This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the...
Last Post: yorkiejeff
Today 05:45 AM
» Replies: 30
» Views: 541
New friends and background
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Today 12:31 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 56
I.D please
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 47
hi all am new to this just joined as stephen reffe...
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:52 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 35
Hi All!!
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 11:42 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 58
New used project
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 11:31 PM
» Replies: 45
» Views: 1136
Is my fish full of eggs or just overweight?
Yesterday 11:26 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 227
New Video of shoaling fish
Yesterday 11:11 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 81
NAME THAT FISH - GAME
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:00 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 131
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Sarah
Yesterday 10:17 PM
» Replies: 213
» Views: 4899
Fostering/Adopting a dog.
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:23 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 625
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbar...
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 524
» Views: 16019
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 07:46 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 52845
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 07:45 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1488
Nicks tanks.
Yesterday 07:42 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 396

External Filter yay or nah
Hello All,

I have a 85 litre tank and was wondering what the advantages of getting an external filter would be? My brother in law gave me his Fluval U4 so I currently use that but without full flow as I have a Siamese Fighter.

Would an external filter help circulate my Co2 flow and aid my carpet plants to thrive?

Do you recommend any filters?

Cheers
Thanks given by:
dont know much about the plants and co2, one benefit of external would be more space in your tank, unless there’s a dedicated enclosed space at the back of the tank, which is what we have in our Fluval Flex.
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
External gives more space in the tank and adds slightly to your water volume, and is easier to clean. They also hold more media (generally) and are more flexible with regards to where you position your flow/intake/outlet

Internal has no risk of flooding your floor, can be used in any tank (bracing or lids can make externals impossible on some tanks), and are generally cheaper for a comparable quality

I wouldn’t add an external to your setup - you’d be better off with an extra air stone
Thanks given by:
(15-09-2019, 02:35 PM)audigex Wrote: External gives more space in the tank and adds slightly to your water volume, and is easier to clean. They also hold more media (generally) and are more flexible with regards to where you position your flow/intake/outlet

Internal has no risk of flooding your floor, can be used in any tank (bracing or lids can make externals impossible on some tanks), and are generally cheaper for a comparable quality

I wouldn’t add an external to your setup - you’d be better off with an extra air stone
Why wouldn’t you? I do like the idea of less clutter in the tank and cleaner water!
Thanks given by:
Flow, mostly. Betta don’t like lots of flow (particularly long finned varieties) and it can exhaust and stress them.

A U4 should already give you around 8x tank volume per hour of flow (1000 litres/hour, say 700 after losses due to media) which should be plenty for filtration and to ensure carbon/oxygen/nutrients are getting to your plants

Going for a flow rate much above 8x capacity per hour with a Betta is asking for trouble IMO - they’re one of the few fish which have a low tolerance for flow
Thanks given by: