This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the...
Last Post: yorkiejeff
Today 05:45 AM
» Replies: 30
» Views: 545
New friends and background
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Today 12:31 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 59
I.D please
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 47
hi all am new to this just joined as stephen reffe...
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:52 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 37
Hi All!!
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 11:42 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 58
New used project
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 11:31 PM
» Replies: 45
» Views: 1141
Is my fish full of eggs or just overweight?
Yesterday 11:26 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 233
New Video of shoaling fish
Yesterday 11:11 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 84
NAME THAT FISH - GAME
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:00 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 135
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Sarah
Yesterday 10:17 PM
» Replies: 213
» Views: 4899
Fostering/Adopting a dog.
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:23 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 630
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbar...
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 524
» Views: 16034
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 07:46 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 52857
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 07:45 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1503
Nicks tanks.
Yesterday 07:42 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 403

Tough bristlenose
I wish I had kept yesterday's Metro for reference. 

A man has been charged with animal cruelty after he poured fabric conditioner into his partner's tank when she broke up with him. All her tropical fish died - except one, a bristlenose catfish.

Obviously disgusting behaviour on the guy's side, yet it made me smile that the little plec managed to survive the ordeal. And, somehow, I was not surprised that it would be a b/n.
Thanks given by:
horrible behavior! But well done to the plec. Smells like Lenor to boot!
Thanks given by: Ric
Guy needs stringing up by his neck......  Angry
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes plankton's post:
  • DoubleDutch
Thanks given by:
plankton Wrote:Guy needs stringing up by his neck......  Angry

I agree. Exclamation
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
Thanks given by:
#karma will find him 🤬
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
I suggest waterboarding with lenor.
What a horrible thing to do, glad he got charged!
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2019, 12:53 PM)fr499y Wrote: horrible behavior! But well done to the plec. Smells like Lenor to boot!

Have you read the article, too? I think it actually was Lenor he poured in...not that that makes any difference.
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2019, 01:14 PM)plankton Wrote: Guy needs stringing up by his neck......  Angry
We don't know his partner.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
On which act will he be charged?
I don't argue with it happeniny, but I always doubt if there will be any charge.

Some time ago in the US was charged cause he kept his cichlid in a bad way.
Yeah right.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I was trying to speculate on why it is that the Ancistrus survived this, albeit probably not unscathed.

Could it be that one or more of the most toxic components of fabric softener doesn't mix with water very well, or at all, and is less dense? A primarily bottom-dwelling fish might then escape the worst effects, for a while at least. I looked at the likely ingredients and - yes - there are some that look as though they may fit the bill, oils and so on. I couldn't be bothered to delve any further though.

If the fish was enclosed in a cave at the time, that would protect it from some exposure, too, one might think.  Ancistrus have much thicker skin than many other fish (in the 'bushymouth' Ancistrus it's up to three times as thick) ; that might be a factor.

Anecdote time ...

The same source for that last factoid also offered another. Previously I'd been fascinated as to how exactly my 'lurking' fish knew that there was food around : could they smell it?  I tried to fool my Liquorice Gourami by taking the cover off the tank well in advance and then creeping slowly silently up to a tank, checking as best I could that they couldn't possibly see me or the food I then added. It never worked!

Later I discovered that fish have external taste buds. Some fish, such as Cyprinids, have their entire bodies covered in them. In others, taste buds can be more numerous on barbels or long fins. So fish can taste their food long before they see it, rather than smell it : six of one and half-a-dozen of the other, I suppose.

Anyway, the source I looked at remarked that Ancistrus unusually appear to have very few taste buds on their bodies ; it speculated that there may be concentrations of them on the head-bristles. It kind of makes sense that a fish that may spend long periods in caves and nooks (and indeed crannies) would have little need to taste with its tail.

Well, at least I whiled away the tea-break in the cricket!
[-] The following 2 users Like Vale!'s post:
  • DoubleDutch, plankton
Thanks given by: