This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
New friends and background
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Today 12:31 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 56
I.D please
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 47
hi all am new to this just joined as stephen reffe...
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:52 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 34
Hi All!!
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 11:42 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 58
want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the...
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 11:33 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 538
New used project
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 11:31 PM
» Replies: 45
» Views: 1136
Is my fish full of eggs or just overweight?
Yesterday 11:26 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 226
New Video of shoaling fish
Yesterday 11:11 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 81
NAME THAT FISH - GAME
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:00 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 131
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Sarah
Yesterday 10:17 PM
» Replies: 213
» Views: 4899
Fostering/Adopting a dog.
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:23 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 625
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbar...
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 524
» Views: 16019
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 07:46 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 52845
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 07:45 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1488
Nicks tanks.
Yesterday 07:42 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 396

Alexa (or other smart assistants) - what do you use yours for?
So, like most people, I occasionally forget to turn a heater back on after a water change. I also tend not to turn my filters off while feeding in case I forget to turn them on

But I’ve just got an Alexa smart plug and the routines look really handy: if I tell Alexa I’m feeding the fish, she can turn my filters off (using the smart plug) and then automatically turn them back on after a set period of time

[Image: PFFhT6zl.png]

I’m going to test this with one filter (the tank has two, so if it goes wrong I shouldn’t bugger anything up too badly), but if it’s reliable it seems like a great way to handle filters and heaters during water changes etc too

Thinking about it, I have smart lights in my home and I’m sure I could do something with them too. And my Fluval Plant 3.0’s smart features are amazing, probably my favourite thing I’ve found from an aquarium light ever

Do you use any “smart devices” for your fishkeeping, and if so what do you use?
[-] The following 1 user Likes audigex's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
I've recently done similar for my three tanks.

On my 240L I've got "big thank lights", "big tank bits" which is heater, filter and power head, and "big tank bubbles".

On my 90L it's just "medium tank lights" and "medium tank bits".

On the 18L it's just "shrimp tank lights" since I dont ever need to turn off the heater or filter.

I can say "alexa, I'm cleaning the medium tank" and it's set to turn on the light, turn off the filter and turn off the heater. Same for the big tank. I've got the air pump on an overnight timer, and I use a group timer to control when the lights come on and off each day.

I was using a manual "alexa, I've finished cleaning the medium tank", but your system with the timer is better, so I'm gonna edit them to come back on automatically after 1 hour.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Community 240L - Bertha 2
Cherax 160L - The Bistro (WIP)
Shrimp Nano - District 9

[-] The following 1 user Likes Benville's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
Yeah being able to automatically turn them back on seems like the biggest positive

Thinking about it some more I mostly use pumps for my water changes, I could pretty much do an entire water change using this - all I’d need to do is turn a couple of valves at the start and end to connect/disconnect a HME filter, and throw the drain pump in the tank
Thanks given by:
That’s very techy and cool but I just use a switch. Loads cheaper rofl
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
[-] The following 2 users Like Cheltgirl's post:
  • Jen1981, Ric
Thanks given by:
Cheltgirl Wrote:That’s very techy and cool but I just use a switch. Loads cheaper rofl

Me too rofl
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stephen's post:
  • Ric
Thanks given by:
We love our Alexa, have smart plugs on all sorts of stuff inc. both tanks. There’s so much more than asking her what time it is or what the weather is today.
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
I won't go into why i hate them and all of that but... i swear they make people rely on technology more than they need to!! just put a switched extension lead in and flick them on/off when doing maintenance. Chances are you're already got your head inside the cabinet to begin with!

I use smart plugs as digital timers because they were cheaper to buy! apart from that, no other smart tech.
Thanks given by:
I'm not as flexible as I used to be, and often have to rely on others to assist with tank maintenance when I'm not there, so this makes it a lot less daunting for them

Cherax 160L - The Bistro (WIP)
Shrimp Nano - District 9

[-] The following 1 user Likes Benville's post:
  • fr499y
Thanks given by:
in that sense i can see it being helpful Smile
Thanks given by:
Also because I am just a massive gadget nerd