This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Greetings from Manchester
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 15
Brown & toilet paper like bits!
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 26
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: Colin Whitworth
Yesterday 10:38 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 1804
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 09:36 PM
» Replies: 462
» Views: 41500
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: debiharry
Yesterday 09:26 PM
» Replies: 883
» Views: 39726
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 09:09 PM
» Replies: 1783
» Views: 267420
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 408
High nitrites during cycle
Last Post: DrHouse
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 45
Betta + tetra feeding.. How?
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 63
Han's Shrimpy Scape!
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 417
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Yesterday 06:58 PM
» Replies: 252
» Views: 5696
Going bigger
Last Post: piker
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1397
Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru
Last Post: Alex34
Yesterday 06:34 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 125
One of my danios is missing
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 05:46 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Wiggles tank
Last Post: Wiggles
Yesterday 05:18 PM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1799

want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the tank
i want to build a trough type plant pot to go across the bck of the tank to grow pothos, so the roots will grow and dangle in the top of the tank. the only thing is i cant work out how to allow the roots access tothe water without dumping a load of soil into the tank. the pot is going to made of perspex. you think if i just drilled a load of holes that would do ? or i may be able to get some expanded stainless steel grill from work and make the bottom out of that. any ideas would be great.
life is too short to drink cheap wine
Thanks given by:
You don’t need to use soil. The roots will happily sit in just the water as that’s where they will get their nutrients from. I grew pothos in my goldfish tank for a while having the roots in a fry net.

@fr499y has a few different plants emmersed in one of his tanks too.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheltgirl's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
Yep @Cheltgirl is right you don't need soil for pothos.

This is one of my tanks that has it growing out the sump in the back. It also has some bamboo on the ends.

The pic is after a cut, as it grows quite quick up the wall so I trim it every so often.

I have also grown peace Lilly's and even strawberries! All with just the roots in the water.
[Image: wuGCDdRl.jpg]

It literally grows anywhere tbh. Here it is on a bowl of the water on top of a book case of mine.

[Image: 9WTyJT0l.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like stuaz's post:
  • Baddams, Netsu, yorkiejeff
Thanks given by: yorkiejeff
so what do you do to hold them? just a flat plate of perspex with holes to hold th stems? or my trough thing with holes for the roots and meybe some gravel to pretty it up a bit? first time trying anything like this
Thanks given by:
Spider plants work well in just water, too.

You could put some gravel or some pebbles in, just for the extra hold. Once the plants get going with their roots, though, that can be enough to keep them in place - its becomes like a loose ball of wool.
Thanks given by:
PS: Some people have used perspex bathroom holders (intended for toothbrushes or as shower caddies) with suckers. Those containers are already pre-drilled with holes and you just pop as many or as few as you like along the back of the tank.
Thanks given by:
good idea, miht have a look in b an m later when we pop out for dinner stuff.
oh no, just had a thought after i posted, wont be able to use suckers on the back, going to have a dbackground on the tank. bugger.
Thanks given by:
Unless you put the planters in first and then fix the background around it? Or perhaps get some plastic hooks to hook the container into/over the background?

I'm sure there is a solution available - I find a good rummage in my local hardware shop (proper old-fashioned, filled to the rafters and completely overwhelming to a visitor but the guy who runs it know exactly where anything is) usually works.
Thanks given by:
https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/forumdi...php?fid=38 I made a couple of threads when forum was first setup Smile

IF you are going to use a substrate in the planter, go with aquaponics clay substrate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fr499y's post:
  • Ric
Thanks given by:
yorkiejeff Wrote:i want to build a trough type plant pot to go across the bck of the tank to grow pothos, so the roots will grow and dangle in the top of the tank.

Out of curiosity, the pothos plant is poisonous as it contains calcium oxalates, will this effect the fish if the roots are dangling in the water?
I don't know which is why I am asking the question.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2019, 10:09 AM)Stephen Wrote:
yorkiejeff Wrote:i want to build a trough type plant pot to go across the bck of the tank to grow pothos, so the roots will grow and dangle in the top of the tank.

Out of curiosity, the pothos plant is poisonous as it contains calcium oxalates, will this effect the fish if the roots are dangling in the water?
I don't know which is why I am asking the question.

Thanks

Potentially, according to this:

https://fishtankmaster.com/pothos-in-aquarium/

Is pothos toxic to aquarium fish?

No, not at all. Fish does not nip on the pothos roots. As such, there’s no need to worry. However, if a fish such as goldfish nibbles on it, it is likely to lead to some unpleasant allergy. In fact, the fry can succumb to gastro problems.
Thanks given by:
I made sure I kept the roots of mine tucked inside the fry net to avoid them being eaten. Didn’t look pretty though. Took it out in the end. A better designed ‘pot’ would work much better.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
didnt know that but a lot of folk have used them in tanks. just hope it all works.
Thanks given by:
Can I use a Philodendron Scandens ? My sister has got one growing down a book case!
It looks great, smaller heart shaped leaves than a 'real' pothos from what I can find Smile
Thanks given by:
now you have got me with ltin names lol
Thanks given by: