This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
where members live
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:46 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 82
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 5218
Newman
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 12:00 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 287
Phantom tetras
Last Post: John Arnold
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 11
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 10:26 PM
» Replies: 50
» Views: 938
Smelly Wood
Last Post: Sixo
Yesterday 10:19 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 16
Hello from wilts
Last Post: Ba15
Yesterday 10:15 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 81
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:35 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 38
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 09:34 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 860
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Yesterday 09:29 PM
» Replies: 224
» Views: 5741
Bullying Platys
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 09:17 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 99
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 08:57 PM
» Replies: 64
» Views: 1300
Zora’s Domain
Last Post: Annie
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 198
Spies Tank
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:41 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 121
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:33 PM
» Replies: 737
» Views: 50851

Guilt Tank (continued)
Yes, MossyB - please do.  What are your water parameters? Any extra organics in it (from bogwood etc.)?

Does your BBA colonise distinct parts of the tank?  Mine concentrates where the current (such as it is) from the spraybar is at its fastest.
Thanks given by:
Um ... it's faintly possible that I've had a bit of a brainwave!

I mentioned this in Wingnut's thread, but I'll repeat it here because it's directly relevant ...

As far as I understand it, some/most/all species of BBA are naturally under-equipped for living in aquariums because they lack the ability to manufacture something essential to their operation. I think it's a vitamin. [Edit: I've now checked, and it seems to be vitamin B12].

So as a workaround they ingest bacteria that can ; a symbiosis much like, for example, 'green' Hydra ingesting single-cell algae which make carbohydrates for the Hydra to use.

If you look at most algae through a microscope it just sits there, inscrutable. If you look at BBA, the contents of its cells are (or were when I looked last!) jiggling around. I believe this is something to do with the ingested bacteria.

So in theory if we could nobble the bacteria the BBA should, in time, give up the ghost.

A standard aquarium ultraviolet lamp should quell the numbers of such bacteria in the water ; but what about the bacteria inside the BBA? Wouldn't it be good to be able to target-zap clumps of BBA with a hand-held uv-c pen (obviously it has to be waterproof) to see what might happen? The uv-c might also act negatively on BBA tissue itself (I don't know that, though).

Does such a thing exist? 

Well, so Mr. Google tells me - yes it does! The one I've found isn't in 'pen' form - the light-head is more of a square shape - but it's a step in the right direction.

I doubt very much that I could afford one (as is usually the case when prices aren't published openly!) but I shall make further enquiries.
Thanks given by:
Water-change done and a fifth dose of AlgExit put in. I also added a teaspoonful of calcium nitrate.

More BBA was detached with the syphon hose, so it looks as if the AlgExit has been trying to work. We'll see if there appears to be an acceleration in the rate of decline, BBA-wise, in the next three or four weeks.
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2019, 08:18 AM)Vale! Wrote: Yes, MossyB - please do.  What are your water parameters? Any extra organics in it (from bogwood etc.)?

Does your BBA colonise distinct parts of the tank?  Mine concentrates where the current (such as it is) from the spraybar is at its fastest.
Hi Vale.

Best I can do for water parameters are as follows.

Tank is 125ltr. Temp 25deg. PH 7.4. Amm. 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5/10, Tds 128, water hardness 2.66 Ger. (I live in Scotland, we have soft water with a high PH) Tank has Redmoor root and mopani wood in it the plants are Anubia, Java fern, crypts and Amazon swords. The BBA is colonising the wood and to be honest I don't mind it too much but my OH does not like it. My lighting is on for six hours a daily.

I did have a fair amount of algae on my plants but since I have been dosing with the AlgExit and Flourish Excel and there has been a considerable improvement.

I am only on my second treatment of the AlgExit so I live in hope.
Thanks given by:
Thanks, M.

BBA supposedly thrives in low-pH environments, in which dissolved CO2 concentration is elevated and carbonate concentration is lowered (the reverse is true for higher-pH environments. Both yours and mine would count as relatively low-pH in context, I think. Mine certainly is.

Given a choice it always seems to go for the wood first , doesn't it (does it?).  There must be something organic that it gets from wood ; or it has a relationship with something else which is using the wood's organics, maybe?i
Thanks given by:
Before today, the last water-change on this tank was two weeks ago ; for reasons I won't bore you with I missed last week. But along with that water-change I did a really good hoover of everything as well as changing most of the leaves and giving the fifth dose of AlgExit.

Thus today was the sixth dose of AlgExit in seven weeks.  During the water-change today more clumps of BBA were detached by the syphon and what remains is looking definitely worse for wear. I can't see any new BBA appearing ; but I can see in places wood which was previously obscured by its luxuriousness (if there is such a word).

The Kuhli loach did their mad dance again. I've learned that it's usually a response to low atmospheric pressure (I knew that happened with other fish species). They must somehow equate a water-change with that. Anyway I had my tablet handy so I took the opportunity to 'film' not only them but also the debris that I'd mentioned upthread. It was being stirred up by the incoming water. If I manage to upload the video (my normal video editing software has stopped working for some reason) you'll get a bit of an idea of how much stuff has appeared within two weeks. I'm sure now that this is dead BBA matter.

Ah! Video has uploaded at last. Apologies for the even-worse-than-usual quality, but I couldn't edit it!

Now there's something else relevant to report.  Undocumented here, I also had given the four-dose course of AlgExit to other tanks which had smatterings of BGA (Blue-Green Algae, aka Cyanobacteria) which I've been unable to get rid of for years. 

These tanks have even softer/more acidic water than the 'Guilt' tank we're talking about here, because they house Liquorice Gourami. I'd kind of forgotten about it because at the end of the four-week course I couldn't see any real difference.  Today it dawned on me that the BGA had in fact disappeared completely in all of those tanks but one! In that 'one' tank, the remnants of the BGA have moved (literally, I would think) to the surface of some Catappa leaves and look distictly forlorn.

The realisation came because the BGA has suddenly been replaced by some light-green fluffy/hair-type algae in the former tanks, and that's what caught my attention.  I looked in my algae book and the closest I can get (pretty close, I think) to a genus is Microspora. Its cells are a little bit longer than those of the particular species exemplified in the book but I reckon that's what it is.  I've resumed dosing those tanks with AlgExit to see if it'll now shift that too!
[-] The following 2 users Like Vale!'s post:
  • Gingerlove05, plankton
Thanks given by:
Black Mollies, they are my new friends for BBA.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Community 240L - Bertha 2
Cherax 160L - The Bistro (WIP)
Shrimp Nano - District 9

Thanks given by:
Not in V!'s tanks with his soft, acidic water, ok in hardwater tanks though if they're big enough. Wink Smile
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Indeed!

Having now read the instructions for AlgExit properly, I see that its active ingredient is salicylic acid, not the stuf I thought it might be.  Doh!

I've given some to #1 LFS to play with. They have a tank which was beautifully set up by a 'professionsl' during an aquascaping demonstration a couple of years ago. It's now infested with BGA and LFS Man is interested to hsve a pkay with AlgExit, having heard my story. We'll see what has or hasnt happened to the tank in six weeks or so.

It should be possible to buy pharmaceutical-grade salicylic acid and make one's own, if it really does turn out to tackle BGA (the strength of AlgExit's solution is written in the instructions).
Thanks given by: