This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Greetings from Manchester
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 16
Brown & toilet paper like bits!
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 29
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: Colin Whitworth
Yesterday 10:38 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 1806
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 09:36 PM
» Replies: 462
» Views: 41500
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: debiharry
Yesterday 09:26 PM
» Replies: 883
» Views: 39726
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 09:09 PM
» Replies: 1783
» Views: 267437
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 410
High nitrites during cycle
Last Post: DrHouse
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 45
Betta + tetra feeding.. How?
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 67
Han's Shrimpy Scape!
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 425
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Yesterday 06:58 PM
» Replies: 252
» Views: 5697
Going bigger
Last Post: piker
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1397
Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru
Last Post: Alex34
Yesterday 06:34 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 125
One of my danios is missing
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 05:46 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Wiggles tank
Last Post: Wiggles
Yesterday 05:18 PM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1799

Oxygen Levels
Just found out what is wrong with my Dwarf Gourami, he is starved of oxygen, LFS checked the levels for me and they came out at 2mgll and according to them it should be between 6/8mgll. I didn’t register with me because none of my other fish seem to be effected, the thing is as I said before I chopped down my heavily planted tank pretty drastic, that’s the only thing altered in my tank.

The thing is now how do I get it back up quickly, I have done a 25% water change but as yet no change, I have a good supply of air bubbles and a vigorous surface agitation, I have read that leaving the lights on for over 16hrs will help ????

What do the learned members on this forum suggest I do, please any comments will be greatly appreciated.

My tank has a well fit glass top, should I remove this?

Regards Bob
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2019, 01:44 PM)robert1305 Wrote: Just found out what is wrong with my Dwarf Gourami, he is starved of oxygen, LFS checked the levels for me and they came out at 2mgll and according to them it should be between 6/8mgll. I didn’t register with me because none of my other fish seem to be effected, the thing is as I said before I chopped down my heavily planted tank pretty drastic, that’s the only thing altered in my tank.

The thing is now how do I get it back up quickly, I have done a 25% water change but as yet no change, I have a good supply of air bubbles and a vigorous surface agitation, I have read that leaving the lights on for over 16hrs will help ????

What do the learned members on this forum suggest I do, please any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Bob
Sorry Bob, but that is a weird advise.
(Dwarf) Gouramis are "equipped" with a second breathingsystem cause they live in stagnant waters that are very low on oxygen.

So for any other fish I would understand, but this can't be the issue with a gourami at all.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Is he maybe stressed with something, is he new or have you added in any new fish recently?
150l
Apistogramma Hongsloi (Basil & Bertha), Ember Tetras, Sulawesi & Nerite snail, Pygmy Cory & fry (C Hastatus), Oto’s, emerald eyes, 2 Honey Gouramis (Sam & Dean), Ghost Shrimp & not forgetting the 3 orphaned mosquito raspboras
40l
Betta Splendens (Kung Fu Bob), Nerite snail, Salt & Pepper Pygmy Cory
100l (I think.....)
2 Fancy Goldfish (2 Ronnie’s) & their 2 snail friends, Woody & Buzz
Thanks given by:
I concur with DD.

If the O2 concentration really is 2mg/l, then any non-labyrinth fish in the tank (i.e. those without DD's 'second breathing system') should be dead or dying. Is that the case*?  If not, I suggest that the shop's oxygen test is either no longer fit for purpose, assuming it was at one time, or that it was conducted improperly. 

* edit : I've just seen that it isn't.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vale!'s post:
  • DoubleDutch
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2019, 02:01 PM)DoubleDutch Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 01:44 PM)robert1305 Wrote: Just found out what is wrong with my Dwarf Gourami, he is starved of oxygen, LFS checked the levels for me and they came out at 2mgll and according to them it should be between 6/8mgll. I didn’t register with me because none of my other fish seem to be effected, the thing is as I said before I chopped down my heavily planted tank pretty drastic, that’s the only thing altered in my tank.

Regards Bob
(Dwarf) Gouramis are "equipped" with a second breathingsystem cause they live in stagnant waters that are very low on oxygen.

So for any other fish I would understand, but this can't be the issue with a gourami at all.

Thanks given by:
(10-10-2019, 03:02 PM)robert1305 Wrote:

Regards Bob

That's what I thought, but he is up at the top ALL the time and is gulping air ALL the time
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2019, 03:07 PM)robert1305 Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 03:02 PM)robert1305 Wrote:

Regards Bob

That's what I thought, but he is up at the top ALL the time and is gulping air ALL the time
The fish has an issue, not the water.

Thanks given by:
I am glad you you said that DD, because I have been convinced that since I saw Berts mate on the bottom of the tank dead I believe that ALL gouramies have a genetic gene that might cause unexplained deaths, I wonder if there are any fish keepers out there that have had fish just die for no reason that can be explained.
He is really acting as though he is sick, but apart from his laboured breathing, and lethargic manner he looks OK!!! and of course his lack of appetite.
DD is right Bert has an issue, BUT what is it ?????????

Regards BOB
Thanks given by:
The reason I ever joined the UK forum were dead DG's in Hollamd by an unknown cause.

Ian @plankton was the one that welcomed me and pointed me to Dwarf Gourami Disease. A virus that we have "bred into" this beautiful fishspecies. It is disastrous.

Thanks given by:
Yes, the iridovirus that they have is due to the way they are bred and raised in a cocktail of meds.
This makes their immune systems unable to cope with normal problems.
I did ask on your other thread about the temp, as I thought it may be that he may just be taking in lots of oxygen to cope with it.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2019, 08:41 AM)plankton Wrote: Yes, the iridovirus that they have is due to the way they are bred and raised in a cocktail of meds.
This makes their immune systems unable to cope with normal problems.
I did ask on your other thread about the temp, as I thought it may be that he may just be taking in lots of oxygen to cope with it.
Thanks for all your replies but I am sorry to say that Bert my D/G passed away peacefully during the night.

I couldn’t see anything wrong with him, no lifting scales, no slime, gills nice and reddish, bright eyes must say he looked as good dead as he did alive.

My two angels are being re-homed today so I have to decide what to have next, I fancied fancy guppies but after reading up on them, and all the horror stories of keeping them alive for any length of time in a community tank I don’t know. I can not seem to raise the really soft water I have, so maybe should keep to small fish that like soft water conditions, the 5 Cardinals I am left with are doing fine, so maybe something of that ilk, something with a lot of colour, and panache LOL

Regards Bob
Thanks given by:
Sorry for your loss Sad
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
Sorry to hear Bob.

Thanks given by:
Sorry you lost him Sad

Lemon tetras are nice when they've coloured-up. Smile
If at first you don't succeed....