This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: fr499y
Today 12:21 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 1209
What are these?
Last Post: jacksdad
Today 12:13 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 109
Angels with a big appetite!
Last Post: ivybell
Today 11:42 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 292
New Angel Fish Death
Last Post: Maudie Z. Summerlin
Today 11:26 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 129
Nicks tanks.
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Today 11:25 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 64
Newbie Advice
Last Post: Flex365
Today 11:19 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 20
Sick oto
Last Post: Baddams
Today 11:12 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 42
Another new Tank
Last Post: ivybell
Today 11:08 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 1029
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Today 11:03 AM
» Replies: 151
» Views: 6535
GL’s multiple tank log
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 11:00 AM
» Replies: 935
» Views: 77349
To shrimp or not to shrimp??
Today 10:57 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 74
Baddams's Feisty Fluval
Today 10:52 AM
» Replies: 93
» Views: 3212
want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the...
Last Post: fr499y
Today 10:37 AM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 403
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 09:20 AM
» Replies: 177
» Views: 3365
Plank's Bristlenose pics
Last Post: plankton
Today 08:09 AM
» Replies: 73
» Views: 10646

Guilt Tank (continued)
'Guilt' is how this tank was referenced in Another Place.

The impetus for posting this thread comes from WingNut, who began a course of Easy Life's AlgExit in his tank(s) to operate on his green algae. I mentioned in his thread that I'd begun playing with the same product and, though requested to report back there on progress, I felt it better to create a new one.

The reason for my use of AlgExit is a bit of an experiment to see if it'll work in 'Guilt', which has an impressive display of Black Beard Algae (BBA) which I actually quite like since it seems to concentrate its efforts in one area of the tank and looks 'natural'.  

In theory AlgExit might work. Although BBA is theoretically 'red' algae it's actually green and various users report that it deals with BBA successfully. Contrary to that is my supposition that its active ingredient is lanthanum chloride, LaCl3, which works by binding phosphate to calcium - thus rendering it unavailable to algae.  Presumably it renders it unavailable to higher plants, too, but (again presumably!) algae must keel over from phosphate deficiency before plants are affected too much, if at all.

Trouble is, there's little or no calcium in Guilt's water column and therefore there's little or nothing of use to LaCl3 in context! It's a blackwater(ish) tank and vital statistics are currently :

Temp 25.6C
GH <1
KH <1
pH 5.74
Conductivity 53.2uS
TDS 37.4
Photoperiod 7hrs
Plants : mainly Cryptocorynes and floating Salvinia.

I'm halfway through the recommended AlgExit course, having given the third dose yesterday. As yet there's no discernible change in the BBA.

I took a quick (5mins) video last night - mainly to illustrate the BBA but also to show what's happening in Guilt generally and in doing so distract the viewer from the scratches on this rather long-in-the-tooth tank:

(Most residents appear at some point but both Chocolate Gouramis and Kuhli loaches elected not to).

My expectation is that the AlgExit won't work even after extending the course beyond four weeks. Thereafter my plan is to introduce some calcium (I think I've got calcium chloride and calcium nitrate somewhere in my museum) and see if that makes a difference.

More news as I have it ...
[-] The following 4 users Like Vale!'s post:
  • Annie, PJN, plankton, scoobiemandan
Thanks given by:
didnt realise this tank was a rio 400!
Thanks given by:
Your algae is worse than mine V!, and I don't do anything so the BNs and otos can graze on it.......

Another interesting experiment to follow. Smile
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Well it is definitely working for me, could also be the EasyCarbo I am dosing daily as well. If you compare the two videos, looking at the Crypts and the large piece of bogwood, it is nearly gone in the second video.

Ian. 

https://youtu.be/69da2-YdovM

https://youtu.be/KajEuvPVI8g
Juwel Rio 450 LED

14 Rummynose Tetras
12 Glowlight Tetras
15 Cardinal Tetras
5 Red Phantom Tetras
4 Silvertip Tetras
5 Cherry Barbs
1 Pearl Gourami (female)
5 Sterbai Corys
3 Bandit Corys 
1 Panda Corys 
2 Bristlenose Plecs (how many) and  2 babys.
4 Bolivian Rams
10 Lemon Tetras

Tank 87% stocked  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes wingnut55's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
That's a lot of algae...!
Thanks given by:
The fourth dose of AlgExit has gone in. I was two days late with the water-change that accompanied it, but I don't suppose that matters very much.

Still not much/any obvious change to the BBA before I began the water-change but …

… there was a lot of fine particulate matter that had gathered in the Salvinia 'roots' and which I disturbed. I had a quick squint at it and it looks like dead plant stuff.  Also …

… when I did the syphoning-out I thought I'd have a bit of a poke at some BBA, and great clumps of it got torn off. I don't know whether or not this would have happened anyway, without the AlgExit, because I normally just leave it (the BBA) alone - fish seem to like foraging in it so I didn't want to clean it too much! Could it be that its attachment to its substrate is weakening? Also …

… when I looked more closely at BBA in the darker depths of the tank, I fancy it is actually receding.

I'm going to give it at least one more week before trying the calcium trick, to see what further progress there may be.

By the way - does anyone know exactly why Kuhli loaches go so berserk following a water-change? Is it the old "it's flooding, so I'd better get a bit of nookie" thing?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vale!'s post:
  • chris.tinker
Thanks given by:
Probably with the khulis. Smile
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Looks like a few of us have algae problems.
I am just about to, reluctantly, dose my second lot of AlgExit. I do not like using chemicals unless I am forced to. My tank has a bad dose of BBA and AlgExit is my last hope.
I am aware the underlying causes of the algae need to be corrected but I want to try and reduce it first. I have removed rocks and wood, given them a good scrubbing, but the BBA just returns.
Looks like Ian (Wingnut) has had a good result from AlgExit, I hope I get something similar although I think Ian was treating a different algae.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks given by:
By the way - does anyone know exactly why Kuhli loaches go so berserk following a water-change? Is it the old "it's flooding, so I'd better get a bit of nookie" thing?

this made me laugh
Thanks given by:
Good to have brightened your day a bit!

It wasn't entirely facetious, though : flooding of rivers into surrounding land increases access to food for fish, and that can trigger breeding behaviour!
Thanks given by: