This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Cloudy Tank & New Addition
Last Post: fr499y
Today 11:02 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 8
My 60l aqarium
Last Post: Annie
Today 10:56 AM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 482
The Marine with No Name!! Nano Reef-ish
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Today 10:51 AM
» Replies: 60
» Views: 854
paint fumes
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Today 10:06 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 36
The Whole Shebang
Today 09:56 AM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 390
Angels with a big appetite!
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 09:25 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 23
Fr499y's 4 foot *always changing* tank log, thing....
Today 08:25 AM
» Replies: 233
» Views: 6944
hello from leeds
Today 08:20 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 76
When is the fishless cycle complete?
Last Post: plankton
Today 08:02 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 86
Cloudy Tank - Help?
Today 07:58 AM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 344
Happy Birthday Plankton!
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 178
Cycling a tank
15-06-2019 09:06 AM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 367
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
14-06-2019 05:57 PM
» Replies: 145
» Views: 2130
Benvilles' Tanks
Last Post: Gingerlove05
14-06-2019 01:29 PM
» Replies: 460
» Views: 9294
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: wingnut55
14-06-2019 12:54 PM
» Replies: 1629
» Views: 186636

Stocking advice
Hi there, 

I'm hoping to get some feedback om my stocking plan for my recent tank upgrade.

The tank is 200l and has been set up for around 6 months now. Currently contains:
  • 7 ember tetras 
  • 6 cardinal tetras
  • 7 Cory's
  • 1 BN pleco
  • 3 amano shrimp
I'd like to add a school of around 8 rummy nose. Do you think I'd also be able to bulk up the current schools or would that be too full?
I'd generally prefer 2 larger schools but I really like rummynose!

I was also considering adding 6 otos, however I'm not sure if it would be better to increase the Cory's instead. 

Any input would be appreciated Smile
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2019, 02:13 PM)DD10 Wrote: Hi there, 

The tank is 200l and has been set up for around 6 months now. Currently contains:
  • 7 ember tetras 
  • 6 cardinal tetras
  • 7 Cory's
  • 1 BN pleco
  • 3 amano shrimp
I'd like to add a school of around 8 rummy nose. Do you think I'd also be able to bulk up the current schools or would that be too full?

I was also considering adding 6 otos, however I'm not sure if it would be better to increase the Cory's instead. 

Welcome to , have a look on the site I will link below, just put your tank dimensions and filtration into the drop down boxes, and the fish you have into the stocking box, and it will calculate your stocking level for you, and a recommended water change requirement.

Hope this helps.

www.aqadvisor.com

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

14 Rummynose Tetras
12 Glowlight Tetras
15 Cardinal Tetras
5 Red Phantom Tetras
4 Silvertip Tetras
5 Cherry Barbs
1 Pearl Gourami (female)
5 Sterbai Corys
3 Bandit Corys 
1 Panda Corys 
2 Bristlenose Plecs (how many) and  2 babys.
4 Bolivian Rams
10 Lemon Tetras

Tank 87% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by:
The amano don't count to the stocking level.

My 350ish litre tank has two schools of 20 rummy's and 20 Kitty's, 6 Cory and 6 Oto and the bioload is negligible. A full week after a water change and the Nitrate is still under 10ppm. If you had 10 cardinals and 10 rummynose with the Cory, Ember and BN then your population would be similar to mine per litre.

What filter you using?
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2019, 02:44 PM)wingnut55 Wrote:

• 7 ember tetras 
  • 6 cardinal tetras
  • 7 Cory's
  • 1 BN pleco
  • 3 amano shrimp

Welcome to , have a look on the site I will link below, just put your tank dimensions and filtration into the drop down boxes, and the fish you have into the stocking box, and it will calculate your stocking level for you, and a recommended water change requirement.

Hope this helps.

www.aqadvisor.com

Ian.

Hi Ian, thanks for your response!

I've used aqaadvisor which gives me a stocking level of 92% with 10 of each tetra, 12 corys and the pleco. I've had some people say that seems overstocked so thought I'd get some more opinions on it
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2019, 02:57 PM)DD10 Wrote:
(22-05-2019, 02:44 PM)wingnut55 Wrote:

• 7 ember tetras 
  • 6 cardinal tetras
  • 7 Cory's
  • 1 BN pleco
  • 3 amano shrimp

Hope this helps.

www.aqadvisor.com

Ian.

Hi Ian, thanks for your response!

I've used aqaadvisor which gives me a stocking level of 92% with 10 of each tetra, 12 corys and the pleco. I've had some people say that seems overstocked so thought I'd get some more opinions on it

Hi, 92% is quite a high stocking level to be honest, but with a high volume of water changed weekly shouldn't be a problem with good filtration. I like to keep around the 80% stocking level, gives a little wriggle room, but that's just my choice.

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

14 Rummynose Tetras
12 Glowlight Tetras
15 Cardinal Tetras
5 Red Phantom Tetras
4 Silvertip Tetras
5 Cherry Barbs
1 Pearl Gourami (female)
5 Sterbai Corys
3 Bandit Corys 
1 Panda Corys 
4 Bolivian Rams
10 Lemon Tetras

Tank 87% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2019, 02:54 PM)Jota Wrote: The amano don't count to the stocking level.

My 350ish litre tank has two schools of 20 rummy's and 20 Kitty's, 6 Cory and 6 Oto and the bioload is negligible. A full week after a water change and the Nitrate is still under 10ppm.  If you had 10 cardinals and 10 rummynose with the Cory, Ember and BN then your population would be similar to mine per litre.

What filter you using?

Thanks for responding. Sounds like I should be OK with all 3 schools then. Would you recommend otos? I haven't kept them before and not sure if I should get some or more corys! 

Filter is All Pond Solutions 1000EF
Thanks given by:
welcome to . As said, 92% is pretty high stocking, but with correct water changes and maintenance should be ok.
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2019, 03:09 PM)fr499y Wrote: welcome to . As said, 92% is pretty high stocking, but with correct water changes and maintenance should be ok.

Thank you  Smile
Yeah I agree, I can drop the school numbers down slightly to reduce it, I was more concerned about swimming space really
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2019, 03:15 PM)DD10 Wrote:
(22-05-2019, 03:09 PM)fr499y Wrote: welcome to . As said, 92% is pretty high stocking, but with correct water changes and maintenance should be ok.

Thank you  Smile
Yeah I agree, I can drop the school numbers down slightly to reduce it, I was more concerned about swimming space really

What is your water hardness may I ask, as most of the fish you have or want prefer softer water. ?

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

14 Rummynose Tetras
12 Glowlight Tetras
15 Cardinal Tetras
5 Red Phantom Tetras
4 Silvertip Tetras
5 Cherry Barbs
1 Pearl Gourami (female)
5 Sterbai Corys
3 Bandit Corys 
1 Panda Corys 
4 Bolivian Rams
10 Lemon Tetras

Tank 87% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2019, 03:19 PM)wingnut55 Wrote:
(22-05-2019, 03:15 PM)DD10 Wrote:

Thank you  Smile

What is your water hardness may I ask, as most of the fish you have or want prefer softer water. ?

Ian.

Can't give an exact figure at the moment, need to do another test. Water in my area is quite soft generally though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DD10's post:
  • wingnut55
Thanks given by: