This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
where members live
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:46 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 82
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 5218
Newman
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 12:00 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 287
Phantom tetras
Last Post: John Arnold
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 11
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 10:26 PM
» Replies: 50
» Views: 938
Smelly Wood
Last Post: Sixo
Yesterday 10:19 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 16
Hello from wilts
Last Post: Ba15
Yesterday 10:15 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 81
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:35 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 38
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 09:34 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 860
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Yesterday 09:29 PM
» Replies: 224
» Views: 5741
Bullying Platys
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 09:17 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 99
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 08:57 PM
» Replies: 64
» Views: 1300
Zora’s Domain
Last Post: Annie
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 198
Spies Tank
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:41 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 121
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:33 PM
» Replies: 737
» Views: 50851

Misinformation from LFS
This is subjective, but both my local LFS give me conflicting information, one is very anti-internet and tells me to not believe everything I read, the other one is more... old school.

I brought up keeping guppy in soft water to one and was told "I've never had a problem keeping them in soft water" and when asked if he kept guppies at home (as I know they're typically only in the holding tanks for a short period before people buy them), I was told the same, I also asked this same LFS about neon Tetra Disease to which he also denied it was an issue.

I understand they need to sell fish and don't want to put people off potential sales but they should have the welfare of the fish above everything else.

If I had a FS I'd end up going bankrupt.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spies's post:
  • Cheltgirl, Gingerlove05
Thanks given by:
Many fish will ‘survive’ in water that is outside of the ideal range of hardness and other factors, temperature for example, but they are unlikely to ‘thrive’. So you will get many people saying that they kept guppy’s etc and they were fine. I’ve heard people say it’s fine to keep a goldfish in a bowl as theirs lived for 3 years and only grew as big as the bowl. Well seeing as a goldfish should reach 35+ centimetres and live for at least 20+ years that’s not so good but in their minds it is.

There will always be conflicting information and you certainly shouldn’t take anything you read as gospel. You have to read lots and lots and find out what is most likely or more common and work around that.

It has been, in my experience, fish shops that give the most out of date and bad information out but they won’t accept that as they have been keeping fish for years. Well, that doesn’t mean you’ve been doing it right for years Smile

I too have thought it would be great to work/own a fish shop but I would never make any money either as probably 98% of people wouldn’t be able to pass my ‘tests’ rofl
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise - Decommissioned Sad
200L The Barbarium….Green Tiger Barbs and Nerite snails
20L Nano Marine.....stocking in progress!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheltgirl's post:
  • Gingerlove05
Thanks given by:
Its true what Cheltgirl says, fish can survive outside their preferred parameters but they wont thrive or they may develop health issues that they struggle to shift. I’m lucky the guys at my lfs actually ask about and test the water for cycling, they’re also pretty inquisitive with any new comers/keepers and will explain that some fish need groups or swim room, or whether they are community suitable. Not saying they dont just make sales but they will give out sound advice along with it, after that its down to the people to listen.
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gingerlove05's post:
  • Cheltgirl
Thanks given by:
You'll find there aren't too many that give the best advice, but when you do find one, it can be better to stick with them.
I've stopped listening to their advice as I realise they're basically there to make a profit......
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
I have discussed keeping of Guppys and Swordtails on the other site. I have soft water, but have kept and bred both varieties, although following tests on my latest set up, found the gravel I used was raising the hardness, but not by massive amounts when doing regular water changes. Maybe the water in my old tanks (15 years ago, back to 40 years ago!) was just hard enough? I see some online sources that say both fish can do well in 'moderately hard to very hard'  water, and could the constant breeding of stocks in less hard waters mahe them adapt?
I rang my lfs about this, they said that the fish are perfectly fine in soft water, and that online experts just like to sound clever!
I was in my shop a few days ago, a guy was buying loads of tropical fish, in all he had about 12 bags of fish. Turns out he went on holiday, someone who was supposed to feed the original fish didn't do so, and he returned to a tank full of dead fish. He had removed them, and was going to drop the entire new stock into the same water...I expressed my concerns, tried to warn him that fish don't starve to death in a week, the shop staff said nothing, they just took a load of money off him  Angry
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2019, 02:59 PM)jacksdad Wrote: I was in my shop a few days ago, a guy was buying loads of tropical fish, in all he had about 12 bags of fish. Turns out he went on holiday, someone who was supposed to feed the original fish didn't do so, and he returned to a tank full of dead fish. He had removed them, and was going to drop the entire new stock into the same water...I expressed my concerns, tried to warn him that fish don't starve to death in a week, the shop staff said nothing, they just took a load of money off him  Angry

Oh d-e-a-r l-o-r-d-y! You can almost see how this will pan out....
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2019, 02:59 PM)jacksdad Wrote: I was in my shop a few days ago, a guy was buying loads of tropical fish, in all he had about 12 bags of fish. Turns out he went on holiday, someone who was supposed to feed the original fish didn't do so, and he returned to a tank full of dead fish. He had removed them, and was going to drop the entire new stock into the same water...I expressed my concerns, tried to warn him that fish don't starve to death in a week, the shop staff said nothing, they just took a load of money off him  Angry

I have also unfortunately witnessed this in P@H in Eastleigh. The seller was trying to sell 4 x Tiger Barbs with a Betta and shrimp.

I had to step in and tell the buyer to maybe research a bit and advised about the aggression of barbs with slower fish and shrimp.

The P@H rep was pretty p’ed off with me.
———————————————————————————
Juwel Rio 450
New World Cichlids
Remainder from closed down tank
Overstocked but happy.
[-] The following 2 users Like Redders's post:
  • Cheltgirl, chris.tinker
Thanks given by:

Awful. Which shop is this?
Fluval 240L with 306. Water 1.68 dGh. 

19 Harlequin Rasbora, 15 Rummynose Tetra, 10 Panda Corydoras, 2 Bolivian Rams and 2 Amano shrimp.
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2019, 06:51 PM)Spies Wrote: This is subjective, but both my local LFS give me conflicting information, one is very anti-internet and tells me to not believe everything I read, the other one is more... old school.

I brought up keeping guppy in soft water to one and was told "I've never had a problem keeping them in soft water" and when asked if he kept guppies at home (as I know they're typically only in the holding tanks for a short period before people buy them), I was told the same, I also asked this same LFS about neon Tetra Disease to which he also denied it was an issue.

I understand they need to sell fish and don't want to put people off potential sales but they should have the welfare of the fish above everything else.

If I had a FS I'd end up going bankrupt.

Each and everyone of us (including LFS) have a duty of care to our pets whether fish, dogs, cats, horses etc.. 
That "Duty of Care" is also covered by the Animal Welfare Act (2006) and is law in Britain.

I'll re-write my thread (from another place) and post it here on this forum.

Some LFS are excellent and some not so good.
Often you'll find the staff are just assistants and have no real knowledge about fish keeping and fish welfare, others are passionate about fish keeping.
Just like popping in to ASDA and buying a kettle, the assistant is likely to have no real knowledge about kettles and will often read from the box if asked a question.

It is best to do your own research or ask questions on excellent forums such as this one where you'll get answers from fellow fish keepers many of which are very knowledgeable.
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
[-] The following 5 users Like Stephen's post:
  • BalloonMolly, Cheltgirl, CrashEd, Mito, Ric
Thanks given by: