This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Greetings from Manchester
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 16
Brown & toilet paper like bits!
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 29
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: Colin Whitworth
Yesterday 10:38 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 1806
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 09:36 PM
» Replies: 462
» Views: 41500
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: debiharry
Yesterday 09:26 PM
» Replies: 883
» Views: 39726
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 09:09 PM
» Replies: 1783
» Views: 267434
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 410
High nitrites during cycle
Last Post: DrHouse
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 45
Betta + tetra feeding.. How?
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 67
Han's Shrimpy Scape!
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 425
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Yesterday 06:58 PM
» Replies: 252
» Views: 5697
Going bigger
Last Post: piker
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1397
Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru
Last Post: Alex34
Yesterday 06:34 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 125
One of my danios is missing
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 05:46 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Wiggles tank
Last Post: Wiggles
Yesterday 05:18 PM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1799

Upgrading from 70L to 125L tank
Hi everyone. Thanks for your help re my black widow terra - seems fine now. 

Have now got my Fluval Roma 125 and want to move all my fish over.

Confusing advice at LFS with them saying two options - can move all the fish with their water and filter etc and top up (with treated tap water) by 60 litres.  Or set up tank with new water and go through a fishless cycle, checking for ammonia and then when all settled add the fish in a few at a time. 

Want to do what’s best for the fish. Was thinking I could set up the new tank (do I use a bio boost or something?) with the heater and an air stone and maybe a couple of plants from the old tank (plastic) and put the small stingray filter in from the old tank (the tank has an internal filter so the stingray is just a second one). Then I was thinking I could put the Fluval u3 filter (which is for the new tank) into the old tank for a few days to start up the bacteria before moving it to the new one. 

Does this make any sense at all? .  Can someone point me in the right direction please? 

(Pic of old tank and new tank for info)
Thanks given by:
What you are saying makes sense in respect of your thinking.

Forget transferring the old water as it contains very little bacteria.
I would start from scratch, set up the new tank with substrate, plants, décor etc.. and get it looking as you want it to look.
Start a fishless cycle but maybe dose the new tank with Seachem Stability (15ml) to give the fishless cycle a helping start.
After 24 hours do an ammonia test reading and top up to 2ppm as you would with a fishless cycle.
The fishless cycle should complete a lot faster when done in conjunction with Seachem Stability.
When the cycle is complete then just transfer the fish over.
(You will now have two cycled tanks) Wink

That's what I would do.
You may even consider getting an external filter instead of the Fluval U3.
An external filter holds more media than an internal and gives more space in the fish tank.
When I added a new 125L tank next to my existing 240L tank I transferred some media from my existing external filter to the new filter on my 125L tank.
I dosed the 240L and the 125L tanks with a proven "bacteria in a bottle" such as Seachem Stability and both tanks were virtually good to go.
When I upgraded to my current 6 foot (600L) tank I just transferred all the media over from the existing filters to the new filters (and topped up the media) and the new tank was ready for fish.

I hope my reply hasn't bored you too much.

All the best
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2019, 07:06 PM)Stephen Wrote: What you are saying makes sense in respect of your thinking.

Forget transferring the old water as it contains very little bacteria.
I would start from scratch, set up the new tank with substrate, plants, décor etc.. and get it looking as you want it to look.
Start a fishless cycle but maybe dose the new tank with Seachem Stability (15ml) to give the fishless cycle a helping start.
After 24 hours do an ammonia test reading and top up to 2ppm as you would with a fishless cycle.
The fishless cycle should complete a lot faster when done in conjunction with Seachem Stability.
When the cycle is complete then just transfer the fish over.
(You will now have two cycled tanks) Wink

That's what I would do.
You may even consider getting an external filter instead of the Fluval U3.
An external filter holds more media than an internal and gives more space in the fish tank.
When I added a new 125L tank next to my existing 240L tank I transferred some media from my existing external filter to the new filter on my 125L tank.
I dosed the 240L and the 125L tanks with a proven "bacteria in a bottle" such as Seachem Stability and both tanks were virtually good to go.
When I upgraded to my current 6 foot (600L) tank I just transferred all the media over from the existing filters to the new filters (and topped up the media) and the new tank was ready for fish.

I hope my reply hasn't bored you too much.

All the best
Thanks Stephen. Not boring at all - really helpful thanks. Ok, so I’ll start a fishless cycle tomorrow and get some of Seachem stability. 

Just a couple of questions. Much as I’d like to, I can’t really upgrade to an external filter at the moment as had to buy new gravel, bigger heater and  2 new Aquasky LEDs to replace the old t8 tubes (as they weren’t working) . So, shall I simply put the fluval U3 in the new tank on its own or give the tank a boost by putting in the the stingray (which already has the bacteria as it’s an established filter? 

I’ll test for ammonia, would I expect to see a spike in 4/5 days? How long do you think it will take using this method to stabilise?  Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks, Penny
Thanks given by:
Remember that if you take the "Stingray" out of the tank it's in, then that tank will have to make up the amount of munchers that you take out, so you may find you get a spike in the original tank. Wink
Having said that, it would be a good idea to add some mature media from the current tank into the new filter. I'd probably take half the sponge from the Stingray and pop it in.

Also....be careful with the ammonia as you'll have a small colony of munchers from the media transfer, so don't go above 2ppm (in fact, I would stay closer to 1ppm) as you stand a chance of killing off what you already have.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2019, 09:16 AM)plankton Wrote: Remember that if you take the "Stingray" out of the tank it's in, then that tank will have to make up the amount of munchers that you take out, so you may find you get a spike in the original tank. Wink
Having said that, it would be a good idea to add some mature media from the current tank into the new filter. I'd probably take half the sponge from the Stingray and pop it in.

Also....be careful with the ammonia as you'll have a small colony of munchers from the media transfer, so don't go above 2ppm (in fact, I would stay closer to 1ppm) as you stand a chance of killing off what you already have.
So, all seems to be going well so far.  I have everything in the tank as suggested (some plants etc from the old tank) and put in a evolution aqua pure large bomb as the LFS didnt have Seachem stability.  Had a bit of cloudiness the same day which has now completely cleared.  Decided to leave the stingray in the old tank for now.

Yesterday i added some pure ammonia and have tested today and have readings of Ammonia  between 0.5 and 1 (a slight green) and nitrites already at 1.5.  I'm hoping this is because there were already some bacteria in the tank (and through putting the aquabomb in?

Should I continue to add reduced amounts of ammonia say every other day ?  And then test every couple of days.

What levels will I be looking for with the Ammonia and nitrites - is it a case of now waiting until both are zero?

Thanks
[Image: GuJ0WHyl.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Penge28's post:
  • Annie, Stevieglasgow
Thanks given by:
Are you keeping the small tank running for other fish or is this a complete upgrade? If you’re not keeping the old one running why don’t you just move all the media from the old filter into the new one. No need to cycle then and you can just move all the fish over at the same time??
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
Quote:Should I continue to add reduced amounts of ammonia say every other day ?  And then test every couple of days.

What levels will I be looking for with the Ammonia and nitrites - is it a case of now waiting until both are zero?

When the ammonia gets low then top up to 2ppm.
Keep topping up to 2ppm when the ammonia drop to almost zero.
Nitrites will eventually appear but keep topping up the ammonia to 2ppm.
It's only when the nitrite level starts dropping that you are getting close to completion.
When both ammonia and nitrite drop to zero after 24 hours and for 3 consecutive days that the cycle is complete.
Then do a big water change and add fish.

All the best
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2019, 10:46 PM)Stephen Wrote:
Quote:Should I continue to add reduced amounts of ammonia say every other day ?  And then test every couple of days.

When the ammonia gets low then top up to 2ppm.
Keep topping up to 2ppm when the ammonia drop to almost zero.
Nitrites will eventually appear but keep topping up the ammonia to 2ppm.
It's only when the nitrite level starts dropping that you are getting close to completion.
When both ammonia and nitrite drop to zero after 24 hours and for 3 consecutive days that the cycle is complete.
Then do a big water change and add fish.

All the best
Thanks Stephen

That makes sense.  I do already have nitrites though so I'll keep monitoring and topping up until they drop.
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2019, 08:44 PM)Cheltgirl Wrote: Are you keeping the small tank running for other fish or is this a complete upgrade? If you’re not keeping the old one running why don’t you just move all the media from the old filter into the new one. No need to cycle then and you can just move all the fish over at the same time??
Thanks Cheltgirl

It is a complete upgrade but the old one has an internal filter and I wasn't sure if I could do it (I suppose now thinking about it I could have simply "cut" the sponge filter in half and put it in the new canister filter plus moved the stingray (support filter) in too and all the fish.  Just didn't want to risk them suffering in any way.

I probably can't do this now though as I've started a new cycle, until at least the the ammonia and nitrite levels have dropped !
Thanks given by:
Best to carry on as you are now as you’ve added ammonia and started a cycle. Bear it in mind for the next upgrade (we all do it sooner or later Big Grin)
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheltgirl's post:
  • Penge28
Thanks given by: