This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the...
Last Post: yorkiejeff
Today 05:45 AM
» Replies: 30
» Views: 545
New friends and background
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Today 12:31 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 59
I.D please
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 47
hi all am new to this just joined as stephen reffe...
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:52 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 35
Hi All!!
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 11:42 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 58
New used project
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 11:31 PM
» Replies: 45
» Views: 1141
Is my fish full of eggs or just overweight?
Yesterday 11:26 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 233
New Video of shoaling fish
Yesterday 11:11 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 84
NAME THAT FISH - GAME
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:00 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 135
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Sarah
Yesterday 10:17 PM
» Replies: 213
» Views: 4899
Fostering/Adopting a dog.
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:23 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 630
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbar...
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 524
» Views: 16030
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 07:46 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 52856
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 07:45 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1503
Nicks tanks.
Yesterday 07:42 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 403

Dietary confusion
Help please.
Reading some of the posts here is leaving me quite confused! 
I have 6 Golden Barbs at the moment and am waiting for 6 Corydoras Panda. I feed flake but it seems that granulated would be better. As they are normally mid-tank dwellers which granulated food would be best? They are fed twice a day with a third feed of either daphnia or blood worm both frozen. The daphnia come in 1cm cubes and last two feeds, the blood worm is cut from a block but roughly the same amount. The cories I imagine will have similar but with sinking pellets.
I read that sufficient food should be given that can be eaten in a certain time. The Barbs will eat a pinch of flake or frozen in about a minute flat. A feeding frenzy! Should I give more, sufficient  or less? I find it very difficult to find a balance.
Thanks given by:
As a guide for small fish is their stomachs are roughly the size of their eyes,
I only feed my fish once a day, athough lately its been once every other because i’m low stocked, and over feeding can cause more issues than good.
I also use the frozen blocks, as for pellets i use the New life spectrum sinking pellets (0.5mm thera+a, althoughi have the 1mm ones to try)..
Because barbs are generally very quick on food, as long as they dont look bloated or too round you should be ok. Although that does sound like a lot for 6 barbs.
The cories will require a high protein diet so you might have to dose the blood worms on the bottom to get them past the barbs. Others can advise better on cory diets Smile
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
Myth alert...

Sorry but a fish’s stomach is many times bigger than it’s eye. Stomachs are very stretchy, like a balloon. A large mouthed predator can swallow a fish nearly as big as itself. Most fish will eat at one sitting enough for their stomach to be clearly much bigger than their eye.

Barbs are greedy. Wolfing food down as quick as they can is all they know. I generally prefer flakes to granules, but gold barbs are pretty much substrate feeders so either will do.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Thanks given by:
I should’ve added “as a guide to help prevent over feeding with smaller fish” not saying that “their stomachs are the size of their eyes”, larger fish will eat a lot more as you have mentioned BG Smile my poor English has let me down again Rolleyes
Obviously be vigilant for signs of over or under feeding
Thanks given by:
A small fish will eat more too. All those big fish will eat relatively more when they’re small, so it’s not a useful guide imo. Even fish that stay small will eat more than the size of their eye.
[-] The following 1 user Likes black ghost's post:
  • Mito
Thanks given by:
Fair enough Smile in the interest of more correct information and prevention of myths ill cut it out Smile
Thanks given by:
Google Image fish anatomy and you’ll see lots of stomachs that are all bigger than eyes (except for some of the herbivores). And they’re all empty stomachs, which will get even bigger when they’ve eaten... sometimes many times bigger. Smile

@Mito a minute is enough for most fish especially if you feed more than once a day, but watch the barbs. They’ll happily eat so much that it makes them obese.
Thanks given by:
Feeding is a constant dilemma, see all sorts of confusing advice all over, on the net and on the product itself. Also read to remove uneaten food after ‘x-number’ of seconds, ha, that’s a laugh, uneaten food, yeah right Wink
I get worried about putting in food that’s too big or not pre-soaked. Why do they make those hard flakes / tabs so big !! I always crush and soak first.
Anyhoo seem to have a routine now, not reading any more about it.
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies and info. I think many creatures have eyes bigger than stomachs and end up obese. Big Grin
As they have only been in the tank about a week we are all learning! I thought the young goldfish I had in there were greedy enough but this lot are super greedy. There are 4 cardinal tetras there too and I try to feed them separately behind the plants.
Thanks given by:
I must admit that I try to feed once a day, and not too much. All seem fine on this, but never fails to amaze me that when I’ve bought fish the shop has NEVER commented on what or when to feed the fish I’ve bought.
65L
5 Platys
5 Endlers
3 Amano Shrimps
[-] The following 2 users Like Gill's post:
  • Annie, Mito
Thanks given by: