This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Hello all!
Last Post: Munchy2007
Today 02:19 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 106
Netsu tank log
Last Post: Netsu
Today 02:11 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 99
Peat or not?
Last Post: LadyDay
Today 01:51 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 259
An interesting read
Last Post: Netsu
Today 01:39 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 148
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 01:34 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 523
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: Ric
Today 01:30 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 30641
Simple wildlife pond
Last Post: Annie
Today 12:56 PM
» Views: 105
Once more...
Last Post: Annie
Today 12:53 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 36
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Today 12:51 PM
» Replies: 62
» Views: 969
Hola from sunny Lancs
Last Post: Mol_PMB
Today 12:49 PM
» Views: 68
festivum Behaviour
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:08 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 145
Ric's Rena
Today 11:55 AM
» Replies: 31
» Views: 318
Disappearing shrimp - how to tempt them out?
Last Post: Mfisher
Today 11:44 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 91
Best sand for planted
Today 10:59 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 60
Urgent camallanus worms suspected
Today 10:44 AM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 159

Cloudy Tank - Help?
Sad 
Hello All! 

So I am new to this forum - We have a 120 litre tank that has been set up now for around 3 months. It has gone through stages of being clear and cloudy. We was told it could be a bacteria bloom by local stores - However we have bought an external filter as we though the filter we had bought wasn't working. 

If anyone could help me out would be amazing as we are kind of stuck now. 
(we have had a few fish deaths in this tank Sad )
Thanks given by:
How long has the cloud gone on?

When you say bought an external, what were you on before? Is the old filter still running? If you've cold turkey swapped filters you've just started a new fish in tank cycle which could explain the deaths.

Bacterial bloom won't be remedied by a new or different filter, it will just run its course. I had one recently after my refill hose had some dirt on it from outside but it was gone in a few days.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Community 240L - Bertha 2
Cherax 160L - The Bistro (WIP)
Shrimp Nano - District 9

Thanks given by:
Oh, and photos might help too

Shrimp Nano - District 9

Thanks given by:
Sorry for the lack of detail - We kept the filter in for a week and kept the new external filter running so the external filter could build up bacteria and cycle. 

We bought the fluval 207 external filter and we had the fluval U4 filter. The cloudiness of the tank has been there now for pretty much the whole duration of having the tank set up. I can send pictures when I get back home i'm out at the moment. 

We have been given some treatment from Pets at home they told us it was a bacterial bloom. However this treatment has not worked in the slightest a few weeks ago some of the fish seem to be developing like a white film across there eyes; Although the fish seem to be healthy now from what we can see.
Thanks given by:
Done any water parameter tests, ammonia nitrite nitrate etc?

Shrimp Nano - District 9

[-] The following 1 user Likes Benville's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
Is this cloudiness during the cycling process ?
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - Shrimp and Cory 
Thanks given by:
Did you move the sponges from the u4 into the external when you took it out of the tank? If not then you will have started another cycle (the bacteria wouldn’t have moved from the u4 to the external of their own accord you would have needed to move it)

I agree with Benville that you May well be in a new cycle. Get a liquid test kit if you don’t already have one (the strips are rubbish) and do a full batch of tests as Benville said.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise - Decommissioned Sad
200L The Barbarium….Green Tiger Barbs and Nerite snails
20L Nano Marine.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
We have done a test and yes we moved the sponges into the external filter. Last time we checked the PH and nitrite levels they were perfect we do weekly water changes of 25% and then a larger change of 50% at the end of the month.

It has been cloudy like this since day one we thought we may not have cleaned the gravel enough; however after the months of going by this still hasn’t cleared.
Thanks given by:
I'm far from the most knowledgeable here but I wouldn't have thought a bloom would last that long. Next logical thought would be dust or silicates from the substrate, but a filter would usually clear that in a few days.

What treatments or conditioners are you using?

Shrimp Nano - District 9

Thanks given by:
What substrate are you using? A very light sand may be getting ploofed up.

Does the cloudiness look like fog (even all around and not swirling) or can you see very small particles swirling (like smoke)?
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise - Decommissioned Sad
200L The Barbarium….Green Tiger Barbs and Nerite snails
20L Nano Marine.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by: