This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Greetings from Manchester
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 15
Brown & toilet paper like bits!
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 26
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: Colin Whitworth
Yesterday 10:38 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 1804
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 09:36 PM
» Replies: 462
» Views: 41500
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: debiharry
Yesterday 09:26 PM
» Replies: 883
» Views: 39726
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 09:09 PM
» Replies: 1783
» Views: 267422
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 408
High nitrites during cycle
Last Post: DrHouse
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 45
Betta + tetra feeding.. How?
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 63
Han's Shrimpy Scape!
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 417
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Yesterday 06:58 PM
» Replies: 252
» Views: 5696
Going bigger
Last Post: piker
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1397
Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru
Last Post: Alex34
Yesterday 06:34 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 125
One of my danios is missing
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 05:46 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Wiggles tank
Last Post: Wiggles
Yesterday 05:18 PM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1799

RO Water or not
(17-07-2019, 04:23 PM)Baddams Wrote: 'Baddams that's interesting always been lead to believe that a 10 deg shift in temp can affect fish a lot'

Yeah, I'm sure it does.
I've got a 240l with a fair depth of sand substrate and some hefty granite cobbles.
I'm changing about 90l at a time, which is probably around 50% actual water volume.

Given that our tap water at this time of year isn't exactly freezing, I'm only seeing a 2 or 3 degree change in the temperature immediately after I've topped it back up. I'm assuming that the sand/stones are retaining (and then emitting) enough heat from before the change to minimise the temperature shift.*

*Note: I am not a qualified Physicist.
Yeah i would agree with you heat will be retained by everything in the tank at the temp your tank is set to, its also handy that your tap water stays warmish during the summer months, generally icy cold most the year where i live never more than around 14-16 deg.  Quite content now to try mixing with tap water as it will still keep my hardness hopefully down to what i am looking for and can use my tap water to hopefully bring the temps up.  Will find out in October when i have moved my wife keeps saying i am like a kid waiting for my birthday "is it now"  Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Where are you moving to? I'm in Bournemouth and all our water is abstracted from a couple of local rivers and treated/distributed straight away (no boreholes or reservoirs). The catchment of those water courses mean that my water's spent 800 years percolating down from Salisbury Plain before it comes out of my tap. As you say, liquid rock.

The tap temperature only varies from the river temperature by a degree or so all through the abstraction/treatment/distribution cycle - it's done that quickly - so it's freezing in winter, tepid in summer.
Interestingly, my local water company* are switching their final disinfection over from chlorination to UV, so I shouldn't need to condition it as much.

*Note: I worked there for a fair few years.
Thanks given by:
Fun enough i am moving right next to Salisbury plain near Andover not 100% sure were Veolia get there water from there a little tight lipped when it comes to getting info off them. like i said previous i lived in the area for about 12 years before shifting due to work but am heading back down hopefully using RO this time will mitigate some of the issues i had previously.
Thanks given by: