This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Pump and filter or is it all in one
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Today 04:31 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 13
Dark furry algae
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 04:10 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 25
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Today 04:03 PM
» Replies: 174
» Views: 3927
LED lights
Last Post: fr499y
Today 03:00 PM
» Views: 13
Aquarium Lights
Last Post: Risk4reward
Today 01:58 PM
» Views: 14
Cycling my 54L planted aquarium, need a little gui...
Today 01:34 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 235
Betta Cube - WIP
Today 01:30 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 272
Snails - damn snails
Today 01:26 PM
» Views: 19
The Whole Shebang
Last Post: fr499y
Today 12:24 PM
» Replies: 40
» Views: 1179
Swamp Draining Itself!
Last Post: Vale!
Today 11:43 AM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 250
Marbled or Silver Hatchet Fish
Last Post: Mfisher
Today 10:35 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 63
My 60l aqarium
Last Post: Annie
Today 08:46 AM
» Replies: 34
» Views: 1262
Return To The Vale!odrome
Today 08:27 AM
» Replies: 62
» Views: 859
Redesigning tank
Last Post: Mfisher
Yesterday 09:16 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 195
Guilt Tank (continued)
Yesterday 07:17 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 408

Clockwise
Um ... bit of a long shot, I know, but ...

Does anyone here know anything about horology ; or knows of a clocky-type person who might be prepared to offer a word of advice to a bumbling idiot?
Thanks given by:
A mechanical/pendulum clock, I take it?
Thanks given by:
Yes, PJN.

It's a Scottish long-case clock, a family heirloom bought secondhand by my Grandfather's Grandfather. It's by James Stewart of Glasgow (clockmaking between 1789 and 1798, If I remember rightly) ... and I can't get it to go because of something stupid that I did - just a lack of foresight, there's nothing damaged.
Thanks given by:
Do you know what you did? Is there any way to look into the inner workings? Did it work before this incident? If nothing's turning after having been wound up it could perhaps be some friction within the gears which just needs some lubrication or a push to get it going? It might also be worth checking that nothing is out of place, that everything is aligned.

When my mechanical watch wouldn't go, I managed to get it going after a nudge in the right direction to get the pendulum going, which could maybe work in your case?
Thanks given by:
Yes, I know exactly what I did. When I last dismantled it, I wound both weights up too far before unhooking them. I thought it might prevent the cord unravelling from the drums as the movement was being shifted from place to place in the house. Now, unfortunately, there's not enough slack in the cord to allow me to manipulate the cord back around the pulleys!

I need either a horologist or an expert in knots!
Thanks given by:
Failed my knot badge....and my horology..... Wink
Hope you find somebody without having to pay too much.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
I know a small bit about the knots, but I don't have much knowledge on those types of clocks. Most places nowerdays have a Local Facebook Group so you could see if anybody knows someone local from there? I guess there must be some forums out there too... Good luck. Smile
Thanks given by:
I'm pleased to report that the clock is now happily returned to its chief job of making sure that the neighbours are awake, every hour on the hour!

I found someone who knows about these things and slackened off the cords for me in exchange for a donation to his favourite charity, which I was more than happy to do.
Thanks given by:
Nice! my nan has a pretty rare clock, chimes on the half and the hour. Drives you bloody nuts though.
Thanks given by:
Well found. Smile
Hope you find it gives hours of fun now.....ASBO on it's way. Wink
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by: