This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
New Tank Setup: Patience required?
Last Post: mike.white
Today 02:51 PM
» Replies: 72
» Views: 1166
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: Marty.h
Today 02:49 PM
» Replies: 900
» Views: 40016
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Today 02:37 PM
» Replies: 256
» Views: 5879
Newbie Advice
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 02:35 PM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 1646
Matt's 450
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 02:30 PM
» Replies: 116
» Views: 3375
Benvilles' Tanks
Last Post: Annie
Today 01:05 PM
» Replies: 677
» Views: 339
Mol_PMB's wildlife pond
Last Post: Mol_PMB
Today 12:37 PM
» Replies: 105
» Views: 1997
Water Change Frequency
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:04 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 37
Hi from Bedford!
Last Post: Stephen
Today 11:48 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 68
Going bigger
Last Post: Si4geckos
Today 11:31 AM
» Replies: 71
» Views: 1484
Little project
Last Post: Annie
Today 11:11 AM
» Replies: 40
» Views: 614
Female Dwarf Gourami
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Today 10:36 AM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 112
Cleaning filter/pump, why's it never work after cl...
Last Post: Maz
Today 10:35 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 31
How many fish to add at once
Last Post: plankton
Today 09:52 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 100
Jon's TroublesomeTank
Last Post: plankton
Today 09:22 AM
» Replies: 24
» Views: 406

Back to fish keeping
[Image: pSL9ty2l.jpg]

thanks[Image: QEDMgyDl.jpg][Image: y8DSgjsl.jpg]

Hello , i recently purchased a new tank after not having one for a few years , its a 54 litre tropical tank . 

it has 
3 corys
7 guppys 
7 neons 

is this to much , this is my first tropical tank , i used to keep goldfish and had a much bigger 4ft tank 

any advice or criticism is welcome 
thanks

iv added some pictures of my current set up i think  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes ivybell's post:
  • Gingerlove05
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome Smile
I would increase the cory numbers as they are gregarious and prefer a group of 6+, they also dont scavenge and need a high protein/meaty diet.
You may also end up with fry (and lots of them) if you have male and female guppies.
Otherwise i would ask what is your water hardness (this can normally be looked up on your water supplier website). As neons and corys prefer/need softer water than the guppies who need hard water.
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
Our water is 14.05 according to the website, we bought the Cory's yesterday from pets at home and they said 3 was ok. Would my tank be suitable for another 3?. Iv been feeding them catfish pellets but I have other food arriving soon
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome to the site ! Your tanks looks great. Enjoy the forum.
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze, Peppered  & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
14.05 what? Clark, french or german?
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
Sorry 14.05 Clark
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum Smile
That's about 11dGH I think, so it's fine for the guppies.
A little on the hard side for corys, just make sure you keep the water maintenance well, as they will suffer it there's any ammonia spikes, so extra water changes.
The corys will need more meaty foods (frozen if you find it hard to track down decent live food like me) as they are basically carnivores, and not scavengers.
Keep the tank around 22C, they'll all be happy at that temp.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
One of the corys has gone from bad to worse (i think) . From the minute we got him home he was acting differently to the other 2 , not as active very sluggish etc , he barely moves and sits out in the open all the time . infact i thought he was dead yesterday as he was upside down at the bottom of the tank . On looking closer at him his dorsal fin is always down , where as the others are up . Also is gils have what i can only describe as hair? coming out of them . Iv tried getting a picture but my camera doesnt pick it up sadly . Any ideas what i can do to help him ? . As for feeding i tried to find some meaty foods for them at pets at home (my only local fish store ) and they had nothing . is there somewhere online i can order from ? . i have algea wafers coming are the suitable ?
Thanks given by:
Algae wafers don't have the meat protein and won't be sufficient.
It sounds like he has gill flukes from the description. Can you get a pic up (use the Imgur button on the left when you use "New Reply")?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
[quote=[Image: noVcRXLl.jpg][Image: pXtJ8gcl.jpg]
[Image: wTDdUDBl.jpg]

thats the best i can get , hes awkwardly sitting with the worst side hidden , and the camera really isnt showing what i see in person . Yes i know the algea wafers arent meat , i just meant are they suitable for the fishes i have as a treat
Thanks given by:
Pets at home normally have a freezer in a corner with all the frozen foods in. You can order online maybe amazon if they don’t.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
yea ours used to , but it had a refit last year to add a vets at the back , so the fish space has been halved and the only freezer stuff is raw dog food . I'll take a look on amazon thanks
Thanks given by:
Is pets at home the only shop near you? You tend to find some big garden centres have tropical fish stores or at least they all seem to near me
Thanks given by:
we do have one more "pet store" but it doesnt have a very good reputation in the area , so we completely avoid it . And the only garden centre we have is homebase
Thanks given by:
[Image: 7nqcDPhl.jpg]

Scar keeps doing this now , i really think hes on the way out Sad all my other fish are fine eating swimming great , just him . He was on his own in a tank at pets at home so maybe that has something to do with it ?
Thanks given by: