This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
where members live
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:46 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 84
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 5220
Newman
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 12:00 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 289
Phantom tetras
Last Post: John Arnold
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 13
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 10:26 PM
» Replies: 50
» Views: 939
Smelly Wood
Last Post: Sixo
Yesterday 10:19 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 17
Hello from wilts
Last Post: Ba15
Yesterday 10:15 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 82
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:35 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 38
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 09:34 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 860
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Yesterday 09:29 PM
» Replies: 224
» Views: 5741
Bullying Platys
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 09:17 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 99
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 08:57 PM
» Replies: 64
» Views: 1300
Zora’s Domain
Last Post: Annie
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 199
Spies Tank
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:41 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 121
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:33 PM
» Replies: 737
» Views: 50852

Re-sealing a Tank
I have had my custom tank for a good fifteen years now and the sealing needs to be re-done, no matter how i type into google 'Silicone' it will show silicone tubes with antifungal in it or mould resistant, which to me means that it has an antifungal in it, am i right?.

I know that the silicone has to have no antifungal in it but i am not willing to pay £10 a tube due to how many i will need and being an OAP, (nearly) can not afford to, I have watched loads of youtube clips on how and what to do and use and feel quite confident that I can do it but finding the right silicone used without any antifungal is becoming a pain in the neck.  Angry

Any links to the right silicone to use or the name of a good cheap silicone that is obtainable in the UK would help greatly as I would love to get this project started, plus I miss my planted tank and the joy it brought to the room.

Thanks for any help.

Mark
Thanks given by:
Everbuild Aqua Mate, HA6, Soudal Silirub AQ.

Just to name 3 very good ones Smile My sump was repaired using the Silirub AQ.

Like you say though, most will set you back about £8-10 a tube
Thanks given by:
Big Grin Thanks for that, Everbuild I can get some on Ebay for £6.70 a tube postage included, but it looks like the HA6 is the winner at £4.19 with free postage, better than the £8.99+ I have been seeing. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes mark the muffin's post:
  • fr499y
Thanks given by:
Just remember to have plenty of ventilation!

Might be telling you how to suck eggs, but make sure the surfaces are clean, put the silicone on the glass and leave it for 5 minutes, then press onto the other pane of glass. Advice i was given years ago by a tank builder Smile ( re the silicone )
Thanks given by:
I will be doing a lot of home work before I start to do the resealing, as it is not a standard custom shape tank, the structure will have to remain intact as it will be a tremendous task to put back together, but it will go under great scrutiny before any silicone go's near it.

The cleaning out of the old seal will have to get past how picky I am going to be with it, already have micro cloth for the alcohol, (not have yet), some HA6 silicone on the way from Ebay  Big Grin on the price, tools I already had.

Also looking at upgrading my Co2 unit, was running a DIY unit for three years, a lot of maintenance involved to keep the plants healthy, so looking to lower that a little with an upgraded version.

The lid needs a rebuild as it is getting on a bit, the only item that I had to build for it fifteen years ago and made it a little to snug, already have the new lid built in my head, so no probs there.

I will keep this post updated with the progress when it all kicks off.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mark the muffin's post:
  • fr499y
Thanks given by:
Sounds very interesting. Do get some pictures if you’re able to!
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise - Decommissioned Sad
200L The Barbarium….Green Tiger Barbs and Nerite snails
20L Nano Marine.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
Has anyone tried "oversealing" to neaten up their silicone?

I'm having the devil's own time cleaning the silicone that's in the tank I'm working on, I was considering laying some black silicone over the clear silicone that's already there.

Any and all opinions/experience welcome.

I went for HA6 as well Wink I bought black for where I plan to fasten a 3d background to the tank (and possibly to the front of the weir cover too.

And that reminds me... I need to get some fine (shrimp-proof) mesh.

DAMMIT, THE PURCHASES NEVER END!!!
Thanks given by:
Silicon won’t stick to already dry silicon, you really need to clean all the existing stuff offf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by: