This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Greetings from Manchester
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 15
Brown & toilet paper like bits!
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 27
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: Colin Whitworth
Yesterday 10:38 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 1804
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 09:36 PM
» Replies: 462
» Views: 41500
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: debiharry
Yesterday 09:26 PM
» Replies: 883
» Views: 39726
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 09:09 PM
» Replies: 1783
» Views: 267427
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 408
High nitrites during cycle
Last Post: DrHouse
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 45
Betta + tetra feeding.. How?
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 63
Han's Shrimpy Scape!
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 420
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Yesterday 06:58 PM
» Replies: 252
» Views: 5696
Going bigger
Last Post: piker
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1397
Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru
Last Post: Alex34
Yesterday 06:34 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 125
One of my danios is missing
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 05:46 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Wiggles tank
Last Post: Wiggles
Yesterday 05:18 PM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1799

Fish in cycle 😞 7 weeks in, still nothing??
I have a 60l tank, 6 Black Phantoms, lots of live plants. 

Over the weeks I've added a bit of gravel and some media from an established tank, I've tested and water changed 20-30% almost daily using Seachem Prime each time.

I am still only getting 0.2 with the very occasional 0.5 of ammonia and have never seen any Nitrites or Nitrates? 

I've had so much differing advice from keep going as you are, to the plants have given me a silent cycle and I'm good to go, to don't change the water till the ammonia reaches 2.0?? 

I'm assuming that if the tank was cycled I'd be getting nitrates, which I'm not?? 

Any more advice you can give me please
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum. Smile
What are the nitrates from the tapwater?
That will show what the nitrate value is likely to be with daily changes. Wink
With only 6 smallish fish you may not see any nitrite spikes, especially if the ammonia is only around 0.2ppm.
It could well be that you've added just about enough media from the established tank to almost cope with 6 phantoms. The nitrite munchers are much hardier than the ammonia ones.
You do need to keep up with water changes to keep the ammonia below 0.5ppm, and eventually stop when it's zero for three days. Smile
The Prime will be turning the ammonia into ammonium, which the munchers will still use, but it isn't toxic to the fish.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes plankton's post:
  • SuT
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome to the forum Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stephen's post:
  • SuT
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome Smile
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gingerlove05's post:
  • SuT
Thanks given by:
Hello. What Plankton said is bang on Smile
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheltgirl's post:
  • SuT
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2019, 09:37 AM)plankton Wrote: Welcome to the forum. Smile
With only 6 smallish fish you may not see any nitrite spikes, especially if the ammonia is only around 0.2ppm.
It could well be that you've added just about enough media from the established tank to almost cope with 6 phantoms. The nitrite munchers are much hardier than the ammonia ones.
You do need to keep up with water changes to keep the ammonia below 0.5ppm, and eventually stop when it's zero for three days. Smile
The Prime will be turning the ammonia into ammonium, which the munchers will still use, but it isn't toxic to the fish.
So my tap water is...... 
Ammonia 0.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Exactly the same as my tank water?? 
So if the water I'm putting in is 0.2 how am I going to get it to 0??
I'm assuming no more fish till then
Thank you
Thanks given by:
If your reading is 0.2 from your tap (mine comes out at 0.25ppm or a bit of a green tinge on the api test rather than bright yellow, always has although i havent tried the new test kit Big Grin) it will be your zero reading, its likely to be ammonium rather than ammonia. Just monitor the levels and see if they drop, although as you say if your getting 0.2 from your tap water it wont likely drop further (possibly just the test)
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2019, 04:46 PM)Gingerlove05 Wrote: If your reading is 0.2 from your tap (mine comes out at 0.25ppm or a bit of a green tinge on the api test rather than bright yellow, always has although i havent tried the new test kit Big Grin) it will be your zero reading, its likely to be ammonium rather than ammonia. Just monitor the levels and see if they drop, although as you say if your getting 0.2 from your tap water it wont likely drop further (possibly just the test)

I am currently having the same issues as OP, I was doing 50% WC with prime and Stabilty,with no success, taken further advice to do no more WC for 7 days - while bacteria builds up in my 4 week new tank fish in cycle and to half dose during this time with Stabilty, then after 7 days do WC  with prime and dose of Stabilty and monitor levels.

my tank test results 
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
PH 7

Tap water test
Ammonia 0.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

I was told the Ammonia could possibly be Ammonium and could show up on Water test as Ammonia.

Tap water test results below.

[Image: tBbQvu0l.jpg]
Thanks given by:
SuT Wrote:
plankton Wrote:Welcome to the forum. Smile
So my tap water is...... 
Ammonia 0.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Thank you

That will be your zero as GL has pointed out.

You could dose with Seachem Stability to give the beneficial bacteria a boost.
Follow the instructions on the bottle.
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2019, 05:39 PM)Stephen Wrote:
SuT Wrote:
plankton Wrote:Welcome to the forum. Smile
So my tap water is...... 
Ammonia 0.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Thank you

That will be your zero as GL has pointed out.

You could dose with Seachem Stability to give the beneficial bacteria a boost.
Follow the instructions on the bottle.
So basically after 7 weeks I'm not even close to the next step?
I'm assuming I've just got to keep going till Nitrite then Nitrate shows up?
Thanks given by:
Quote:So basically after 7 weeks I'm not even close to the next step?

I'm assuming I've just got to keep going till Nitrite then Nitrate shows up?

A fish in cycle can take much longer but you may already be cycled, hard to tell.
The Seachem Stability will certainly help build up the beneficial bacteria.
Thanks given by:
On my water test pic above
The chart shows
Both Nitrite and Nitrate boxes with zero have a tick next to them, I’m assuming this is a good thing ?

I’m sure someone more experienced will advise if you’ve already reached the correct levels of Nitrite and Nitrate. In my very limited experience I thought that
Zero levels where considered a good thing in the water tests , you seem to be at - both zero levels for Nitrite and Nitrate already.

Could it possibly be that at some stage you did have higher Levels of Nitrite and Nitrate and now the levels have gone down to an acceptable zero?
Thanks given by:
Are you sure your tap water has zero nitrates? Not even the slightest of readings? Have you had a look on your water suppliers website? Most will allow you to search by town or postcode to get average readings so you can have a baseline to compare to.

Unfortunately fish in cycles can be tricky like this. If your tap readings match your suppliers website then at some point you will have to choose when to stop dosing stability or water changing for a week and see if the tests (ammonia/nitrite) change. If they do then your not cycled. If thy don’t you can move forward.
  • SuT
Thanks given by: SuT
(21-09-2019, 07:11 PM)Flex365 Wrote: On my water test pic above
The chart shows
Both Nitrite and Nitrate boxes with zero have a tick next to them, I’m assuming this is a good thing ?

I’m sure someone more experienced will advise if you’ve already reached the correct levels of Nitrite and Nitrate. In my very limited experience I thought that
Zero levels where considered a good thing in the water tests , you seem to be at - both zero levels for Nitrite and Nitrate already.

Could it possibly be that at some stage you did have higher Levels of Nitrite and Nitrate and now the levels have gone down to an acceptable zero?

People do tend to worry far too much about nitrates. You are not aiming for zero. Ammonia and nitrite need to be at zero. My tap nitrates are 30-40 and I have no problems. In fact they help to feed plants etc.
  • SuT
Thanks given by:
Newbies like me do tend to worry about all water Levels including Nitrates being at zero - especially when we look at the water test kit chart and only the box with zero is ticked as an acceptable level.

This chart test indicator states that we are aiming for zero Nitrates?
Just my thoughts.

Thanks for clearing this up CG.
Thanks given by: