This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the...
Last Post: yorkiejeff
Today 05:45 AM
» Replies: 30
» Views: 545
New friends and background
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Today 12:31 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 59
I.D please
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 47
hi all am new to this just joined as stephen reffe...
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:52 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 37
Hi All!!
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 11:42 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 58
New used project
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 11:31 PM
» Replies: 45
» Views: 1141
Is my fish full of eggs or just overweight?
Yesterday 11:26 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 234
New Video of shoaling fish
Yesterday 11:11 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 85
NAME THAT FISH - GAME
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:00 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 135
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Sarah
Yesterday 10:17 PM
» Replies: 213
» Views: 4899
Fostering/Adopting a dog.
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:23 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 633
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbar...
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 524
» Views: 16034
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 07:46 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 52857
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 07:45 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1503
Nicks tanks.
Yesterday 07:42 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 403

Fry
Hi. Annette here, what's the gestation period for mollies, my molly seems to be constantly pregnant and dropping fry every couple of days. Thank you
Thanks given by:
If you mean from insemination to birth, pregnancy, its around 4 weeks. And being livebearers they can produce upto 8 batches of fry from 1 insemination, each batch will be 4 weeks apart.
Is this her first lot of fry? If so this might be why its taking a little longer for the fry to drop, but i have known my platys to move around producing fry in various locations over time, especially with first batches.
I wrote this guide a while back with a bit of help, that might be useful Smile
https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/misc.ph...elp&hid=19
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
(23-05-2019, 06:40 PM)Gingerlove05 Wrote: If you mean from insemination to birth, pregnancy, its around 4 weeks. And being livebearers they can produce upto 8 batches of fry from 1 insemination, each batch will be 4 weeks apart.
Is this her first lot of fry? If so this might be why its taking a little longer for the fry to drop, but i have known my platys  to move around producing fry in various locations over time, especially with first batches.
I wrote this guide a while back with a bit of help, that might be useful Smile
https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/misc.ph...elp&hid=19

Thanks for that, it's not the first lot she has had, but there is two females in the tank, both seem constantly pregnant..
Thanks given by:
Do you have any males?
If so they will likely keep ending up pregnant, but as i say once pregnant they can keep going for 8 batches (which would roughly be 8 months!)
Thanks given by:
Yes, 3 females,, 2 males, thanks for your help.
Thanks given by:
No problem Smile i know a little bit about livebearers and fry, we’ve had literally hundreds Big Grin if you have any questions just ask Smile
You’ll likely constantly end up with fry because you have males and females. They dont know when to stop. Eating or breeding lol
What temp is your tank running at? I know cooler temps can help ease breeding behaviour, but i dont think they ever stop completely.
Thanks given by:
Lol. Know what you mean, we have seven at the moment a bit too big to be eaten,, the temp is at 24.
Thanks given by:
On another note, when my other tank has cycled,, is it OK to keep a male and female in it, hopefully to try and get them to breed, it's only 25 ltrs.i mean betas lol
Thanks given by:
Might be worth dropping the temp a degree or 2 depending on any other stock and their temperature compatibility.
I’m not sure how much room you would need for betta breeding, but i know females need to be removed after they have mated as the male guards the bubble nest and fry and he will turn on the female.
What is your water hardness? As betta need soft water whereas mollies need hard water
Thanks given by:
think our water is hard,,we have a male betta and two female betta in our other tank,they seem to be thriving..
Thanks given by: