This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the...
Last Post: yorkiejeff
Today 05:45 AM
» Replies: 30
» Views: 545
New friends and background
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Today 12:31 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 59
I.D please
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 47
hi all am new to this just joined as stephen reffe...
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:52 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 37
Hi All!!
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 11:42 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 58
New used project
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 11:31 PM
» Replies: 45
» Views: 1141
Is my fish full of eggs or just overweight?
Yesterday 11:26 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 233
New Video of shoaling fish
Yesterday 11:11 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 84
NAME THAT FISH - GAME
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:00 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 135
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Sarah
Yesterday 10:17 PM
» Replies: 213
» Views: 4899
Fostering/Adopting a dog.
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:23 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 630
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbar...
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 524
» Views: 16034
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 07:46 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 52857
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 07:45 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1503
Nicks tanks.
Yesterday 07:42 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 403

Urgent please help
Hi everyone so a week or so ago I noticed one of my female guppies was struggling to swim and floating at the top of the tank ( swim bladder I assume) so I reduced the amount of times I fed them, increased the temp slightly and tried feeding some peas. this was shortly after giving birth to some fry which looked ill ( infected/pin tails) a couple of days later I noticed my ruby shark was swimming at the top of the water with her nose poking out ( normally always hiding in her cave) which resulted in her getting sores on her face, so I removed all the fry into my fry tank and started treating both tanks with MELAFIX AND PIMAFIX. And now 5 days later after treating everyday the fry are doing great but in by big tank every day so far I wake up to dead fish ( ruby shark, 3 female guppies, couple of older fry , couple of ended guppies and 2 mountain minows) which I am absolutely gutted about. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.
Thanks given by:
Also worth adding most the fish had fin rot which looks to have pretty much cleared. And I have quite a bad outbreak of snails , not sure if that affects it or not. Thanks
Thanks given by:
Sorry to hear of your losses. Have you been testing the water regularly? It sounds as though something has gone wrong with the water chemistry for the fish to behave like that and to have fin rot.

What is your normal maintenance routine? Could there have been a few deaths that had gone unnoticed and caused an ammonia spike? Have there been any other changes to the tank recently? Big clean out or filter clean? Have a think and let us know. If you could also give a few more details of the tank, size, stock etc
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2019, 12:57 PM)Cheltgirl Wrote: Sorry to hear of your losses. Have you been testing the water regularly? It sounds as though something has gone wrong with the water chemistry for the fish to behave like that and to have fin rot.

What is your normal maintenance routine? Could there have been a few deaths that had gone unnoticed and caused an ammonia spike? Have there been any other changes to the tank recently? Big clean out or filter clean? Have a think and let us know. If you could also give a few more details of the tank, size, stock etc
Hi cheltgirl thanks for you reply. Ill try upload photos when it lets me but i have a 50l full of fry and my 2 male guppies and a 100l which has 4 female guppies( 1 with swim bladder problem) 11 guppie fry ( 2 months old) 10 or so new born guppies which I haven’t be able to separate yet, 1 female cherry barb, 2 female mountain minows, 3 shrimp, 1 endler guppy, 2 otocinclus And quite a lot of snails which must have come on the plants. I tested the water for the first few months of fish keeping and results where always the same so I gave up as the kits can be quite expensive and never had problems till now. I check the tanks every morning, afternoon and before bed. Do a water change at least a couple times a month, I siphon the gravel to get rid of waste clean the filter and add (microbe-lift) aqua balance and nite-out2 the method I’ve always used.I have noticed a shrimp and endler disappear but they do this quite often and normally show up in a few days. I’ve not done anything out of the ordinary apart from scooping out all the fry ( a lot more than I was expecting). I’m definitely not the best fish owner and don’t really understand all the chemistry, I’m still new and slowly learning hope ive gave you enough info and many thanks for trying to help.
Thanks given by:
If you get a liquid test kit then it will last ages (usually over a year at least) and can be picked up for less than £30 online. The strips you dip in the water are rubbish and are very expensive. I would highly recommend getting another liquid kit and test weekly so any problems can be sorted quickly.

I am still thinking it was a water quality issue. If you’re able to up the water changes to weekly and only clean out the filter when the flow is noticeably reduced (no need to do it every water change) this will keep you on top of things much better. Are you using a tap water dechlorinator that does chlorine and chloramines? I’m not familiar with the products you are already using sorry.

A lot of us here use Seachem Prime as a dechlorinator. It seems expensive at first but you use such a tiny amount it lasts forever. It can also be used in an emergency to detoxify ammonia and nitrite so could be useful if you have any future problems like that.
Thanks given by:
Have you done any water changes since the problems began? If not I suggest you do one as soon as you can. If you have any tests left do that too it may show if the problem is ongoing. Any good fish shop will also test your water for you for free.
Thanks given by:
Ammonia and Nitrite liquid kits are definitely recommended as these two are the major problem in aquaria if they make an appearance. Seachem has a small ammonia alert thing (7 quid) you stick on the glass in the tank and it lasts a year and alerts you if free ammonia (NH3) becomes an issue.
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome to the site, I agree with comments posted as above. Testing and water changes are important to make sure all is well and healthy in your tank.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
Thank you all for your help I’m using fluval water conditioner removes both chlorine, chloramines and protects scales and fins. I done a water change a few days ago before starting medication but just watched another fry die so done a 50% water change immediately . Really appreciate your guidance and will be going to my local MA tomorrow to purchase said products
Thanks given by:
Good luck with it and as Annie says keep us posted and we’ll do all we can to help!
Thanks given by: