This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Greetings from Manchester
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 15
Brown & toilet paper like bits!
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 26
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: Colin Whitworth
Yesterday 10:38 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 1804
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 09:36 PM
» Replies: 462
» Views: 41500
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: debiharry
Yesterday 09:26 PM
» Replies: 883
» Views: 39726
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 09:09 PM
» Replies: 1783
» Views: 267426
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 408
High nitrites during cycle
Last Post: DrHouse
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 45
Betta + tetra feeding.. How?
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 63
Han's Shrimpy Scape!
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 417
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Yesterday 06:58 PM
» Replies: 252
» Views: 5696
Going bigger
Last Post: piker
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1397
Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru
Last Post: Alex34
Yesterday 06:34 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 125
One of my danios is missing
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 05:46 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Wiggles tank
Last Post: Wiggles
Yesterday 05:18 PM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1799

Guppies
Everything I have read about guppies  and angel fish is, keeping them in the same tank is a big NO! NO!

But I watched a video from a guppy breeder that showed his guppies actually cleaning his angels just like a marine wrasse. ?????????? and the angels just floated and seem to enjoy it.

Regards Bob
Thanks given by:
It all depends what you want from your tank:

If you want to keep guppies, perhaps breed them and just watch them swim about then angels will get in the way. Angels are cichlids and thus predators - they will eat guppy fry and any guppies they can fit in their mouth. 

They are very inquisitive and like to investigate so a nice flowing guppy tail will spark their curiosity and they may nip, causing damage and stress to the guppy.

You may just about get away with that one, if you have a tank full of adult guppies first and then add a tiny small angel. That might stop the angel fin nipping simply because any adult guppies may appear too big to take on. It will not, however, stop the angel hunting any little fry. Obviously, as the angel grows, it will able to fit larger and larger fish in its mouth.

The main problem, though, is that guppies need hard water whilst angels prefer soft water, especially any wild caught varieties. Again, you might get around that, if you can find angels that have been bred in hard water areas for a while.

Another point of consideration is space: angels can (and should) grow quite large so would need a much bigger tank than what you could use for guppies. I'd say a single angel in a 100ltr tank would be the minimum. On the other hand you could have quite a lively breeding colony of guppies in a 100ltr tank.

I think once you have considered those aspects, you might be able to find ways to work around and keep angels and guppies together. Just a combination you should not put together carelessly.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ric's post:
  • Baddams, Cheltgirl
Thanks given by:
Hi Ric, thanks for the reply, I do not want to breed guppies, I just would like a nice group of fancy males.
So I think I shall get rid of my angels, will be sorry to see them go go.

Regards Bob
Thanks given by:
As Gingerlove advised in your other thread - guppies do need hard water and will not do well in soft water. If you choose species suitable to your water conditions, you will enjoy your tank much more. Nobody (in their right mind) enjoys looking at a tank of suffering fish. 
Just something for you to consider before going out to add fish...
Thanks given by: