?
Last Post: Mfisher
Today 11:44 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 88
Best sand for planted
Today 10:59 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 57
Urgent camallanus worms suspected
Today 10:44 AM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 154
Hello all!
Last Post: plankton
Today 10:23 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 99
SnowAddicts predictable Upgrade
Last Post: plankton
Today 10:07 AM
» Replies: 278
» Views: 22360

Purigen
I've been looking at Purigen thinking I might use it later when the permanent incumbents arrive. The filter is foam with a cut out in the middle that originally had carbon but is now empty.  It's about 10x6x4cm with a 3cm diameter "hole" in the centre which goes almost to the bottom and has a plug which originally prevented the carbon from entering the pump. Would that space be sufficient for a 65lt tank or would it be better to remove the foam and just use Purigen? From what I've read it's a replacement for foam, or have I read wrong?
Thanks given by:
Purigen is a water clarifier not a filter media so definitely don’t replace any of the sponges/other media. The hole in the middle sounds like a good place for it to go if it will fit. I believe the stuff comes in bags to put in a filter. Not sure if it would fit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise - Decommissioned Sad
200L The Barbarium….Green Tiger Barbs and Nerite snails
20L Nano Marine.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
"Purigen is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product." From their website.

It adsorbs organis polltants but eventually cannot adsorb anymore. It then needs to be recharged and that process is a bit of a hassle.

It's not a replacement for filter media as Chelt says, but it can be used alongside it to augment it.

On their website they've got loads of info, FAQ's etc.
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
Thanks given by:
You need some space in the filter, it will normally fit where the supplied carbon sponge (or whatever is supplied) goes.
I only use it on one tank that suddenly went cloudy (after about 17 years) and I couldn't clear it with clean-ups or water changes, so it isn't always needed.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by: