This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
where members live
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:46 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 82
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 5219
Newman
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 12:00 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 288
Phantom tetras
Last Post: John Arnold
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 11
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 10:26 PM
» Replies: 50
» Views: 938
Smelly Wood
Last Post: Sixo
Yesterday 10:19 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 16
Hello from wilts
Last Post: Ba15
Yesterday 10:15 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 81
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:35 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 38
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 09:34 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 860
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Yesterday 09:29 PM
» Replies: 224
» Views: 5741
Bullying Platys
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 09:17 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 99
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 08:57 PM
» Replies: 64
» Views: 1300
Zora’s Domain
Last Post: Annie
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 199
Spies Tank
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:41 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 121
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:33 PM
» Replies: 737
» Views: 50852

Soil Based Tank
Hi Guys,

Follow up to a previous thread, looking at having my tank with soil as the base, can anyone point me in the direction of some information I might need etc etc what soil to buy and any stuff I might need to add to it!

Or some warnings to why I maybe shouldn't have a soil tank?

Regards,
Dan
Thanks given by:
when you say a "soil" tank are you referring to using Aquarium Soil or Potting soil?

Aquarium Soil (E.g tropica) is a great soil to use. I use it on my planted tanks and would be my recommendation. it deson't need to be capped though.

Using potting soil is very messy and HAS to be capped with sand or gravel. However the drawback is that if you disturb the soil (e.g pulling out a plant) it can create a muddy mess Smile

Both of the above are nutrient rich though so you don't need to add anything to them.
Thanks given by:
(13-05-2019, 09:50 PM)stuaz Wrote: when you say a "soil" tank are you referring to using Aquarium Soil or Potting soil?

Aquarium Soil (E.g tropica) is a great soil to use. I use it on my planted tanks and would be my recommendation. it deson't need to be capped though.

Using potting soil is very messy and HAS to be capped with sand or gravel. However the drawback is that if you disturb the soil (e.g pulling out a plant) it can create a muddy mess Smile

Both of the above are nutrient rich though so you don't need to add anything to them.

Thanks for the reply so for example, Tropica Aquarium Plant Soil 9L wont need gravel or sand on top! Thats the style I want, natural soil look.
Thanks given by:
(14-05-2019, 11:52 AM)thedanburgess Wrote:
(13-05-2019, 09:50 PM)stuaz Wrote: when you say a "soil" tank are you referring to using Aquarium Soil or Potting soil?

Thanks for the reply so for example, Tropica Aquarium Plant Soil 9L wont need gravel or sand on top! Thats the style I want, natural soil look.

Some aquarium soil needs capping, but Tropica doesn't (Although you can if you want).

These are two of mine, where the soil isn't capped.

This one has a small gravel area in the front left corner with no soil under it.

This one uses Tropica Aquarium Soil "Powder". Its a finer version of there standard one and looks better in smaller aquariums.

Thanks given by:
https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru...ethod.html
There's a lot of info here and reading. An American site but with some very useful information. Dr. Walstad has written a book which is well worth getting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mito's post:
  • thedanburgess
Thanks given by: