This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Introduction
Last Post: Markc
Today 06:32 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 96
where members live
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:46 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 84
Stephen's 600L tank log:
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 5220
Newman
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 12:00 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 289
Phantom tetras
Last Post: John Arnold
Yesterday 10:59 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 13
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 10:26 PM
» Replies: 50
» Views: 939
Smelly Wood
Last Post: Sixo
Yesterday 10:19 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 17
Hello from wilts
Last Post: Ba15
Yesterday 10:15 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 82
Dwarf Gourami - Help
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:35 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 38
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: lunar jetman
Yesterday 09:34 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 861
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Yesterday 09:29 PM
» Replies: 224
» Views: 5742
Bullying Platys
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 09:17 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 99
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 08:57 PM
» Replies: 64
» Views: 1300
Zora’s Domain
Last Post: Annie
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 199
Spies Tank
Last Post: Ric
Yesterday 08:41 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 122

festivum Behaviour
Hello, 
Being relatively new to all of this wondered if my behaviour of my pair of festive s is normal .
I’ve had them from the lfs for about 3 months and one being about 4 inches and the other being slightly smaller so thinking male/female. They have been great to the rest of its tank mates chasing the smaller one around quite a bit but no harm done. All of a sudden they both have gone very shy, hiding at the back and in any little crevice and turning a very dark colour. Occasionally they go berserk especially feeding time and shoot around hitting the lid and hiding again. They are eating still but not to the same degree. I’ve done my water testing and all good with no ammonia etc on my soft water. 
Any ideas or is this normal ?
Thanks given by:
Flag cichlids are quite a nice looking fish, I had some a few years ago.
They do however like the water quite warm and I would suggest something around 26/27/28C long-term.
They also do best in a well planted tank where the lighting is not too strong.

Quote:and turning a very dark colour
This is usually a sign of stress and is common in many cichlid species.

What other fish do you have in the same tank?
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
Thanks given by:
9 x cardinals
I x Bolivian ram
1x splash tetra
6 x platys 
7 corys
1  albino b/ n
1 green phantom 
4 albino cherry barbs
10 pencil fish
Thanks given by:
The cardinal tetra, Bolivian ram, splash tetra, pencilfish and green phantom plec will be fine at 26C but the others won't appreciate the warmer temperatures.
Platy, Bristlnose plec, corydoras are all better at lower temps at around 23C.

What is your tank water temperature?
Which corydoras do you have? Sterbai cory are usually fine at 26C.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
Thanks given by:
I’ve set my temperature at 24 but currently been between 25/26. Can’t seem to get it lower with the warmer temperatures we have been having and don’t want the lid open just in case I lose my last splash tetra from jumping out.
The corys type I’m unsure about. Small at mo with dots like a peppered I think. Have the long name wrote down somewhere
Thanks given by:
Do you have a pic of the cory so that we can ID it?

My Flickr page
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2019, 09:35 AM)Gripes Wrote: Hello, 
Being relatively new to all of this wondered if my behaviour of my pair of festive s is normal .
I’ve had them from the lfs for about 3 months and one being about 4 inches and the other being slightly smaller so thinking male/female. They have been great to the rest of its tank mates chasing the smaller one around quite a bit but no harm done. All of a sudden they both have gone very shy, hiding at the back and in any little crevice and turning a very dark colour. Occasionally they go berserk especially feeding time and shoot around hitting the lid and hiding again. They are eating still but not to the same degree. I’ve done my water testing and all good with no ammonia etc on my soft water. 
Any ideas or is this normal ?

Turning dark and hiding in a corner may indicate spawning. That's what my cupids do.
Mol_PMB
Thanks given by:
[img Wrote:https://i.imgur.com/oeaURo1l.jpg[/img]fStephen pid='31192' dateline='1565944954']Do you have a pic of the cory so that we can ID it?
Thanks given by:
I JThey are behaving slightly better today. 
If they like heavily planted tanks but don’t like to much light, won’t less lighting effect condition of plants? 
 A couple pics of the festivums [Image: xrWrq3Tl.jpg]u[Image: wPrjKSKl.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like Gripes's post:
  • Baddams, plankton, Stevieglasgow
Thanks given by:
[Image: t0D2OXdl.jpg]

Struggling with photos and attaching, hope this works
[-] The following 3 users Like Gripes's post:
  • Baddams, plankton, Stevieglasgow
Thanks given by: