This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Greetings from Manchester
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 16
Brown & toilet paper like bits!
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 29
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: Colin Whitworth
Yesterday 10:38 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 1806
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 09:36 PM
» Replies: 462
» Views: 41500
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: debiharry
Yesterday 09:26 PM
» Replies: 883
» Views: 39726
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 09:09 PM
» Replies: 1783
» Views: 267437
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 410
High nitrites during cycle
Last Post: DrHouse
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 45
Betta + tetra feeding.. How?
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 67
Han's Shrimpy Scape!
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 425
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Yesterday 06:58 PM
» Replies: 252
» Views: 5697
Going bigger
Last Post: piker
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1397
Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru
Last Post: Alex34
Yesterday 06:34 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 125
One of my danios is missing
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 05:46 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Wiggles tank
Last Post: Wiggles
Yesterday 05:18 PM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1799

Guppy loss - RIP Keith
Hi guys just lost 1 of my guppy’s - RIP Keith.  Tanks been running now for over 3.5 weeks.
Bought 5 guppy’s last Friday - water tests  at LFS all good. Was told ammonia might go up as new fish being introduced.  

Keith from the start preferred to stay at the top level of the tank, venturing down every now and again, his fellow guppy’s seem more lively sprinting around the tank. 

It was painful to watch helplessly - Keith struggling in his final moments - if only I could have done more for him.

My other fish - 2 platys seem fine.

Not sure what happened to Keith?

Done  a 25% water change, water test results below
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite. 0.3
Nitrate. 15

Being a newbie - Could I have done anything different?

Any advice welcome.

RIP Keith.
Thanks given by:
Sorry for your loss.

It sounds as though you are in a fish-in cycle. Those levels of ammonia and nitrite are toxic to fish. You need to do as many water changes as you need to get those levels down to zero. You will need to test daily and water change whenever there is ammonia and/or nitrite readings of any kind. When you have 3 days in a row of 0 ammonia and nitrite your tank should then be cycled.

The weakest fish will be the first affected. If you continue to have ammonia and nitrite readings the other fish may begin to show signs of distress so keep a close eye on them.

A fish in cycle can take a while and is a lot of work so best of luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you need as everyone here will help and guide you through.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
Thanks Cheltgirl,
Would one water change daily be sufficient? And
How much water should I be changing 25, 30 50% ?
Thanks given by:
Sorry for your loss Sad
I would recommend around 50% to halve the levels if ammonia, if you have (or can get hold of)seachem prime that will also help as it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite but still allows them to be consumed by the filter bacteria. Its a handy economical water conditioner Smile
One water change a day until the levels settle will be fine Smile
Something you can try and it has worked for myself and other members here, is when you add new fish try adding some seachem stability or tetra safe start, they are both proven beneficial bacteria in a bottle so they can give your filter bacteria a boost when adding stock (which would increase the bioload and waste).
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
Thanks GL, I’ll start the 50% daily water changes, tomorrow - until the ammonia and nitrite levels are zero, and will add the seachem Stabilty as suggested when I add new stock.
Thanks given by:
You can try the stability in the tank now, it might help with the levels, although it is only meant to be used with a small number of fish, but it may work Smile
Thanks given by:
Thanks GL, I’ve just put the stabilty in.
Thanks given by:
How many prime - drops do I need to add to a 50% water change on a 12 gallon tank?
Thanks given by:
With prime the cap is 5ml which is enough to dose a 200l tank, each one of the screw threads is 1ml approx. which is enough for 40l. Although on a plus note you can dose prime 5x regular dosage in emergencies to help detoxify any ammonia and nitrite. Hope that makes sense.
I got myself a 1ml syringe to help with prime dosing Smile
Thanks given by: Flex365