This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
where members live
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:46 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 82
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 5217
Newman
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 12:00 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 287
Phantom tetras
Last Post: John Arnold
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 11
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 10:26 PM
» Replies: 50
» Views: 938
Smelly Wood
Last Post: Sixo
Yesterday 10:19 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 16
Hello from wilts
Last Post: Ba15
Yesterday 10:15 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 81
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:35 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 38
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 09:34 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 860
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Yesterday 09:29 PM
» Replies: 224
» Views: 5741
Bullying Platys
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 09:17 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 99
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 08:57 PM
» Replies: 64
» Views: 1300
Zora’s Domain
Last Post: Annie
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 195
Spies Tank
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:41 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 121
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:33 PM
» Replies: 737
» Views: 50851

My 60l aqarium
I shall start a new thread here as whilst still a newbie I now hope to move on a bit.

This was taken a couple of weeks ago, a bit of gardening has taken place since then. As I've just about finished renovating the ponds outside the tank occupants have been given an eviction notice which, I think, will be sometime this week. When they have gone there will be a revamp of the tank in readiness for new occupants. Details as I get things done.
I had a delivery of water yesterday and tested it. Much harder than usual. GH 21, KH 10, pH 7.6, NO2 0, NO3 50, Cl2 0. The high nitrates I've been been having must have been caused by the delivered water and that we collect surface water as well. We've had quite a lot of rain recently. I then tested the bottled water we use for drinking. GH 0, KH 0, pH 6.4, NO2 0, NO3 15, Cl2 0.  The printed analysis on the bottle is in mg/lt. Bicarb 4.9, Chlorates 4.53, Sodium 4.29, Potassium 0.85, Calcium 1.2. Ph is 5.25 and dry residue 35 at 180ºC.
I can add bottled water to our tap water alter the hardness but it's also going to alter other parameters. I don't particularly want to put additives in to correct levels.
I want to keep Golden Barbs (barbodes semifasciolatus) and Corydoras Panda, 6 of each, which according to AqAdvisor gives a stocking rate of 71%.
Suggestions please as to what I should do. Change the water or the fish?
[-] The following 2 users Like Mito's post:
  • Annie, Pleco Fan
Thanks given by:
Golden barbs are far more tolerant of harder water than corys.
IF you decide to go with corys in the hard water you will have to make sure that you don't get ammonia spikes as they do cope well with them. You'll therefore be changing either more water at each change, or more smaller changes, which may affect your supply.
You might do better looking for fish that have been bred in similar hard water to what you have who will be more able to cope (so aeneus corys - bronze/albino are more likely to be available) and barbs that have bred in the hard water. Unless you want to set up a water barrel with peat in to bring the ph and hardness down. Vale! is your man for figures for that.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes plankton's post:
  • Mito
Thanks given by:
Nice looking tank, Mito.
Thanks given by:
Tank looking lovely and lush !
The very hard water thing is a nightmare, and from what you’ve said sounds like the water parameters will vary with each delivery.
What do you plan to do, sorry if I’ve already missed this but have you done testing in half tap half bottled water ? Not that I know anything about this method but it might be a way to get stable water.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - Shrimp and Cory 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Annie's post:
  • Mito
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies. All I've done so far is test the basics. When the tank is empty of fish I'll try testing it. If it's going to be too difficult then I'll leave it as is and have aeneus corys instead. What started all this was the sudden increase in hardness of the water. For those that don't know, we don't have mains water and rely on a water tanker as necessary. Normally the water quality is constant.
@Vale!, you've been recommended as the expert Cool. Can you help?
Thanks given by:
The goldfish have been evicted. They went peacefully and no police were needed to hold objectors back! Rolleyes It looks very bare now.
I recently bought a NT Labs test kit which I've used for the first time today. All the Ns are zero but the GH is 19 and KH 11, pH 8.
Out of interest I mixed 25% bottled water with a sample of tank water and it reduced the GH to12, the KH to 9 and a slight reduction in the pH, a couple of points. Until we get another delivery of water I'm going to mix the water and will test the new delivery and mix accordingly.
Off to our friendly fish shop tomorrow to see if they still have the Golden Barbs I ordered sometime ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mito's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
Oh so glad you didn’t need to get the guardia involved Wink
Nice the goldfish have a brand new bigger home ! Any pics Big Grin

Good luck with the golden barbs.
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - Shrimp and Cory 
Thanks given by:
No pics yet. They've gone into hiding. Give them a couple of days.
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
That’s great news. I’m sure they’ll be very happy in their new home Smile
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise - Decommissioned Sad
200L The Barbarium….Green Tiger Barbs and Nerite snails
20L Nano Marine.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
No fish today. I've run out of conditioner and the shop had none either. Sad I bought a couple of red cherry shrimps to put in my small tank. They too have now gone into hiding. Tank is for keeping prunings from the bigger one and is full of algae so I hope they can help keep it down. When they are larger they'll go into the larger tank.
A couple of not very good photos. One of the shrimps, about 1cm long and the other of some of the larger fish we have, also known as "sharks" due to the noise they make when they think they're going to be fed.
I don't seem to be able to up load photos. They're less than 200kb each so there shoud be no problem.
I added 25% bottled water to the 60lt tank today and it has brought down the GH to acceptable levels.
  • Annie
Thanks given by: