This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Pump and filter or is it all in one
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Today 04:31 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 13
Dark furry algae
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 04:10 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 25
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Today 04:03 PM
» Replies: 174
» Views: 3927
LED lights
Last Post: fr499y
Today 03:00 PM
» Views: 13
Aquarium Lights
Last Post: Risk4reward
Today 01:58 PM
» Views: 14
Cycling my 54L planted aquarium, need a little gui...
Today 01:34 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 235
Betta Cube - WIP
Today 01:30 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 272
Snails - damn snails
Today 01:26 PM
» Views: 19
The Whole Shebang
Last Post: fr499y
Today 12:24 PM
» Replies: 40
» Views: 1179
Swamp Draining Itself!
Last Post: Vale!
Today 11:43 AM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 250
Marbled or Silver Hatchet Fish
Last Post: Mfisher
Today 10:35 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 63
My 60l aqarium
Last Post: Annie
Today 08:46 AM
» Replies: 34
» Views: 1262
Return To The Vale!odrome
Today 08:27 AM
» Replies: 62
» Views: 859
Redesigning tank
Last Post: Mfisher
Yesterday 09:16 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 195
Guilt Tank (continued)
Yesterday 07:17 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 408

New tank set up need advice please
Hi all very new to the forum but have had tropcial fish from a young age  started off with a basic tropical set up with gravel etc, I then moved on to having a full size fish room breeding angel fish and discus which I had for many years with very good results.  It also took up alot of my time what with ro water and daily water changes etc but enjoyed it so much. The tanks were all bare bottom so cleaning was a doddle, all tanks are now gone due to time and family life but have now decided to go with a community planted tank.    Smile I have decided to go for a fluval roma 240 (4ft), I plan to keep the following fish which will be neons, black widows, x ray, lemons to start with  and one of my fav corys. I plan to have a planted tank plants I like are japonicus, crimonsette, umbrella plant, elodia densa, java fern, cobomba, vallis, sword plant and dracena nice little selection. Will be running co2 and feeding plants with tabs etc. But my question is the sand as I am new to sand want to make it natural so no white or black did look at playsand and a few others, but what have your members  been using in your tanks? whats the ups and downs? what would you go for? how much do I need, what depth is recommended? thanks.  I plan to do a complete run of the tank from start to finish with photos.  I am ordering the tank next week. Look forward to your input and knowledge.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluered's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
Hiya, yeah I’m new to the forum too but not fish keeping. I think everyone has different experiences with sand. I attempted play sand left over from my sons sand pit & it was awful, washed, washed, boiled etc etc & it still clouded, once it settled I attempted to turn the filter on but it was just too fine so had to bin the play sand option. It does work for some people though. I would say use good aquarium sand.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jen1981's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome to the site ! I have two tanks, one with sand and one with gravel, the gravel one was my very first tank and with zip knowledge when set it up.
The sand we have was bought from the LFS, so a dedicated aquarium sand and it hasn’t been cloudy at all. It’s about inch or so deep as the tank is planted.
Looking forward to your plans and updates.
Enjoy the forum Smile
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - planted WIP
[-] The following 1 user Likes Annie's post:
  • bluered
Thanks given by:
Welcome to
I've used both depending on what setup I'm going with.
I found with too fine of a sand, it can cause some plants to rot and die ( Crinum for example ) 1" - 2" is usually enough depth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fr499y's post:
  • bluered
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2019, 12:13 PM)Jen1981 Wrote: Hiya, yeah I’m new to the forum too but not fish keeping. I think everyone has different experiences with sand. I attempted play sand left over from my sons sand pit & it was awful, washed, washed, boiled etc etc & it still clouded, once it settled I attempted to turn the filter on but it was just too fine so had to bin the play sand option. It does work for some people though.  I would say use good aquarium sand.
Hi thanks for your reply been looking at the silver sand by swell
  • Jen1981
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2019, 12:20 PM)Annie Wrote: Hello and welcome to the site ! I have two tanks, one with sand and one with gravel, the gravel one was my very first tank and with zip knowledge when set it up.
The sand we have was bought from the LFS, so a dedicated aquarium sand and it hasn’t been cloudy at all. It’s about inch or so deep as the tank is planted.
Enjoy the forum Smile
Hi thanks for the reply been looking at the silver sand by swell
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2019, 12:32 PM)fr499y Wrote: Welcome to
I found with too fine of a sand, it can cause some plants to rot and die ( Crinum for example ) 1" - 2" is usually enough depth.
thankyou for reply was looking at 2 inch think this is just right always been looking at the silver sand by swell
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2019, 12:32 PM)fr499y Wrote: Welcome to
Hi thanks for reply have you any inside information on the silver sand by swell?
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2019, 12:20 PM)Annie Wrote: Hello and welcome to the site ! I have two tanks, one with sand and one with gravel, the gravel one was my very first tank and with zip knowledge when set it up.
Enjoy the forum Smile
Hi thanks for reply I will have to have a look at that sand sounds intresting thanks for the input
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2019, 12:13 PM)Jen1981 Wrote: Hiya, yeah I’m new to the forum too but not fish keeping. I think everyone has different experiences with sand. I attempted play sand left over from my sons sand pit & it was awful, washed, washed, boiled etc etc & it still clouded, once it settled I attempted to turn the filter on but it was just too fine so had to bin the play sand option. It does work for some people though.  I would say use good aquarium sand.
H thanks for the reply and input and many tropcial fish days
Thanks given by: