This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Greetings from Manchester
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 16
Brown & toilet paper like bits!
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 28
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: Colin Whitworth
Yesterday 10:38 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 1805
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 09:36 PM
» Replies: 462
» Views: 41500
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: debiharry
Yesterday 09:26 PM
» Replies: 883
» Views: 39726
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 09:09 PM
» Replies: 1783
» Views: 267431
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 410
High nitrites during cycle
Last Post: DrHouse
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 45
Betta + tetra feeding.. How?
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 67
Han's Shrimpy Scape!
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 421
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Yesterday 06:58 PM
» Replies: 252
» Views: 5697
Going bigger
Last Post: piker
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1397
Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru
Last Post: Alex34
Yesterday 06:34 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 125
One of my danios is missing
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 05:46 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Wiggles tank
Last Post: Wiggles
Yesterday 05:18 PM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1799

Pets at Home: Boycott or not?
We've had ups and downs with out local pets at home. When we got our first lot of fish we were given wrong advice regarding the number of cory fish we'd need and ultimately overstocked the tank with other fish, so we had to upgrade to get more. Apart from that they've been great we always pop in and out of the 30+ fish we've bought only 2 have died.
Juwel Vision 180
5 corys
6 guppys
2 honey gouramis (barry and paul)
4 neons
3 black tetras
3 mollys (dobby, DC, buckbeak)
6 penguin tetras 
Fluval 125
3 Angel fish
Thanks given by:
I’m always in & out my local PaH for plants and the odd bits & bobs. I must say their fish selection has vastly improved is quite impressive, that’s just been over the last month or so. I always see people asking for goldfish at mine and I will give them their dues, they always ask tank sizes & always say unless you’ve got an outdoor pond or planning one you can’t have comets etc.
Their fish labelling has a lot to be desired, I’ve mentioned a few times to them now about juvenile plecos they sell, they still label size up to 9cm, um don’t think so!!
150l
Apistogramma Hongsloi (Basil & Bertha), Ember Tetras, Sulawesi & Nerite snail, Pygmy Cory & fry (C Hastatus), Oto’s, emerald eyes, 2 Honey Gouramis (Sam & Dean), Ghost Shrimp & not forgetting the 3 orphaned mosquito raspboras
40l
Betta Splendens (Kung Fu Bob), Nerite snail, Salt & Pepper Pygmy Cory
100l (I think.....)
2 Fancy Goldfish (2 Ronnie’s) & their 2 snail friends, Woody & Buzz
Thanks given by:
My local has gave me some shoddy advice on occasions, one occasion I was refused fish because I had done a water change that morning on my established tank. I did complain and got £25 or something like that, can't remember exactly, I spent it on plants. Since then they have improved dramatically, they now know me as a serious fish keeper and only really let one of the staff talk to me because he has his own fish room. They do have good healthy stock nowadays since changing supplier aswel and I wouldn't think twice about getting fish from there now, unfortunately they never seem to have anything I'm after
300ltr loose Central American themed (semi aggressive)
125ltr Cory and friends (peaceful)
https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/showthr...p?tid=1765
Thanks given by:
I was refused by P@H a single nerite snail when I visited Bristol.
I had some nerites in my tank at the time and this nerite was different so I wanted it.
I told them that I have a well established tank and was very knowledgeable but they still refused.
This angered me and the last thing I said was "I have more knowledge about fish keeping in my little finger than you'll ever have" and stormed out. I was really angry.
All I wanted was just one nerite snail.
I understand their precaution approach and solute them for that but they lost a small sale for not selling me a small snail. (that rhymes).
I may pop in to my local P&H next week just to test them.
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2019, 02:05 PM)Stephen Wrote: I was refused by P@H a single nerite snail when I visited Bristol.
I had some nerites in my tank at the time and this nerite was different so I wanted it.
I told them that I have a well established tank and was very knowledgeable but they still refused.
This angered me and the last thing I said was "I have more knowledge about fish keeping in my little finger than you'll ever have" and stormed out. I was really angry.
All I wanted was just one nerite snail.
I understand their precaution approach and solute them for that but they lost a small sale for not selling me a small snail. (that rhymes).
I may pop in to my local P&H next week just to test them.

What on earth was their excuse for refusing to sell you a snail???
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
Cheltgirl Wrote:What on earth was their excuse for refusing to sell you a snail???

I didn't give them my name and address to tap in to their ipad thingy.
It made me so angry. Exclamation
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2019, 07:46 PM)Stephen Wrote:
Cheltgirl Wrote:What on earth was their excuse for refusing to sell you a snail???

Oh for crying out loud! Yet they’re happy to sell inappropriate fish for uncycled tanks grrrr!! Stupid stupid shop!
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
HCheltgirl Wrote:
Stephen Wrote:

Oh for crying out loud! Yet they’re happy to sell inappropriate fish for uncycled tanks grrrr!! Stupid stupid shop!

One of the first questions we ask on the form is "What are your water parameters" ie water hardness.
They never ask that question at P@H.
I might pop in to my local later, not been in there for ages. Wink
Thanks given by:
I was put on to a new LFS by someone at my local PaH this week.
I'd been phoning around for Kuhlis and she dropped into a conspiratorial whisper and asked 'Have you tried Fiscove Aquatics?'. She explained that they get in slightly less common stock & could order as well.
I gave them a call and they had a half dozen left, so shot over to them.

What a lovely little shop. Almost 'boutique' with lots of high end aquascaping kit, a couple of immaculate display scapes and loads of slightly left field livestock. They have a stock list and prices on their website, which is a nice touch.

https://fishcove.co.uk/

The owner obviously knows his stuff and was happy to be quizzed by a newbie. He had loads of great advice and didn't try and sell me anything.

'..they'll stick a big "These fish are being treated!" sign over a tank... but continue to sell fish from the other 3 tanks attached to the same sump...'

All his tanks have separate filtration to avoid the chance of cross contamination.
Planted Fluval 240 Roma
18 Harlequins
12 Amano Shrimp
8 Panda Corydoras
6 Kuhli Loaches
4 Otos
3 Pearl Gouramis
3 Assassin Snails
1 Neon Tetra
Platy fry
Thanks given by: