This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the...
Last Post: yorkiejeff
Today 05:45 AM
» Replies: 30
» Views: 545
New friends and background
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Today 12:31 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 56
I.D please
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 47
hi all am new to this just joined as stephen reffe...
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:52 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 35
Hi All!!
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 11:42 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 58
New used project
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 11:31 PM
» Replies: 45
» Views: 1136
Is my fish full of eggs or just overweight?
Yesterday 11:26 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 230
New Video of shoaling fish
Yesterday 11:11 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 81
NAME THAT FISH - GAME
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:00 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 133
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Sarah
Yesterday 10:17 PM
» Replies: 213
» Views: 4899
Fostering/Adopting a dog.
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:23 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 625
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbar...
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 524
» Views: 16020
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 07:46 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 52846
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 07:45 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1488
Nicks tanks.
Yesterday 07:42 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 396

Starter tank with 5 fish
Tongue 
Hello, I am new to fish keeping and didn't know anything about the cycle. I had already bought 5 little fish and after reading about the nitrogen cycle, I have been closely monitoring my fish.
Unfortunately, one of them, a Zebrafish has become very poorly. I have a smaller tank that I am currently using as a quarantine. The lone fish is in there for now. It does seem very poorly and keeps resting on top of the filter, which I have turned off just a couple of hours ago as it was a bit strong for the fish.
My other 4 fish are doing fine, touch wood.
Any help or advice at this time will be most appreciated.
Thanks given by:
Hi Jassy306 and welcome

How big is your tank and what filter do you have?
Is your water soft, hard or somewhere in between.
What temperature is your tank water?

What little fish do you have?

Thanks
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
Thanks given by: Jassy306
Hi Stephen, thank you for your reply..... it is a 24L tank, with a q116 filter. Water tested hard yesterday...everything else was ok. Fish are 2 whitecloud minnows, 2 leopardfish and 1 zebrafish. The zebrafish is poorly and currently quarantined.
Thanks given by:
Just checked on it again....unfortunately it's gone. Hate losing pets and my kids are going to be devastated in the morning. Any tips on the nitrogen cycle for the rest of the fish? I have the water treated with Tetra Aquasafe and have also put Tetra Safestart in it when I started 6 days ago.
Thanks given by:
I hate being the giver of bad news but a 24L tank is not big enough for danios (zebra & leopard danios).
Danios are a smallish fish but are a very active fish and require a tank measuring around 3 foot (90cm) minimum.

Is the q116 filter an actual filter or an air pump?
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stephen's post:
  • Ric
Hi Stephen, thanks again for your reply. I didn't realize the tank would be small for them and the pet shop didn't say either. Even though I didn't but the tank from them.
The Q116 is a filter and a pump. It is submerged in the water and has a spout sticking out for air. It has a cartridge at the bottom with carbon sponge in it.
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome Jassy Smile
Sorry for your loss and to hear of your issues Sad
Stephen has already covered a few points about tank being too small. Do you have any way of testing the water for ammonia/nitrite etc? And is the tank and filter you have a tank and filter bought together?
Normally the tetra safe start works with a small number of fish as long as you follow the instructions on the bottle to the letter, which helps to “cycle” the tank or at least establish some bacteria in the filter. Hope that makes sense Smile
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Welcome to the forum. Smile
Sorry you've had problems. The others have given advice that I can't add to at the moment, but I would do extra water changes as the tank is smaller than optimum for the danios. The minnows should be ok (just). Wink
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Hi and welcome to the forum Smile

Hope everything will settle in the tank soon.
Hello everyone,
Thank you for the messages. Yes it has been a bit of a rough nite and the part of fish keeping that no one enjoys. The fish seem calm today...so I will leave them for now. Maybe a partial water change tomorrow, if all is well.
Thanks given by: