This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the...
Last Post: yorkiejeff
Today 05:45 AM
» Replies: 30
» Views: 545
New friends and background
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Today 12:31 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 56
I.D please
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 47
hi all am new to this just joined as stephen reffe...
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:52 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 35
Hi All!!
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 11:42 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 58
New used project
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 11:31 PM
» Replies: 45
» Views: 1136
Is my fish full of eggs or just overweight?
Yesterday 11:26 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 230
New Video of shoaling fish
Yesterday 11:11 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 81
NAME THAT FISH - GAME
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:00 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 133
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Sarah
Yesterday 10:17 PM
» Replies: 213
» Views: 4899
Fostering/Adopting a dog.
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:23 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 625
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbar...
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 524
» Views: 16020
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 07:46 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 52845
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 07:45 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1488
Nicks tanks.
Yesterday 07:42 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 396

Cycling my 54L planted aquarium, need a little guidance
I was wondering If someone could potentially give me some guidance on how long a cycle takes for my tank. 

The tank will be for a few guppies.

I have a 54 litre tank, fully planted with java moss, java fern, amazon sword and some dwarf grass. Using fluval stratum substrate. 

It's set at 26 degrees Celsius. 

It's got a filter running, I've added an ornament and  filter media and sponge from my other healthy tank (established of course).

I've also added some fluval cycle beneficial bacteria. 

I also added some flakes for some ammonia to build up.

The GH, KH AND PH are optimum at the moment (36 hours later)

I tested the ammonia at 24 hours and It was at 1.0ppm 

I've just tested the ammonia again, at 36 hours, it's at 0.3ppm 

The Nitrites are at 0.2 mg/L

The Nitrates are 80 mg/L 

I did a 25% water change to remove the nitrates, they're now at 40 mg/L 
Added de-chlorinater to the fresh water

I wasn't entirely sure on how much water to change out. I'm a little impatient, hence why I've opted to use media and BB in a bottle. 

It's also my first time cycling a tank, the tank I already have was my sisters, which was cycled, in the last year i've made sure it's all healthy, everything is good in that tank. 

So I'd like to know if it sounds as if I'm doing everything correctly and safely? and if anyone has an idea of how long, roughly, it would take for the planted tank to cycle and be safe for a couple of fish to be introduced. 

I've thought of introducing 2 guppies to help with the cycling, and monitor the ammonia etc. but that worries me a little, purely for their health, as i'm not experienced at all with cycling.
Thanks given by:
If you used cycled media from an established tank then a cycle won’t take long at all. It’s easier to do if you use liquid ammonia rather than food as you can control the levels. You are aiming for 2ppm of ammonia to be processed through to nitrate within 24 hours.

You do not need to do any water changes until right at the end of the cycle where you have zero ammonia and zero nitrite after adding 2ppm of ammonia for 3 days in a row. You are then cycled. That’s when you do a massive water change. Refill with fresh water then add fish.

Do not add fish whilst cycling as this is extremely harmful to them and is unnecessary. Also a “fish in” cycle takes longer and is much more hard work than using ammonia in most cases.

On the main forum page there is a Guides and Resources section in the top right corner. In there is a cycling guide so have a read of that.

What are the GH ph and KH? You say they are optimum but that will depend on the fish you are stocking as different fish need different parameters.

Hope that helps. Also welcome to the forum Smile
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheltgirl's post:
  • harveystann123
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2019, 03:10 PM)Cheltgirl Wrote: If you used cycled media from an established tank then a cycle won’t take long at all. It’s easier to do if you use liquid ammonia rather than food as you can control the levels. You are aiming for 2ppm of ammonia to be processed through to nitrate within 24 hours.

You do not need to do any water changes until right at the end of the cycle where you have zero ammonia and zero nitrite after adding 2ppm of ammonia for 3 days in a row. You are then cycled. That’s when you do a massive water change. Refill with fresh water then add fish.

Do not add fish whilst cycling as this is extremely harmful to them and is unnecessary. Also a “fish in” cycle takes longer and is much more hard work than using ammonia in most cases.

On the main forum page there is a Guides and Resources section in the top right corner. In there is a cycling guide so have a read of that.

What are the GH ph and KH? You say they are optimum but that will depend on the fish you are stocking as different fish need different parameters.

Hope that helps. Also welcome to the forum Smile

Thank you for getting back to me so quick. still trying to work out the forum, I'll have a look at the guides, thank you. 
I'll be having a stroll around maidenhead aquatics shortly, so if they have any ammonia, I'll pick some up. 

The aquarium would be housing guppies, so my general hardness is at 9dGH, which is ok for guppies right?
PH around 7.4 and the KH is at 120

thank you  Smile
Thanks given by:
if MH don't have ammonia just grab something like the below of amazon just make sure its only ingredients are water and ammonia no frothing agents or detergents.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kleen-Off-500ml...way&sr=8-4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Risk4reward's post:
  • harveystann123
Thanks given by:
MA won’t have ammonia but they will try and sell you an expensive potion. Go to Homebase B&Q or similar hardware store and buy a bottle of household ammonia like the one linked to above. As said it will need to be free of perfume and surfactants.
  • harveystann123
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2019, 03:40 PM)Cheltgirl Wrote: MA won’t have ammonia but they will try and sell you an expensive potion. Go to Homebase B&Q or similar hardware store and buy a bottle of household ammonia like the one linked to above. As said it will need to be free of perfume and surfactants.
oh cool ok, thanks for letting me know. 

Do you know how much ammonia I'd need to put into the tank to hit the 2ppm level? Or is it just a case of adding little amounts and testing until i'm at 2ppm?
Thanks given by:
In the guides and resources section just next to the guide to cycling is an ammonia calculator that's excellent. In a 54l tank you will only need a very small amount of ammonia at a time so you may want to find a very small syringe (1ml). You might be able to get them from a chemist. I bought mine online.
  • harveystann123
Thanks given by:
Use the calculator on the site test your tank and then add those reading to calculator to see what you need to dose.
https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/misc.ph...elp&hid=12
[-] The following 1 user Likes Risk4reward's post:
  • harveystann123
Thanks given by:
Regarding your earlier question about hardness levels for guppies. Have a read here http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/poe...eticulata/

It's a great website for finding out info and requirements for hundreds of fish species.
  • harveystann123
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2019, 04:04 PM)Cheltgirl Wrote: Regarding your earlier question about hardness levels for guppies. Have a read here http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/poe...eticulata/

It's a great website for finding out info and requirements for hundreds of fish 
Haven't seen that seriously fish website before, very handy. 
I'll do some reading up on the guides shortly, off on the hunt for some ammonia now.

I'll order it off Amazon if I fail to find some before the shops shut. 

Once the tank is completely cycled and my fish friends are settled in, I'll post some pictures  Smile

Thank you for the help guys
[-] The following 1 user Likes harveystann123's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by: