This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Cloudy Tank & New Addition
Last Post: thedanburgess
Today 11:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 12
My 60l aqarium
Last Post: Annie
Today 10:56 AM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 482
The Marine with No Name!! Nano Reef-ish
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Today 10:51 AM
» Replies: 60
» Views: 855
paint fumes
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Today 10:06 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 36
The Whole Shebang
Last Post: fr499y
Today 09:56 AM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 390
Angels with a big appetite!
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 09:25 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 24
Fr499y's 4 foot *always changing* tank log, thing....
Today 08:25 AM
» Replies: 233
» Views: 6944
hello from leeds
Today 08:20 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 76
When is the fishless cycle complete?
Last Post: plankton
Today 08:02 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 86
Cloudy Tank - Help?
Today 07:58 AM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 344
Happy Birthday Plankton!
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 178
Cycling a tank
15-06-2019 09:06 AM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 368
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
14-06-2019 05:57 PM
» Replies: 145
» Views: 2131
Benvilles' Tanks
Last Post: Gingerlove05
14-06-2019 01:29 PM
» Replies: 460
» Views: 9295
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: wingnut55
14-06-2019 12:54 PM
» Replies: 1629
» Views: 186642

ammonia and plants
hi,,just setting up a small tank,,going to cycle it using pure ammonia,,is it ok to have plants in there while i'm adding ammonia?,,thanks
Thanks given by:
The plants should be fine as they will use the ammonia as food.
Just remember to use the ammonia calculator Big Grin
https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/misc.ph...elp&hid=12
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by: paulellison19
(27-04-2019, 10:15 AM)paulellison19 Wrote: hi,,just setting up a small tank,,going to cycle it using pure ammonia,,is it ok to have plants in there while i'm adding ammonia?,,thanks

Hi Paul,

Some people do have plants in their tank when starting the tank cycle. I don't go for that approach and I'll explain why. The whole point of cyclng a tank is to set up and establish a biological filter. And that requires ammonia and the right bacteria. That's the simplified version. The problem with introducing plants at the beginning of the cycle is that the plants may use up the ammonia leaving little for the bacteria to multiply in numbers. I assume you don't have any fish in your tank at this stage otherwise there is little chance of them surviving.

The stage at which to add live plants is at the end when ammonia and nitrite are unmeasurably low and nitrate is on the rise. The plants will keep nitrate under control if you get the balance right.

Good luck!

L.
@LexIcon 

I wonder if you'd be interested in having a shuftie at something  that I did in Another Place, many moons ago! Somewhere buried in that nonsense should be bits that may interest you (I haven't re-read the thread to identify exactly where).

Do plants respond to a surge in ammonia at the same rate, or perhaps faster, than oxidising microblighters?

Spoiler:

If so, then I guess that would tend to support your approach I think. 

[To fellow refugees from That Place who are afflicted by keen memory and who feel minded to follow the link, I apologise humbly for the disturbing flashback]
Chocolate Gourami
False Eight-Banded Barbs
Liquorice Gourami
Phoenix Rasbora
Pseudomugil sp. "iriani" Rainbows
Sakura Shrimp
Sparkling Gourami
Spotted Blue-Eye Rainbows
Food : anything that appears in an outside bath, plus: blackworms, daphnia, earthworms, microworms, moina, waterlouse
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2019, 11:48 PM)Vale! Wrote: Do plants respond to a surge in ammonia at the same rate, or perhaps faster, than oxidising microblighters?

Hi Vale!

Thanks for your reply.

I had a good shuftie at your post on TFFUK. I am also a member of that community but haven't been on there for ages. I knew when I very recently registered with Aquarium Forums UK that your User Name was familiar to me. Anyway, to business!

I guess the crux of what we're talking about here is, as you say above, "Do plants respond to a surge in ammonia at the same rate, or perhaps faster, than oxidising microblighters?". As your excellent work demonstrates (and contrary to popular understanding), Nitrosomonas can work very rapidly - from 1mg/l to 0mg/l TAN in just one hour!! So, what we now need is a figure for the rate of TAN usage by aquarium plants. I guess it wouldn't be too difficult (!) to devise an experiment to test this but, as I don't have the time, I'll contact someone that might know the answer. Will report back.

L.
Thanks given by:
Too much overthinking going on here.

It's entirely down to personal choice whether you have plants while cycling or not. I definitely would as it allows time for the plants to establish themselves. Time for any rearranging to be done. And probably most important of all... Somethin "alive" to enjoy and watch develop, even if it's largely static while waiting for the day to arrive.
[-] The following 3 users Like Toeknee's post:
  • Annie, Jota, Suse
Thanks given by:
(02-05-2019, 10:59 PM)Toeknee Wrote: Too much overthinking going on here.

It's entirely down to personal choice whether you have plants while cycling or not. I definitely would as it allows time for the plants to establish themselves. Time for any rearranging to be done. And probably most important of all... Somethin "alive" to enjoy and watch develop, even if it's largely static while waiting for the day to arrive.

Agree 100%.
240 litre Fluval Roma - South American theme
[-] The following 1 user Likes Suse's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2019, 07:13 AM)Suse Wrote:

Agree 100%.

Definitely Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise rofl 2 Batman Snails, 2 Nerite snails.
200L The Barbarium….STILL cycling!
20L Nano Marine.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
I agree too, I cycled with plants in and they are fine, in fact romping on like weeds Big Grin
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - planted WIP
Thanks given by:

Hi Toeknee,

I respect your opinion but I don't agree with it. Having said that, you're obviously not alone judging by the additional posts above. I think there is some misunderstanding going on here. So, give me a second chance to clarify things.

When someone sets up a biological filter, they are often keen to do this as quickly as possible. So, if the plants consume ammonia at a rate faster than the bacteria can get their little mitts on the stuff, then it may take a very long time for the biological filter to become fully established. Therefore, if you have the choice, it is more logical to add plants at the end of the cycle - rather than at the beginning. That's all there is to it.

L.