This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the...
Last Post: yorkiejeff
Today 05:45 AM
» Replies: 30
» Views: 545
New friends and background
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Today 12:31 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 56
I.D please
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 47
hi all am new to this just joined as stephen reffe...
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:52 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 35
Hi All!!
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 11:42 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 58
New used project
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 11:31 PM
» Replies: 45
» Views: 1136
Is my fish full of eggs or just overweight?
Yesterday 11:26 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 230
New Video of shoaling fish
Yesterday 11:11 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 81
NAME THAT FISH - GAME
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:00 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 133
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Sarah
Yesterday 10:17 PM
» Replies: 213
» Views: 4899
Fostering/Adopting a dog.
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:23 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 625
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbar...
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 524
» Views: 16020
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 07:46 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 52845
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 07:45 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1488
Nicks tanks.
Yesterday 07:42 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 396

Guppy Problem
Hi all first post for me.

I have a 90l tank
Amonia-0.25
PH- 7.4
N.trite-0
N.trate80 plus. But hight from tap.
GH-180
KH-120
Temp-25.9

I lost a guppy last week, he went very thin and his tail went into a point. I noticed another has the same problem, on advice from LFS I have dosed with AquaCare anti-internal bacteria every other day for 4 doses currently on dose 2. The guppy is still the same. I have now also noticed that another guppy has what I think is fin rot. His tail is disappearing very quickly. I have got some AquaCare fin rot meds can I put this in the tank now or do I have to wait to finish the other meds. Have removed carbon filter. the tank has been running 6mths.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome to Smile
Sorry to hear of your issue. How long have you had the guppies? Unfortunately they’re not the hardiest of fish.
What are your tap water results for ammonia and nitrate? This should help give you a baseline of what to expect with your tank water (for example my water still shows a slight green tinge on the test, but its like that from the tap as well).
Only other thing i notice is that you do have it quite warm for guppies, they would prefer a cooler temp around 22/23C, higher temperatures increase metabolism and can shorten lifespans.
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you brought your fish from Maidenhead Aquatics
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome.

First thing I noticed is that you have an ammonia reading - that should always be 0. Having ammonia means they're swimming in their own waste and basically getting acid burns. 

Secondly, as GL already pointed out, guppies are not the hardiest of fish anyway nowadays and they do prefer somewhat cooler temps.

Perhaps you could tell us more about your tank: you said its been running for 6 months. How did you cycle it? What other fish do you have in the tank? Does the tank have live plants? Have the guppies been with you from the start? 

The more details the better  Smile
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum!

Hope you manage to find a solution soon.
Fluval 240L with 306. Water 1.68 dGh. 

19 Harlequin Rasbora, 15 Rummynose Tetra, 10 Panda Corydoras, 2 Bolivian Rams and 2 Amano shrimp.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Netsu's post:
  • woodster
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2019, 04:18 PM)bhafc1 Wrote: Sounds like you  brought your fish from Maidenhead Aquatics

Not sure how helpful that is.
Fluval 240L with 306. Water 1.68 dGh. 

19 Harlequin Rasbora, 15 Rummynose Tetra, 10 Panda Corydoras, 2 Bolivian Rams and 2 Amano shrimp.
Thanks given by:
I get the same  Ammonia reading and my tank is nearly 3 years old and over filtered, mine is caused from ammonium in my tap water, don't know a lot about guppies but a lot say they are weak due to over breading, I can't keep them myself as I have angles and sharks so they would be expensive fish food.  
[-] The following 1 user Likes dinofred1's post:
  • woodster
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2019, 04:18 PM)bhafc1 Wrote: Sounds like you  brought your fish from Maidenhead Aquatics
I did  is there a problem with them??
Thanks given by:
I find that keeping guppies at a slightly lower temp is better for me. I keep them at around 23 C. Not saying that is the issue but may help if they’re the only fish in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes wba_oconnor's post:
  • woodster
Thanks given by:

Not sure what is meant by that comment.

Quote:Temp-25.9

The tank water temperature is too high for guppy long-term, 21/22C is better long-term.
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stephen's post:
  • wba_oconnor
Thanks given by: woodster