This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Greetings from Manchester
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 16
Brown & toilet paper like bits!
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 28
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: Colin Whitworth
Yesterday 10:38 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 1804
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 09:36 PM
» Replies: 462
» Views: 41500
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: debiharry
Yesterday 09:26 PM
» Replies: 883
» Views: 39726
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 09:09 PM
» Replies: 1783
» Views: 267431
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 408
High nitrites during cycle
Last Post: DrHouse
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 45
Betta + tetra feeding.. How?
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 67
Han's Shrimpy Scape!
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 420
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Yesterday 06:58 PM
» Replies: 252
» Views: 5697
Going bigger
Last Post: piker
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1397
Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru
Last Post: Alex34
Yesterday 06:34 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 125
One of my danios is missing
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 05:46 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Wiggles tank
Last Post: Wiggles
Yesterday 05:18 PM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1799

Hello everyone and questions
Hi all , 

Recently i decided to fulfill an old dream of mine and purchase an aquarium . I randomly ran into this offer and got a 54liter Tetra aquarium kit with an internal filter and heater for super cheap . 

Two weeks in and everything is going great , i have plants growing nicely and to my surprise those plants came with 4 microscopic snails which grew massively and are now about 1cm in size . 

Also added 5 shrimp, 10 neon tetras and 2 corydoras catfish . 

I really love making things myself so i diyed a channel to help with gas exchange and break up the heavy flow from the filter and a little co2 system that i run a few timer per week . 

Let me know if you would like to see these things Smile 

My questions come from trying to identify the shrimp and snail species , pet store guy wasnt too helpful and called the shrimp i got “common shrimp” and the snails were plant bonus so i have no idea . 

Any help is appreciated and yes DK stands for Denmark , couldnt find a decent forum here and i figured the english are a more friendly people aniway XD 

Edit: thanks for the imgur hint Smile got it fixed

[Image: 3EqEkxTl.jpg][Image: PqhdYZLl.jpg][Image: YTe859Il.jpg][Image: Tg4OUu8l.jpg]
[Image: iUvE0Lal.jpg]

Cheers ,

George
54l planted tank - Tropico                     54l planted tank - Blackhill Crossing                    19l planted cube  
10 Neon Tetra                                           No livestock currently                                         WIP
2 Corydoras Paleatus                                       tank is cycling
Shrimp ( no idea how many )
Lots of snails
[-] The following 7 users Like GeorgeDK's post:
  • Baddams, Fishydib, Gingerlove05, Jen1981, Netsu, plankton, Stevieglasgow
Thanks given by:
Hi & welcome, sounds like a lovely tank so yes please some pictures!! You have to click the imgur button on the left hand side then wait a few minutes for the link to appear to post a picture 😀
150l
Apistogramma Hongsloi (Basil & Bertha), Ember Tetras, Sulawesi & Nerite snail, Pygmy Cory & fry (C Hastatus), Oto’s, emerald eyes, 2 Honey Gouramis (Sam & Dean), Ghost Shrimp & not forgetting the 3 orphaned mosquito raspboras
40l
Betta Splendens (Kung Fu Bob), Nerite snail, Salt & Pepper Pygmy Cory
100l (I think.....)
2 Fancy Goldfish (2 Ronnie’s) & their 2 snail friends, Woody & Buzz
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jen1981's post:
  • GeorgeDK
Thanks given by:
Looks like Amano Shrimp and Bladder Snails to me, although I'm not 100% on the latter.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Community 240L - Bertha 2
Cherax 160L - The Bistro (WIP)
Shrimp Nano - District 9

[-] The following 1 user Likes Benville's post:
  • GeorgeDK
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2019, 09:02 PM)Benville Wrote: Looks like Amano Shrimp and Bladder Snails to me, although I'm not 100% on the latter.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
First of all i have to commend you for calling your shrimp tank District 9 , that's priceless XD

I thought they might be amanos but i guess ill have to see how big they get and how the markings start to develop as they age , in the 8 days they have been in there i saw 9 shells dropped off 5 shrimp so they are growing quickly. Now that you mention Bladder snails i found Physella Acuta , they look identical so i think we got a match there Smile thank you for that . 

Here are some pics of the channel and co2 , the bottle was cleaned thoroughly before use and i use 1 packet of yeast + 1 tablespoon of sugar to start it , runs for about an hour . Didnt want to disturb the fish by turning on the light . 

[Image: vBQ5uVSl.jpg]
[Image: 8hqIf2Ml.jpg]
[Image: LyxPwZSl.jpg]
54l planted tank - Tropico                     54l planted tank - Blackhill Crossing                    19l planted cube  
10 Neon Tetra                                           No livestock currently                                         WIP
Lots of snails
[-] The following 6 users Like GeorgeDK's post:
  • Baddams, Benville, Gingerlove05, Jen1981, Netsu, plankton
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome George Smile
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
Looking good, I like the Jim Bean sponsored CO2 system!

Welcome by the way!
Fluval 240L with 306. Water 1.68 dGh. 

19 Harlequin Rasbora, 15 Rummynose Tetra, 9 Panda Corydoras, 2 Bolivian Rams and 2 Amano shrimp.
Thanks given by:
I like the spray bar, that’s quite cool
150l
Apistogramma Hongsloi (Basil & Bertha), Ember Tetras, Sulawesi & Nerite snail, Pygmy Cory & fry (C Hastatus), Oto’s, emerald eyes, 2 Honey Gouramis (Sam & Dean), Ghost Shrimp & not forgetting the 3 orphaned mosquito raspboras
40l
Betta Splendens (Kung Fu Bob), Nerite snail, Salt & Pepper Pygmy Cory
100l (I think.....)
2 Fancy Goldfish (2 Ronnie’s) & their 2 snail friends, Woody & Buzz
Thanks given by:
Hi George and welcome

Stephen
Thanks given by:
Hej George.

Hvor hyggeligt med en anden Dansker!

You were right in choosing this forum! The Danish ones are far less friendly. Here you don't get mauled verbally for making mistakes, just guided in a friendly manner. I don't know why Danes are so hard on others online.
Thanks given by:
I think it depends on the type of forum and the people associated with that topic. Believe me there are some horrible English fan bases as well! Big Grin

Glad you’re enjoying this one though. It’s always great to share different cultures!
Fluval 240L with 306. Water 1.68 dGh. 

19 Harlequin Rasbora, 15 Rummynose Tetra, 9 Panda Corydoras, 2 Bolivian Rams and 2 Amano shrimp.
Thanks given by:
Blodige Nora! - another one!  Wink   Welcome, GDK.

I like the rain-bar, too.   

What's the blue thing next to the thermometer in your last pic - ah! I think I've got it now - your CO2 diffuser?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vale!'s post:
  • plankton
Thanks given by:
(15-09-2019, 07:51 AM)Vale! Wrote: Blodige Nora! - another one!  Wink  

You're nutty  Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum George. Big Grin
I don't think the shrimp are Amano, either one of the striped neocaradinas or "ghost" shrimp that have nasty pincers to catch unsuspecting other shrimp and small fish, but I can't make out whether they have the pincers or not in the pics.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Thanks everyone for your replies Smile

@LadyDay Yeah i think danes love being keyboard warriors Tongue
@Vale! yeah that is the temporary diffuser until i find time to buy one or make a better one

Last night i saw the neon tetras sleeping for the first time . Usually i go to sleep when i turn off the light around 22:00 but last night i was up late and found out that they twitch when they sleep so maybe they dream?
They turn off their colors at night , it was weird seeing them almost 100% transparent

I am thinking of doubling up on creatures , 10 more tetras , 5 shrimp and 2 catfish . Do you guys think that would be overstocked in a 54l tank ?

Also here is a picture of 2 sleeping tetras Smile

[Image: hsH2aFBl.jpg]
Lots of snails
Thanks given by:
Its funny watching fish sleep Smile my OH freaked out first time she seen it as she didnt realise they slept and all our platys were just lying still on the bottom on dark morning, she panicked a little rofl
What is your current stock and dimensions of the tank? It may help with working out stocking levels Smile

(15-09-2019, 08:58 AM)LadyDay Wrote:
(15-09-2019, 07:51 AM)Vale! Wrote: Blodige Nora! - another one!  Wink  

You're nutty  Big Grin

Been saying that for years! Well “mad” but you get the idea Big Grin
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by: