This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Please help ID this unknown creature
Last Post: Toeknee
Yesterday 11:39 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 23
The Marine with No Name!! Nano Reef-ish
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:37 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 50
Elf and murder ...
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 09:16 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 137
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: RallyMatt
Yesterday 07:39 PM
» Replies: 670
» Views: 41397
RallyMatt’s 60L Cube: Bora Beach [emoji267]
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 04:11 PM
» Replies: 176
» Views: 3234
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Yesterday 10:50 AM
» Replies: 101
» Views: 1228
Fry
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 07:57 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 78
New Users
Yesterday 07:53 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 153
Urgent please help
Yesterday 07:40 AM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 326
Powerhead recommendations, please
Last Post: Jota
23-05-2019 10:14 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 29
Took the dog for a walk....
Last Post: Pleco Fan
23-05-2019 08:05 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 523
Refinishing MDF - Can I get some advice, please?
Last Post: GruntPuppy
23-05-2019 06:14 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 335
Cycling a tank
Last Post: Gingerlove05
23-05-2019 01:51 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 78
Sci-Fi
Last Post: GruntPuppy
23-05-2019 10:45 AM
» Replies: 39
» Views: 1169
Stocking advice
Last Post: Jota
22-05-2019 10:32 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 141

Green water
Hi, im new to having a tropical aquarium, my tank is 170 litres, after every 4 days the water goes so green that we cant see the fish, i have changed the water 3 times now but it continues to do the same, can anybody please give me some advice as i really am getting frustrated with it and its a big job changing the water so often. 
Regards
Andy
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome Andy Smile
How long has the tank been running for?
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gingerlove05's post:
  • Andy
Thanks given by:
Does the aquarium get any direct sunlight?
Thanks given by:
how long are the lights on for? what fish are in it? What filter are you running? give as much info as you can as it might be something easy to solve, like drawing curtains/blinds near the tank if in direct sunlight, or reducing the lighting hours etc..
Thanks given by:
(13-05-2019, 10:35 PM)Gingerlove05 Wrote: Hello and welcome Andy Smile
How long has the tank been running for?

Thank you.

He tank has only been running for 6 weeks.
Thanks given by:
(13-05-2019, 11:20 PM)stuaz Wrote: Does the aquarium get any direct sunlight?

No its not in any direct sunlight at all, but it is near the front door but we do have a long porch which does block a lot of the light.
Thanks given by:
(14-05-2019, 08:19 AM)fr499y Wrote: how long are the lights on for? what fish are in it? What filter are you running? give as much info as you can as it might be something easy to solve, like drawing curtains/blinds near the tank if in direct sunlight, or reducing the lighting hours etc..

Hi, the lights are LED lights and are on from 8am until 7pm then it has a blue night light that is on from 7pm until 10pm, i am running 2 filters inside the tank, 1 is a Aquael uni uv filter 750, this filter covers upto a 300 litre tank and mine is a 170 litre tank, the other filter is an Oase OxyMax 200 filter, i do clean the filters every few days, i have 49 tiny fish in the tank, they consist of 4 x dwarf gourami's, 4 x mollies, 3 little rams, 9 tiny endler guppies 24 blu, red and black neons and 5 other tiny fish that i can't remember what they are, lol.
Thanks given by:
Reduce the lighting, you want it to be on a max of 8 hours for the day lights. I run mine from 10am till 8pm with a ramp up and down. Don't clean the filters out until the flow reduces, and then only rinse in old tank water ( from water changes )
[-] The following 1 user Likes fr499y's post:
  • Andy
Thanks given by: Andy
Yeah as @fr499y says reduce lighting. The blue light is still a light and will contribute to the issue as at the moment your running your lights from 8am until 10pm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes stuaz's post:
  • Andy
Thanks given by: Andy
Did you cycle the tank before adding all the fish? Are you sure it's a green cloud that keeps returning?

Reduce lighting to no more than 8 hours as above anyway.....
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by: