This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
where members live
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:46 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 84
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 5220
Newman
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 12:00 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 289
Phantom tetras
Last Post: John Arnold
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 13
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 10:26 PM
» Replies: 50
» Views: 939
Smelly Wood
Last Post: Sixo
Yesterday 10:19 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 17
Hello from wilts
Last Post: Ba15
Yesterday 10:15 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 82
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:35 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 38
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 09:34 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 860
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Yesterday 09:29 PM
» Replies: 224
» Views: 5741
Bullying Platys
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 09:17 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 99
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 08:57 PM
» Replies: 64
» Views: 1300
Zora’s Domain
Last Post: Annie
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 199
Spies Tank
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:41 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 121
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:33 PM
» Replies: 737
» Views: 50852

Eeek?
Hi folks,

Feeling out of my depth... I’ve taken the plunge and bought and OF Hydra 20 filter. It’s in the tank, working away, and thus far no problem. Heater, substrate, rocks and bog wood all in there too now. I’m waiting on some fake plants.

However I’m now sceptical about the filter (having read both good and indifferent reports about the unit and technology) but I don’t have any fish yet... My next query is, how long should I leave it before adding a trio of little fish to get things started? Should I get some real plants too?

Sorry for my hopelessness  Huh Huh I want to get things right!
Thanks given by:
In my opinion every tank benefits from live plants so I would say yes to those. Look up any plant you like the look of and go for ones which are labelled as “easy” for starters. They should do well in standard lighting with some fertiliser.

Go to the home page of the forum, top right is a section called Guides and Resources. In there is a section on how to do a fishless cycle. You need to do that before adding fish.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise - Decommissioned Sad
200L The Barbarium….Green Tiger Barbs and Nerite snails
20L Nano Marine.....stocking in progress!
[-] The following 2 users Like Cheltgirl's post:
  • Annie, Gill
Thanks given by:
Oh I feel your pain, it’s a waiting game and I was always thinking I’m doing something wrong. I put live plants in very near the start as that helped me to see how I would like the set up, you can move stuff about while it’s empty and not upsetting or stressing fish.
As mentioned above the guide to cycling in the Guides and Resources is very useful. I must have read it a gazillion times when my cycling was in full swing.
Good luck and keep us posted, bit by bit you’ll get there.
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - Shrimp and Cory 
Thanks given by:
The reason I am asking (I have read the guide in the Resources section) is that these Ocean Free filters appear to limit the need for lengthy cycling...?
Thanks given by:
I don't think you can shortcut the Nitrogen Cycle without risk.  Angel
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pleco Fan's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
(16-05-2019, 05:42 PM)JaspersDad Wrote: The reason I am asking (I have read the guide in the Resources section) is that these Ocean Free filters appear to limit the need for lengthy cycling...?

How do they do that then?
Thanks given by:
I read about these a while back, and it does claim to deal with waste without needing media/cycling etc as its supposed to convert any toxins immediately into nitrogen, through using/generating hydroxyls which are highly reactive. However how this works or whether it works i’m really not sure.
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
(16-05-2019, 07:41 PM)Gingerlove05 Wrote: I read about these a while back, and it does claim to deal with waste without needing media/cycling etc as its supposed to convert any toxins immediately into nitrogen. However how this works or whether it works i’m really not sure.

Get one running. Dose to 1ppm and see how long it takes to clear!
Thanks given by:
It’s up and running, so I’ll get some ammonia and try that, as you say Cheltgirl, see how it goes...
Thanks given by:
My money would be on it taking the same amount of time as a normal cycle!

If there really was a wonder product out there that genuinely cycled a tank 'instantly' then we'd all be using it and recommending it!!

Hopefully one day the magic science people will invent that but until then I'll continue to be a skeptic Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Cheltgirl's post:
  • Annie, Pleco Fan
Thanks given by: