This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the...
Last Post: yorkiejeff
Today 05:45 AM
» Replies: 30
» Views: 545
New friends and background
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Today 12:31 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 59
I.D please
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 47
hi all am new to this just joined as stephen reffe...
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:52 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 37
Hi All!!
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 11:42 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 58
New used project
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 11:31 PM
» Replies: 45
» Views: 1141
Is my fish full of eggs or just overweight?
Yesterday 11:26 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 234
New Video of shoaling fish
Yesterday 11:11 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 85
NAME THAT FISH - GAME
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:00 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 135
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Sarah
Yesterday 10:17 PM
» Replies: 213
» Views: 4899
Fostering/Adopting a dog.
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:23 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 633
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbar...
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 524
» Views: 16034
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 07:46 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 52857
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 07:45 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1503
Nicks tanks.
Yesterday 07:42 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 403

55gal Nano Tank
I'm going to completely redo my 55 gallon tank and would love some suggestions if you guys have the time.

I really like the idea of small fish in such a big tank. Maybe a species only tank for scarlet badis or dwarf puffers or something similar. Or potentially a species only tank for something awesome lol

Would love to hear some ideas or from anyone who has experience of dwarf puffers or scarlet badis.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. At this rate I may never die!
Thanks given by:
RallyMatt has dwarf puffers, its a small/nano tank he has them in. (First link is start of the thread, second is when the puffers got introduced)

http://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=1057
http://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/showthre...57&page=21
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by: Rdel
Hi Robert and welcome.

I have no experience with either fish but it does sound exciting.

All the best
Stephen
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stephen's post:
  • Rdel
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome to the site, looking forward to seeing your progress, if you get chance start a tank log under ‘what’s happening in your aquarium’ with pics of course, we love pics here Wink
Enjoy the forum.
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Annie's post:
  • Rdel
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum. Smile
Puffers do have personalities, and badis are really beautiful little fish.
Don't get more than one male badis in a tank though, they are extremely volatile to each other and will fight until one or both are dead......! Sad
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Plankton surely I'd be able to have a few males in 55 gallon tank?

It should be noted that twice now I have not taken your advice and twice I have regretted it lol
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. At this rate I may never die!
Thanks given by:
Take his advice, you won't regret it Big Grin If they are anything like a Betta, then it doesn't matter how large the tank is, 2 males is a no go!
Thanks given by:
Just told RallyMatt about this thread. He should be along shortly Big Grin
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
If you've even seen two male badis in the same tank for any length of time you'd give out the same warning. Wink
They are beautiful fish and great with other fish, but together they will knock seven bells out of each other!
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Apologies for being late on the thread, been a busy week but have just been kicked by Cheltgirl and Gingerlove!

The Dwarf puffers are really sweet and it did not take long for their individual personalities to come out. They can be a pain to feed as they will only accept live or frozen bloodworm or smaller snails so making sure they eat is important. I usually use a syringe where the puffers will come up to the syringe and suck the bloodworm from the end of it!

Be careful with numbers though. Your best bet is to have one Male with several females: I made that mistake and had two males and two females which did lead to some worrying moments and sparing between the two males.

Male puffers will have wrinkles behind the eyes, a more dark olive colour with a dark line along their belly when matured and will stay smaller than females.

Females are larger and more rounded. Their colouring is paler without the line on the belly or wrinkles behind the eyes. Sometimes there can be a dark V shape under their beaks. Some LFS’ are not sure how to sex them so if you decide on puffers then it may be best to ask the shop if you can return any unwanted males if any are accidentally added to your stock. I was looking for one single female at our local MA and they were happy to help by taking a few out individually for a better look in a bag under decent lighting.

You will need a heavily planted tank with loads of broken lines of sight and hiding holes. Sand substrate is best and you will find it handy to have a small separate snail breeding tank in order to keep producing free food but still control how much they eat as they are greedy lol fish! (We use a 12L P@H type tank). Some US sites say the MTS snails can be fed however their shells can be too hard for their beaks and will end up over running the tank so best to stick to Ramshorns or Bladder snails. Again, our local MA was happy to donate some bladder snails from their tanks for free while purchasing more fish stock, otherwise both these types of snails can be bought cheaply from eBay.

The best information I have found so far was at: https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/f...f-puffers/

As they need to be species only, the same as the Baddis then the tank design is similar whichever way you decide to go. I was torn between the SB’s, Bettas or DP’s but decided to go with the DP’s due to their personalities and was not disappointed and whenever there is movement in front of the tank they pop out to say hello. It didn’t take them long to realise who feeds them either so if you go for DP’s be prepared to be harassed for food once they remember your face!

If you need any further advice feel free to post or PM me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60L Nano Cube - ‘Puffua New Guinea’ (3x Dwarf Puffer Fish).
12L Nano - ‘Escargot Emporium’ - Snail Breeding Tank.
[-] The following 2 users Like RallyMatt's post:
  • Annie, Rdel