This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
where members live
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:46 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 84
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 5220
Newman
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 12:00 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 289
Phantom tetras
Last Post: John Arnold
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 13
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 10:26 PM
» Replies: 50
» Views: 939
Smelly Wood
Last Post: Sixo
Yesterday 10:19 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 17
Hello from wilts
Last Post: Ba15
Yesterday 10:15 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 82
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:35 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 38
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 09:34 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 861
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Yesterday 09:29 PM
» Replies: 224
» Views: 5741
Bullying Platys
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 09:17 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 99
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 08:57 PM
» Replies: 64
» Views: 1300
Zora’s Domain
Last Post: Annie
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 199
Spies Tank
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:41 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 121
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:33 PM
» Replies: 737
» Views: 50853

What can you grow in a Fluval Roma 240?
Using the stock LED lighting, would you be able to grow pretty much anything from the 'easy' range of tropica plants?
Thanks given by:
Yup, should be able to grow medium ones as well without too much of a problem ( might need co2 though )
Thanks given by:
I have this tank and use the stock lighting. I use liquid carbon, fertiliser (once a week) and root tabs to supplement the plants.

I have two anubias nana variants, java fern and moss, Amazon swords, sagittaria subulata, hygrophillia polysperma, bacopa caroliniana, two types of cryptocoryne and vallosneria.

All are from aquarium gardens beginner plant section. They have grown pretty well! The java fern, moss, bacopa and amazon swords in particular seem to be indestructible.

Plants that haven’t done well include water sprite and frogbit, however these were floating plants and I have a relatively strong current. The filter output points towards surface and I have an air stone. I also didn’t do well with echinodoros harbich but think that was my fault in terms of where I positioned it.

(Apologies for any spelling mistakes!)
Fluval 240L with 306. Water 1.68 dGh. 

19 Harlequin Rasbora, 15 Rummynose Tetra, 10 Panda Corydoras, 2 Bolivian Rams and 2 Amano shrimp.
Thanks given by:
Hi Spies

I've the same tank (with a Fluval 305, no CO2 or ferts) and I've done well with Java Ferns, Val & Hygrophila guanensis. I've struggled with melting Swords and any type of carpeting plants.
I think my issues have been around water hardness, substrate choice and lighting, rather than the tank itself - although the depth & stock lighting combo might not help with the carpeting.
Thanks given by:
Some pics of my Fluval Roma 240 over the years, when it still had the old light tubes. All low-tech / easy-grow plants:

[Image: 2aGROdAl.jpg]

[Image: Nq1J7ZQl.jpg]

[Image: Xr8M2gzl.jpg]

[Image: luq7e4Vl.jpg]

[Image: avV8ZN6l.jpg]

[Image: TGLtBE7l.jpg]

[Image: zgOAufsl.jpg]

[Image: 4pGlk8Gl.jpg]

[Image: WVeZz7nl.jpg]

[Image: sAToUprl.jpg]

[Image: nk2PmV1l.jpg]

[Image: bmZsIQcl.jpg]

[Image: QdKLV45l.jpg]
[-] The following 6 users Like Ric's post:
  • Baddams, Gingerlove05, lelmarky, Netsu, Redders, Spies
Thanks given by: Spies
What is that red plant in the 7th pic please?

19 Harlequin Rasbora, 15 Rummynose Tetra, 10 Panda Corydoras, 2 Bolivian Rams and 2 Amano shrimp.
Thanks given by:
The good old favourite Hygrophila Polysperma 'rosanervig'. It turned redder the closer it grew towards the surface.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ric's post:
  • Netsu
Thanks given by:
Is the 307 sufficient for this tank? I've seen recommendations that you immediately upgrade to the 407.
Thanks given by:
I guess it depends on what stocking level you have. I’ve found it sufficient for my set up so far (apparently I’m slightly under stocked).

In the process of saving for a 406 and lighting upgrade in the future though.

Thanks given by:
Thanks Ric. I’d love an “easy” red plant to contrast with all the dark green (except for the anubias gold nana) in my tank.

I don’t intend on ever getting a CO2 system.

Thanks given by: