This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
want to do a plant pot thing acros the back of the...
Last Post: yorkiejeff
Today 05:45 AM
» Replies: 30
» Views: 545
New friends and background
Last Post: Nick Jarvis
Today 12:31 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 56
I.D please
Today 12:26 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 47
hi all am new to this just joined as stephen reffe...
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:52 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 35
Hi All!!
Last Post: Stephen
Yesterday 11:42 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 58
New used project
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 11:31 PM
» Replies: 45
» Views: 1136
Is my fish full of eggs or just overweight?
Yesterday 11:26 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 230
New Video of shoaling fish
Yesterday 11:11 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 81
NAME THAT FISH - GAME
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 11:00 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 133
Return To The Vale!odrome
Last Post: Sarah
Yesterday 10:17 PM
» Replies: 213
» Views: 4899
Fostering/Adopting a dog.
Last Post: stuaz
Yesterday 09:23 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 625
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbar...
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 524
» Views: 16019
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 07:46 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 52845
Betta Cube - WIP
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 07:45 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1488
Nicks tanks.
Yesterday 07:42 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 396

White spot temperature increase
Can anyone advise if I’d be ok to increase my tank temp to 30 celsius as I have diagnosed white spot on my silver molly?

In the tank are some guppies, endlers, a molly, a candy stripe plec and a couple of assassin snails. I’ve already added some aquarium salt and will be going for some treatment as soon as the shop opens this morning. 

According to google the Pleco at least only likes temps up to 26 so I don’t want to stress him with a higher temp. 

Thanks
Richie.
Thanks given by:
Do a water change to try and get rid of the salt before you medicate. The plec won't like salt much at all.
Also half dose as the plec doesn't have scales. If the meds have copper in they may kill the snails as well, causing further problems from pollution.
I wouldn't put the temp up that high with your stock.
Crush a quarter of a clove of garlic into an eggcup or similar, leave for 5 or 10 mins, then pop that in the tank as well, it will build up the immune systems.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by: Richie-S444
Thank you plankton, we were advised to add the salt by pets at home and yeah I meant to say about the scaleless plec. She advised the salt as it’ll give the fish a “boost”, I cannot remember if we told her we have a plec though.

I’ll be honest, I’m not mega fussed if the snails die as long as I can help the fish, I’d rather they didn’t die obviously though.

I’m now seeing the importance of a hospital/quarantine tank which I’ll sort out this weekend, if I can get that sorted before I treat the tank I’ll maybe move the snails out.
Thanks given by:
The salt won’t give freshwater fish ‘a boost’. It will add to their stress, especially the plec, with are harder to treat for whitespot than other fish as it is. It’s unnecessary in the treatment of whitespot. Also if you’re adding a treatment there’s no need to alter the temperature.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
[-] The following 1 user Likes black ghost's post:
  • plankton
Well, I added the white spot treatment yesterday but it was too late for the Molly, he only started to show spots the day before treating so maybe I diagnosed too late?

I’ve struggled a wee bit with cycling as I changed filter set ups and I think even with adding old bio media I’ve lost the cycle. Ive been doing 50% water changes every day or second day and cut way way back on feeding.

It’s all a bit disheartening as I certainly don’t remember anything like this happening about 20 years ago when I last had fish and we had no where near as good equipment, treatments and water testing as we do now.

Anyway it’s my stupidity for messing with the cycle, I’ve learned and I’ve ordered 2kg’s of biohome ultimate to add SLOWLY and phase out the Alfagrog 1 basket at a time.
Thanks given by:
Ah not not so good sorry about the Molly!! I’ve just got the biohome gravel, just transferred it all over into my 2 tanks, so far so good
150l
Apistogramma Hongsloi (Basil & Bertha), Ember Tetras, Sulawesi & Nerite snail, Pygmy Cory & fry (C Hastatus), Oto’s, emerald eyes, 2 Honey Gouramis (Sam & Dean), Ghost Shrimp & not forgetting the 3 orphaned mosquito raspboras
40l
Betta Splendens (Kung Fu Bob), Nerite snail, Salt & Pepper Pygmy Cory
100l (I think.....)
2 Fancy Goldfish (2 Ronnie’s) & their 2 snail friends, Woody & Buzz
Thanks given by:
Sorry about Molly, R-S, but don't be too disheartened by the failure to diagnose early enough. That's nearly impossible for us to do because the parasite will likely have established itself, invisibly to us, in the super-vulnerable gills long before we are able to see 'spots' on the outside of a fish.
Sorry to hear about the molly Sad
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 4 x Laetacara dorsigera, 2 x Apistogramma trifasciata (wild), 20 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 18 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 18 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.

My Flickr page
Thank you both.

We’ve just tested the water this morning, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0.25 nitrate which all seems good.

I’ve got an APS 1000ef with the external booster so my bottom basket in the main filter only has a polishing pad in it, I think when the biohome comes I’ll put some in the bottom basket so I’m not removing any existing media. After a month I’ll remove a basket of Alfagrog and put another basket of biohome in, wait a month, remove the last basket of Alfagrog and replace the polishing pad.

All my main mechanical filtration is being done in the booster with coarse, medium and fine filters so I may not even need the polishing pad anyway.

I feel a bit better after the water test.

Hope that all made sense, it was bit of a ramble lol.
Thanks given by:
Sorry to hear about the molly. Sad
Is the nitrate that low out of the tap?
If not, you need to bash the nitrate test bottles about to get them to work better (I won't say properly Wink ).
I've always thought alfagrog was good as a filter media......there may be better types of media available, but I still only use sponges...... Wink
Use the garlic anyway, it won't do any harm. Smile
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink