This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
where members live
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:46 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 82
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 5218
Newman
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 12:00 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 287
Phantom tetras
Last Post: John Arnold
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 11
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 10:26 PM
» Replies: 50
» Views: 938
Smelly Wood
Last Post: Sixo
Yesterday 10:19 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 16
Hello from wilts
Last Post: Ba15
Yesterday 10:15 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 81
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:35 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 38
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 09:34 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 860
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Yesterday 09:29 PM
» Replies: 224
» Views: 5741
Bullying Platys
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 09:17 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 99
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 08:57 PM
» Replies: 64
» Views: 1300
Zora’s Domain
Last Post: Annie
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 198
Spies Tank
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:41 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 121
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:33 PM
» Replies: 737
» Views: 50851

Dark furry algae
Hi all

Our plants have a lot of furry algae on them and the plant growth isn't as healthy as it should be.

We had an issue with our original tank breaking one night and this is our new tank, however the plant growth is not as healthy as it was before. 

Ph is 6.5
Temp is 27
Nitrite and nitrate 0

The main plated areas have plant substrates beneath the gravel, the rest is small gravel with a small amount of sand mixed in.

We live in a hard water area however that wasn't a problem before and the local shop said the hardness isn't a problem.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Dave
Thanks given by:
Tried to upload photos but it's not posting them for some reason
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome Dave Smile
A couple of questions, how long are your lights on for? Do you use plant fertilisers? And what is your maintenance regime eg 30% water changes weekly?
There are numerous causes for algae, but they cant take advantage when plants struggle.
The attachment have an issue atm admin is working on it Smile
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2019, 04:10 PM)Gingerlove05 Wrote: Hello and welcome Dave Smile
A couple of questions, how long are your lights on for? Do you use plant fertilisers? And what is your maintenance regime eg 30% water changes weekly?
There are numerous causes for algae, but they cant take advantage when plants struggle.
The attachment have an issue atm admin is working on it Smile

Thanks for the reply and the welcome.

They are on 8-6 1 plant specific tube 1 daylight. I was using fertiliser and a CO2 additive but it was making no difference (after quite some time) so stopped, even my elodea densa doesn't grow. 
Filtration set up is the same as before.

The thing is, in the old aquarium there was just sand as the substrate, 2 standards lights on 7 to 7, no fertiliser or CO2 and I hand to rigorously trim the plants every week as everything grew amazingly well.

This time the substrate is plant specific, lighting as recommended by the shop, fertiliser and CO2 and more effort being put in and it's really struggling.

I'm now just questioning the actual benefit of all the plant specific products out there, as I'm using them and following instructions and it is nowhere near as good as before?!
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the lighting is better in the new tank.
Cut it back to 6 hours, get rid of the algae (spot-dosing hydrogen peroxide (3% or 6%) will kill it) and then build back up to 8 hours, that's all any plants will need.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
I agree.
You may also want to do some larger water changes more regularly to replenish nutrients in the water and remove any dying leaves and waste. Also if you stopped dosing the ferts the plants will have had less nutrients to feed off, allowing algae to take over as algae doesn't need a lot of nutrients to start growing.
The same can be said for the lights, if the lights are better in the new tank the plants would require more nutrients or less time with the light on to use the same amount of nutrients (more light = more photosynthesis).
As Ian has mentioned hydrogen peroxide can be spot dosed on to the algae (just dont catch any of your fish/livestock) which will help kill it, the regular changes and cleaning will help remove a lot of it.
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by: