This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Greetings from Manchester
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 15
Brown & toilet paper like bits!
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 26
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: Colin Whitworth
Yesterday 10:38 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 1804
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 09:36 PM
» Replies: 462
» Views: 41500
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: debiharry
Yesterday 09:26 PM
» Replies: 883
» Views: 39726
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 09:09 PM
» Replies: 1783
» Views: 267426
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 408
High nitrites during cycle
Last Post: DrHouse
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 45
Betta + tetra feeding.. How?
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 63
Han's Shrimpy Scape!
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 417
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Yesterday 06:58 PM
» Replies: 252
» Views: 5696
Going bigger
Last Post: piker
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1397
Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru
Last Post: Alex34
Yesterday 06:34 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 125
One of my danios is missing
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 05:46 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Wiggles tank
Last Post: Wiggles
Yesterday 05:18 PM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1799

My first tank!
Photo 
Hi Everyone,

I've just bought my first aquarium - i've gone for the Fluval flex 57L. Just set it up today, and gone with a stone/wood/planted combination and I'm really pleased with how it's turned out. I plan on giving the plants approx 6 hours of light for the first week or so, I'm just praying they stay rooted in! Getting some shrimp very soon I'll look at fish later down the line (i'm considering some neon/cardinal tetra to start and then i'll add a betta a few weeks after that). How quickly should i get shrimp in? I've seen several videos that say to get them immediately - what do you think?

Would love to hear any tips/tricks for a newbie!

AquaSkip

[Image: AFzSXAMl.jpg]

[Image: kaNu6qSl.jpg]
[-] The following 8 users Like AquaSkip's post:
  • Annie, Baddams, Flex365, kelynrowan, Lroy, Netsu, Ric, Stevieglasgow
Thanks given by:
Hi & welcome, lovely tank!!
I wouldn’t put shrimp into a new tank, shrimp really need a mature tank with plenty of biofilm to feed on 😀
150l
Apistogramma Hongsloi (Basil & Bertha), Ember Tetras, Sulawesi & Nerite snail, Pygmy Cory & fry (C Hastatus), Oto’s, emerald eyes, 2 Honey Gouramis (Sam & Dean), Ghost Shrimp & not forgetting the 3 orphaned mosquito raspboras
40l
Betta Splendens (Kung Fu Bob), Nerite snail, Salt & Pepper Pygmy Cory
100l (I think.....)
2 Fancy Goldfish (2 Ronnie’s) & their 2 snail friends, Woody & Buzz
Thanks given by:
(01-10-2019, 06:50 PM)Jen1981 Wrote: Hi & welcome, lovely tank!!
I wouldn’t put shrimp into a new tank, shrimp really need a mature tank with plenty of biofilm to feed on 😀

Great, thanks.

So i will just do a fishless cycle, how often do you recommend adding food to the tank? Is once a day ok? and how often do you recommend I water test at the start? Every other day?

Sorry for the questions, but am completely new to this and want to start with a healthy tank!
Thanks given by:
For a planted tank you may want to read up about the 'silent cycle' and how plants and having a substrate that will leach ammonia will affect your cycle. Though if the plants are only slow growing varieties and I didn't see any ammonia register on tests within a week I would probably still cycle with 1 to 2ppm ammonia (the lower preferably, then slowly add stock one cycled).

I'd also advise trying to get your hands on some cycled filter media or even if you know someone with a tank a squeeze of their sponge on to yours when they do a water change would be quite beneficial.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes properphatboy's post:
  • Hanlou
Thanks given by:
There is a cycling guide on the guides link at the top of the page that will take you through the ammonia dosing cycle, a few people on here have followed that.
As above though I actually got mature media from my cousins tank which saved me from the whole cycling part
150l
Apistogramma Hongsloi (Basil & Bertha), Ember Tetras, Sulawesi & Nerite snail, Pygmy Cory & fry (C Hastatus), Oto’s, emerald eyes, 2 Honey Gouramis (Sam & Dean), Ghost Shrimp & not forgetting the 3 orphaned mosquito raspboras
40l
Betta Splendens (Kung Fu Bob), Nerite snail, Salt & Pepper Pygmy Cory
100l (I think.....)
2 Fancy Goldfish (2 Ronnie’s) & their 2 snail friends, Woody & Buzz
Thanks given by:
Welcome to Wink 

Lovely looking tank, very nice.  Smile 

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

[Image: J81tL24l.jpg]
Tank 80% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum. Smile

Does the Flex need filling right to the top like some of the other designer tanks?
If so, the betta won't do too well. Wink It's also a bit small with other fish in there as well for one.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Aquaskip, I also started a chemical-free ammonia cycle 5 weeks ago. I put plants in as soon as the subtrate settled (it was sand over gravel). In order to kick-start the cycle I added a few drops of Ammonnium Chloride purchased from a bottle purchased on the web. That did the trick as now the ammonia has alnmost gone and the nitrites and nitrates are being eaten by the bacteria. The plants have also flourished. Even the "brown algae" which seemed to bloom a couple of days ago seems to have partially vanished. Hopefully the tank will be ready to take its fish after the 6 weeks are up. I intend to start first with a few guppies, and then move on to other species as my experience broadens. As I expalined in another thread, the biggest problem I faced was that the plants kept floating to the top ! :-) Good luck and hope you enjoy this new experience as much as I am.

P.S. I did 50% water change for weeks 4 and 5 as the nitrite numbers from tests were off the scale! They are now in decline. Also chemical tests are essential and don't forget to check the chemical composition of your tap water.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some great ideas!
Thanks given by:
Welcome!

Like the layout! I’m thinking of getting the same tank at some point in the future so I’ll follow this with interest!
Fluval 240L with 306. Water 1.68 dGh. 

19 Harlequin Rasbora, 15 Rummynose Tetra, 9 Panda Corydoras, 2 Bolivian Rams and 2 Amano shrimp.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Netsu's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome.
The tank looks very nice. [Image: JHXiCvzl.gif]
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome to the site. I have the Flex, called The Kremlin, just with Bronze Corys at the moment.
Love the layout of yours, always makes me want to reshape when I see other people’s thank Big Grin
Enjoy the forum !
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze, Peppered  & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Annie's post:
  • Ric
Thanks given by:
So I decided to use the Fluval cycle (biological enhancer). I've followed the guidelines and have been using it for three days to give my tank a kickstart. The reviews for this product are great and after doing several water tests, I went to my local aquarium centre and decided to by two Mollys to start of my journey. I have had the fish in for two days now and they are doing great, they are loving the new environment (and can swim underneath the wood which is great) and the water levels are currently well balanced (I will keep an eye on this). The plants are doing very well and are starting to grow. I've currently held back on the Amano shrimp for the time being as I'm conscious of them eating all of my healthy plants. When should i think about introducing these to the tank? I want to check how the tank is doing in a week or two and introduce some more fish.

Here's a few photos:

[Image: kdzwpZZl.jpg]
[Image: OhAHjXil.jpg]
[Image: zjlsvgEl.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like AquaSkip's post:
  • Gingerlove05, Stevieglasgow
Thanks given by:
I don't know the Fluval Cycle product; I've done fishless cycling with fish food and that takes 6-8 weeks to complete. Perhaps keep an eye on your water parameters as your tank is only 5 days old.

The mollies look nice and with 2 males you certainly won't have to worry about being overrun with fry. On the other hand, one may start to bully the other and chase him continuously. If that happens, rehome one of the males and just keep one.

Re the amanos: not sure where you get the idea from that they would eat your healthy plants. If the plant is healthy, the amanos would just clean it. If the plant is not healthy and rotting then the amanos would eat the decaying leaves. Also, as advised in an earlier post, they do need a fully established tank with biofilm and some algae for them to feed on so do hold off, perhaps a month or two easily.
Thanks given by:
Lovely looking Mollies
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze, Peppered  & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
Cool Mollies.
Yep, Ric's right - I've got a dozen Amanos and they just clean away any dead plant matter, not live plants.
Once your tank's ready for them, get some. they're great characters and do a good job clearing up.
Planted Fluval 240 Roma
18 Harlequins
12 Amano Shrimp
8 Panda Corydoras
6 Kuhli Loaches
4 Otos
3 Pearl Gouramis
3 Assassin Snails
1 Neon Tetra
Platy fry
Thanks given by: