This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
where members live
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:46 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 82
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 5219
Newman
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 12:00 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 288
Phantom tetras
Last Post: John Arnold
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 11
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 10:26 PM
» Replies: 50
» Views: 938
Smelly Wood
Last Post: Sixo
Yesterday 10:19 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 16
Hello from wilts
Last Post: Ba15
Yesterday 10:15 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 81
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:35 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 38
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 09:34 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 860
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Yesterday 09:29 PM
» Replies: 224
» Views: 5741
Bullying Platys
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 09:17 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 99
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 08:57 PM
» Replies: 64
» Views: 1300
Zora’s Domain
Last Post: Annie
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 199
Spies Tank
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:41 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 121
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:33 PM
» Replies: 737
» Views: 50852

Return To The Vale!odrome
Phew! I was worried that you'd fallen off and grazed your knee again. Glad you're OK.

If I'd thought about it I could have had so much more fun with your username (... anwers to chris stop stop stop chris stop if seen ... etc.). I used to do similar things in Another Place until someone registered, somewhat bizarrely, with the username 'catslittertray'. I simply couldn't help myself. It didn't go down too well with the name's owner, so I figured I'd better lay off doing that sort of thing! stop.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vale!'s post:
  • plankton
Thanks given by:
Ahead of compiling results for Game 9 I thought I'd just give an update on what's happening in the tank (remember that?!) so far as denitrification is concerned.

At 4th August, so 19 days ago, nitrate in the tank was averaged over three different tests. It came out at 54.19mg/l.  One of the tests was a photometer, which read 57.59mg/l ; so I'm going to use only that from now on.

Since 4th August I've been using 2ml doses of ammonia solution to reach an in-tank concentration of c1mg/l. Each of the 10 doses has been allowed to oxidise fully, taking around thirty-six hours to reach zero***.

Using the same maths as before (Reply #129, page 13) a nitrate test on 21st August should have reported an in-tank concentration of around 94.79mg/l.  The actual reading was 76.63mg/l.  So a certain degree of denitrification still seems to be happening, although I've realised that I don't have enough data-points to try to work out whether its rate changed after I removed the loose wood. Doh!

Tank stats this morning were : EC 503uS/cm  ;  pH5.38 ;  TA (Hanna) 0  ;  NO2 0.03[0]

The highest pH recorded during the period was 5.68, and the lowest 4.61, the latter just for one day - otherwise it's typically been around 5.3. KH still came back as zero whenever I checked occasionally.

So this morning I did a "Christo" and covered up the planting islands as best I could with plastic sheets (actually bin bags cut up!) to try to limit their exposure to tank water.  I don't want to switch on the tank lights just yet, but hopefully you get the idea from a natural-light pic :

[Image: Ln5V4tgl.jpg]

I'm also increasing the ammonia doses back up to 3.8ml to try to hasten progress to the next nitrate test ; and also to see how the microblighters respond after nearly three weeks at a lower concentration.

*** We might have thought that, by now and even with no media in the filter, TA0 would much be quicker than that.  As a 'fun' thing to do (no points or reputations at stake!) can anyone hazard a guess, or does anyone know, as to probably why it isn't quicker? I can think of two reasons, one more probable than the other, IMO. There may be more?
Thanks given by:
I would imagine it might be because the bacteria will be colonised around the tank, rather than in the high flow & high food area in the filter, my other speculation would be the low carbonates preventing them from processing any faster.
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 05:23 PM)Gingerlove05 Wrote: my other speculation would be the low carbonates preventing them from processing any faster.

I was thinking along the same lines as the KH is zero.
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
Thanks given by:
I agree too. If you upped the ph and KH I expect it would speed up a bit.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise - Decommissioned Sad
200L The Barbarium….Green Tiger Barbs and Nerite snails
20L Nano Marine.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by: