This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
New friends and background
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Today 12:31 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 56
I.D please
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 47
hi all am new to this just joined as stephen reffe...
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:52 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 34
Hi All!!
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 11:42 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 58
want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the...
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 11:33 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 538
New used project
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 11:31 PM
» Replies: 45
» Views: 1136
Is my fish full of eggs or just overweight?
Yesterday 11:26 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 226
New Video of shoaling fish
Yesterday 11:11 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 81
NAME THAT FISH - GAME
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:00 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 131
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Sarah
Yesterday 10:17 PM
» Replies: 213
» Views: 4899
Fostering/Adopting a dog.
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:23 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 625
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbar...
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 524
» Views: 16019
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 07:46 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 52845
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 07:45 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1488
Nicks tanks.
Yesterday 07:42 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 396

Another new Tank
Thought it was about time i moved my thread away from the welcome area 

So my return to fish keeping started in June this year with a 54litre tank , along with 1 bronze cory , 1 peppered cory , 1 albino cory 3 black tetras , 4 neon tetras and 8 guppys . On joining this forum i soon realised that my lfs had misinformed me on the corys and they needed to be in bigger groups . So i saved my pennys and bought a 125 litre tank along with some more corys , 2 honey gouramis (barry and paul) and 2 mollys (frank and dobby ) . Sadly frank died shortly after due to a filter fault which shot my water upto over 33 degrees and melted part of the filter .

Now the 125 litre tank was a decent size but after the fella left i started noticing alot of issues , number one he'd taken all the electronic bits needed to attach and run lights , number two the whole tank was covered in scratches to the point the tank would always look cloudy even though it wasnt when you looked straight down . When i messaged him for help on finding any sort of lights he blocked me . So i took to hunting the web and came to the conclusion i wasnt happy with the tank and was going to use money i'd saved for Christmas and buy another one .

i started looking for a new one and luckily randomly came across a residential fish shop on facebook , looked through the page and saw a juwel vision 180 with filter , lights and heater etc for a very reasonable price , iv always loved that tank , as it was my first every large tank (used to keep goldfish ) . I messaged them straight away and they delivered it the same day . I'm over the moon with it .

[Image: Ew7h837l.jpg]

thats the tank right now , i have ordered black sand , a new background , dragon stone and some plants . So once they arrive it will look completely different and alot nicer (hopefully) . Now all i need to do is figure out the filter its a ehiem 2213 external , iv always used internal filters but im willing to give it ago , after what happened to poor frank . 

Questions 
with a second hand filter i assume washing it in my tank water is best ? rather than tap water 
I need glue for the rocks and Java moss is there any you guys can recommend that are aquarium safe ?
Juwel Vision 180
5 corys
6 guppys
2 honey gouramis (barry and paul)
4 neons
3 black tetras
3 mollys (dobby, DC, buckbeak)
6 penguin tetras 
Fluval 125
3 Angel fish
[-] The following 3 users Like ivybell's post:
  • Annie, Netsu, Stevieglasgow
Thanks given by:
When cleaning/swapping to a second hand filter, i follow the same as i would for new. I’d clean in untreated tap water first, then once i’ve finished that i run clean dechlorinated/conditioned water through it before moving any established media over and setting it up on/in the tank. Hope that makes sense.
As for aquarium safe glue....superglue Big Grin only a small dab on the roots of java ferns etc to help them stick to wood (the bit of rhizome with the glue on may die if theres too much glue on it) but its perfectly safe for aquarium use Smile
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gingerlove05's post:
  • ivybell
Thanks given by:
Would gorilla glue be ok?
Juwel Vision 180
5 corys
6 guppys
4 neons
3 black tetras
6 penguin tetras 
Fluval 125
3 Angel fish
Thanks given by:
Nice start, what plants did you go for in the end ?
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
Iv bought some java moss and something else with java in its name can't remember exactly what it's called, will take pictures when it arrives.
Iv attempted to set up the filter but it doesn't seem to be working its just growling at me but no water is being sucked in. Googled it and I'm supposed to prime it? What's that?
Juwel Vision 180
5 corys
6 guppys
4 neons
3 black tetras
6 penguin tetras 
Fluval 125
3 Angel fish
[-] The following 1 user Likes ivybell's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
ivybell Wrote:Would gorilla glue be ok?

Yes it should be fine, I've used superglue gel in the past.

The tank looks very nice Smile

Stephen
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
Thanks given by:
Can you post a pic of your filter, there’s usually a little like pump lever to push the air through therefore getting water through the system, if you follow lol .
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
[Image: slKGTa4l.jpg][Image: 34RHs7zl.jpg]
Juwel Vision 180
5 corys
6 guppys
4 neons
3 black tetras
6 penguin tetras 
Fluval 125
3 Angel fish
Thanks given by:
That's the filter, I found a video on YouTube and followed everything they did but still nothing. Might just buy a new one and pass this to someone else.
Juwel Vision 180
5 corys
6 guppys
4 neons
3 black tetras
6 penguin tetras 
Fluval 125
3 Angel fish
Thanks given by:
Priming is just making sure it's full of water before it starts running, so that it's got something to pump.
Most have some sort of lever that you pump to draw water in before you switch it on.
Planted Fluval 240 Roma
18 Harlequins
12 Amano Shrimp
8 Panda Corydoras
6 Kuhli Loaches
4 Otos
3 Pearl Gouramis
3 Assassin Snails
1 Neon Tetra
Platy fry
Thanks given by: