This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Please help ID this unknown creature
Last Post: Toeknee
Yesterday 11:39 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 23
The Marine with No Name!! Nano Reef-ish
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:37 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 50
Elf and murder ...
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 09:16 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 137
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: RallyMatt
Yesterday 07:39 PM
» Replies: 670
» Views: 41397
RallyMatt’s 60L Cube: Bora Beach [emoji267]
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 04:11 PM
» Replies: 176
» Views: 3234
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Yesterday 10:50 AM
» Replies: 101
» Views: 1228
Fry
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 07:57 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 78
New Users
Yesterday 07:53 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 153
Urgent please help
Yesterday 07:40 AM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 326
Powerhead recommendations, please
Last Post: Jota
23-05-2019 10:14 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 29
Took the dog for a walk....
Last Post: Pleco Fan
23-05-2019 08:05 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 523
Refinishing MDF - Can I get some advice, please?
Last Post: GruntPuppy
23-05-2019 06:14 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 335
Cycling a tank
Last Post: Gingerlove05
23-05-2019 01:51 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 78
Sci-Fi
Last Post: GruntPuppy
23-05-2019 10:45 AM
» Replies: 39
» Views: 1169
Stocking advice
Last Post: Jota
22-05-2019 10:32 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 141

water pipes have gone hard - time to replace?
I'm still working my way through this second hand tank setup, and I found something else to worry about.   By my estimate, this setup is about 10 years old, minimum (based on the construction age of the cabinet), and I suspect used legacy equipment (based on things having paint on them despite being in a totally enclosed cabinet base).   Part of this would appear to be the pipes used - and they're no longer flexible, they've gone very stiff.

This worries me - because stiff plastic is, I seem to remember, due to split.   Am I being over-cautious in thinking it's time to replace the pipes, or is it a sensible thing to do?

(on the plus side, the powerheads cleaned up nicely, the UV filter is fully refurbished, and the upgraded LED light unit is great - it's not all gloom and doom!)
Thanks given by:
It depends how far you need to flex or bend them, but generally once plastic starts going stiff the next point on is it will split or crack. On the safe side i’d replace them Smile
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gingerlove05's post:
  • GruntPuppy
Thanks given by:
Cheap enough so i'd replace!
[-] The following 1 user Likes fr499y's post:
  • GruntPuppy
Thanks given by:
I'm tryinv to get further info on this : my pipes are Eheim and some are more than a decade old and stiff. I'm trying not to panic!
Chocolate Gourami
False Eight-Banded Barbs
Liquorice Gourami
Phoenix Rasbora
Pseudomugil sp. "iriani" Rainbows
Sakura Shrimp
Sparkling Gourami
Spotted Blue-Eye Rainbows
Food : anything that appears in an outside bath, plus: blackworms, daphnia, earthworms, microworms, moina, waterlouse
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vale!'s post:
  • GruntPuppy
Thanks given by:
(09-05-2019, 03:23 PM)Vale! Wrote: I'm tryinv to get further info on this : my pipes are Eheim and some are more than a decade old and stiff. I'm trying not to panic!

This is EXACTLY my issue - right down to the brand of pipe!

The problem is that with UV exposure over time (and just general aging as well) plastics lose their... well plasticity - they get stiff.  And when wobbly plastic becomes stiff plastic, it's also becoming brittle plastic.   A great example of this is the rear plastic windows on convertible cars.    In my pipework it's also gone especially stiff where the couplers to the UV steriliser are.

The question is all in the balance.  On the one hand, we want our pipes to be nice and flexible.  On the other hand, our pipes tend to stay "put" - they don't NEED to be that flexible.       I'm going to err on the side of caution on this one, and to take the opportunity to remove an area of risk while the tank is empty.   Keeping it simple and safe makes sense to me.   Damn, but the costs are mounting up though!

Although this tank is turning into a money pit, I guess skimping here would be silly.

One thing I found when I looked at the supplied pipe - the previous owner appears to have broken off part of the one of the tails on the UV steriliser - and not bothered to fish it out of the pipe. He's going further down in my estimation by the minute! Still, the input/output tails are designed to take several sizes of pipe. The tail that's left on both ends of the UV steriliser suits 16/22mm pipe, as does the powerhead output. I'm a firm believer in spray bars to increase oxygenation, so I'll take the opportunity to buy one to suit as well.
Thanks given by:
Just a progress (or lack of) report …

Eheim lists two UK representatives. The first (John Allan Aquariums) has so far not acknowledged my e-mail, let alone replied to it.

So I'm trying the second one (J&K Aquatics Ltd.)
Chocolate Gourami
False Eight-Banded Barbs
Liquorice Gourami
Phoenix Rasbora
Pseudomugil sp. "iriani" Rainbows
Sakura Shrimp
Sparkling Gourami
Spotted Blue-Eye Rainbows
Food : anything that appears in an outside bath, plus: blackworms, daphnia, earthworms, microworms, moina, waterlouse
[-] The following 2 users Like Vale!'s post:
  • GruntPuppy, Jota
Thanks given by:
(14-05-2019, 07:29 AM)Vale! Wrote: Just a progress (or lack of) report …

Eheim lists two UK representatives. The first (John Allan Aquariums) has so far not acknowledged my e-mail, let alone replied to it.

So I'm trying the second one (J&K Aquatics Ltd.)

This, sadly, is an attitude endemic to many industries.  If it's a difficult question, ignore it, and hope it will go away.   Good luck!  

Are you able to do a visual inspection of your pipes?  I would suggest doing so, and examining the surface in particular at any stress areas - either flex or heat.  If there is any sign of surface degradation - small cracks, especial milkiness to the plastic, then it's definitely (imho) time to replace.
Thanks given by:
I wonder if silicone tubing has a longer lifespan and stays supple. It costs a bit more but isolates vibrations better.
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
Thanks given by:
it does, but i've never found it in 12mm or 16mm ID. Used it on my marine tank but that was at 30mm ish ID .
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2019, 08:20 AM)fr499y Wrote: it does, but i've never found it in 12mm or 16mm ID. Used it on my marine tank but that was at 30mm ish ID .

https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk...2508-p.asp

They do it, there was somewhere else I saw too but can't find the link. It's not cheap though.
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jota's post:
  • GruntPuppy
Thanks given by: