This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Greetings from Manchester
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 15
Brown & toilet paper like bits!
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 26
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: Colin Whitworth
Yesterday 10:38 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 1804
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 09:36 PM
» Replies: 462
» Views: 41500
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: debiharry
Yesterday 09:26 PM
» Replies: 883
» Views: 39726
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 09:09 PM
» Replies: 1783
» Views: 267421
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 408
High nitrites during cycle
Last Post: DrHouse
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 45
Betta + tetra feeding.. How?
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 63
Han's Shrimpy Scape!
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 417
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Yesterday 06:58 PM
» Replies: 252
» Views: 5696
Going bigger
Last Post: piker
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1397
Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru
Last Post: Alex34
Yesterday 06:34 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 125
One of my danios is missing
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 05:46 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Wiggles tank
Last Post: Wiggles
Yesterday 05:18 PM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1799

Disappearing shrimp - how to tempt them out?
I'm trying out keeping shrimp again, after the ones I had (amanos) at the beginning of my aquarium life died. This time I'm trying what Tropco described as "blue shrimp", which I believe are Blue Velvet Shrimp: https://aquaticarts.com/pages/blue-velve...care-guide

I added them to the tank two days ago and they were around for awhile, but then they vanished overnight and haven't been seen since. Is this normal? I'm guessing my gold barbs wouldn't touch them? 

I have no idea where they'd be hiding either - underneath some wood I guess. I've put some cucumber in and hope that'll tempt them out...
Thanks given by:
I had blue velvets, they are amazing at hiding and just when you lose all hope you spot one. They do hide after molting especially when there are other fish in the tank, they are quite vulnerable after a molt.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jen1981's post:
  • Stevieglasgow
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2019, 03:54 PM)Mfisher Wrote: I'm trying out keeping shrimp again, after the ones I had (amanos) at the beginning of my aquarium life died. This time I'm trying what Tropco described as "blue shrimp", which I believe are Blue Velvet Shrimp: https://aquaticarts.com/pages/blue-velve...care-guide

I added them to the tank two days ago and they were around for awhile, but then they vanished overnight and haven't been seen since. Is this normal? I'm guessing my gold barbs wouldn't touch them? 

I have no idea where they'd be hiding either - underneath some wood I guess. I've put some cucumber in and hope that'll tempt them out...

food always wins for me, i got some discs that my shrimp love and they pick them up... find a spot and pig out
Thanks given by:
I have new shrimp in my small tank, one sadly died and I’ve only managed to see two since...saying that not seen any of them for about three days now Sad
Least not seeing any corpses, which is a plus I guess.
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze, Peppered  & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
I love playing “spot the Amano”! They usually appear for me when I’m doing a water change / substrate vacuum. Guess I disturb their ambience or something!
Fluval 240L with 306. Water 1.68 dGh. 

19 Harlequin Rasbora, 15 Rummynose Tetra, 9 Panda Corydoras, 2 Bolivian Rams and 2 Amano shrimp.
Thanks given by:
With fish in the tank, the shrimp will be very shy. The barbs may also eat them.

Give them a few weeks and they may get braver.
Thanks given by: Ric
As stuaz said: the moment you have fish that just might take a nibble, the shrimp go into hiding (which is fair enough).

As and when you might shift some décor or plants you're bound to find them moving around. In terms of tempting them out I find blanched peas, slightly squashed, work well. They might just grab a piece and then carry it back into a safe spot to eat it.
Thanks given by:
Yes, how big are the barbs? When they're fully grown they may well snack on shrimp, especially small ones.
I'm definitely toying with the idea of getting a very small shrimp tank, if I can find:
a) a free socket
b) a large enough space
c) a way of sneaking past the eagle eyes of the missus......
Wink Big Grin
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
[-] The following 7 users Like plankton's post:
  • chris.tinker, CrashEd, Gill, Gingerlove05, Hanlou, piker, Ric
Thanks given by:
They're pretty much fully grown, I've also just done a clean of the tank and shifted some wood etc. - no sign of them so I'm betting they've eaten them - what an expensive dinner Dodgy
Thanks given by:
No way i would keep Gold Barbs with shrimp. They can get to 3 inches. Those shrimp will get eaten. You seriously have to choose the right fish for shrimps. I had to. I'm in the process of removing my Endlers to another tank. They will pick off the shrimplets.
Thanks given by:
...at the same time I have endlers with my cherry shrimps and they're doing very well indeed. Try putting in a large clump of moss (java moss, rather than a moss ball) and the shrimplets will be hiding in there.
Thanks given by:
So, an update on this: One shrimp survived!!

I came home late a couple of weeks ago to see him cruising about. I actually did a large tank redesign yesterday and hoped to see more, but he seems to be the only one left Sad. So... should I risk getting more? Will he be lonely?
Thanks given by:
They do feel safer in groups but they’re also quite expensive to lose. You might be better off with some larger Amanos or get a small tank and have a shrimp only tank 😀
150l
Apistogramma Hongsloi (Basil & Bertha), Ember Tetras, Sulawesi & Nerite snail, Pygmy Cory & fry (C Hastatus), Oto’s, emerald eyes, 2 Honey Gouramis (Sam & Dean), Ghost Shrimp & not forgetting the 3 orphaned mosquito raspboras
40l
Betta Splendens (Kung Fu Bob), Nerite snail, Salt & Pepper Pygmy Cory
100l (I think.....)
2 Fancy Goldfish (2 Ronnie’s) & their 2 snail friends, Woody & Buzz
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jen1981's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
That’s a good idea @Jen1981 get some amanos to keep the singleton company.
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze, Peppered  & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Annie's post:
  • Jen1981
Thanks given by:
Thanks, I'll take a look at getting some amanos Smile
Thanks given by: