This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the...
Last Post: yorkiejeff
Today 05:45 AM
» Replies: 30
» Views: 545
New friends and background
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Today 12:31 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 59
I.D please
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 47
hi all am new to this just joined as stephen reffe...
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:52 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 37
Hi All!!
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 11:42 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 58
New used project
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 11:31 PM
» Replies: 45
» Views: 1141
Is my fish full of eggs or just overweight?
Yesterday 11:26 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 233
New Video of shoaling fish
Yesterday 11:11 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 84
NAME THAT FISH - GAME
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:00 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 135
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Sarah
Yesterday 10:17 PM
» Replies: 213
» Views: 4899
Fostering/Adopting a dog.
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:23 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 630
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbar...
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 524
» Views: 16034
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 07:46 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 52857
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 07:45 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1503
Nicks tanks.
Yesterday 07:42 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 403

Odd or normal behaviour?
Hi everyone. New to the fish keeping ling hobby. Have a 180l tank set up with 7 rummy nose and 4 black phantoms at present. Last night I had my lights off and when I returned from work turned them on to check things out and the fish were acting off and fairly lifeless at the bottom of the tank. I did a water check and ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate were all fine. I went to bed and woke up today and they were all fine acting as normal. Then iv been out today and a similar thing happened. Iv came home and they are all just either hiding out in the plants or floating along the floor of the tank. Is this normal for them in darkness or should I be worried something is up?
Thanks given by:
If they’re doing that when it’s dark and behaving normally when the lights are on or it’s light in the room then they’re probably just sleeping.

All my fish go quieter and less active in the dark. As the lights come on they slowly wake up before starting to demand food about ten minutes later Smile
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheltgirl's post:
  • matt_ferg
Thanks given by:
Sounds like they were sleeping. With the lights off fish will go into the plants and/or bottom of the tank to rest and for security.
[-] The following 1 user Likes stuaz's post:
  • matt_ferg
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the reassurance
Thanks given by:
If it makes you feel any better my OH freaked out one morning when she got up and seen all our fish on the bottom because the lights hadn’t come on, called me up in a panic. She didnt realise that was how fish sleep Smile
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
Exactly the same thing happens to me every time I buy new fish, they literally hover at the bottom for around 2-3 days and then liven up. After those 2-3 days it is only a night and day time that their temperament changes.
Thanks given by: