This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Greetings from Manchester
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 16
Brown & toilet paper like bits!
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 29
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: Colin Whitworth
Yesterday 10:38 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 1806
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 09:36 PM
» Replies: 462
» Views: 41501
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: debiharry
Yesterday 09:26 PM
» Replies: 883
» Views: 39726
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 09:09 PM
» Replies: 1783
» Views: 267437
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 410
High nitrites during cycle
Last Post: DrHouse
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 45
Betta + tetra feeding.. How?
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 67
Han's Shrimpy Scape!
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 425
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Yesterday 06:58 PM
» Replies: 252
» Views: 5697
Going bigger
Last Post: piker
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1397
Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru
Last Post: Alex34
Yesterday 06:34 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 125
One of my danios is missing
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 05:46 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Wiggles tank
Last Post: Wiggles
Yesterday 05:18 PM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1799

Platy struggling to swim - Photo Added
Sad 
Hi,

I recently lost one of my platies - there around 15month old now, were a pets a home fish and havent had the easiest life (Biorb 30 probably too early, then a bit of a ammonia spike when they went into the Lido 200 (albeit that was about 3 months ago now) but I now have another that seems ill.

It seems like it cant swim, it lies on the bottom with the fins moving quite alot, it then seems to put alot of effort in to swim up to the top or swim around, the second it stops swiming like mad it seems to just sink.

Any ideas? - Id think they arent "old" yet? - but i am aware i never gave them the best start unfortunately

Lee
Thanks given by:
It does sound like a swim bladder issue and may be related to age, a few of my livebearers have gone this way as they get old.
The trouble is you never know how old they are when you get them, or how they were kept before you got them.
How hard is your water?
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
Water is really hard, keep meaning get a RO filter.

I've been and got some Interpret swim bladder. Do i put the dose in the tank even though all the other fish are ok?

It also says for me to remove the carbon media, how long do i leave this out?

Thanks
Lee
Thanks given by:
Platys love hard water, they dont do well in soft water. So no need for the RO with them.
Do you have any pics? Platys can be greedy and he may have eaten too much putting pressure on the swim bladder so a starve day or two with a feeding of peas might help.
I dont use carbon media unless its for removing meds/tanins, it only lasts around 6 weeks anyway.
Thanks given by:
Ah i'm running (Jewel filter) the Carbax, Amorax and Cirax media, although both the carbax and amorax are due for replacement (based on jewe replace times)

I'm not sure what they are even filtering out

Just been looking as did the water change this morning - its not actually on the bottom atm but its staying really low and is hidden in the plants right at the back so a pic is a no go at the moment.

Lee
Thanks given by:
Only change the carbon sponge if you do change any, leave the rest. Otherwise you would remove some of your beneficial bacteria and cause your tank to spike/recycle. I only gently rinse my sponges when the filter flow drops, normally ever few months (maybe). The amorax is probably for ammonia, the carbon is for fine particles meds and tannins, and cirax is probably housng the beneficial bacteria. Not totally sure, i’ve never used the juwel filter Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Hi Gingerlove,

Its not sponges, its containers of media:

https://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/Product...ia/Carbax/

https://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/Product...dia/Cirax/

So i should remove the carbax - then put the med in.

Presume the med wont harm any other fish?

How long do i leave it before putting the carbax back in?

Lee
Thanks given by:
Same difference Big Grin
The cirax houses your beneficial bacteria so dont change that. You can put the carbon back in after the course of meds although i would recommend trying the pea method first before the meds.
For the peas i normally put them in a cup with some boiling water, microwave it for 30secs-1min then remove the shell and feed the mushy inside (you can break it up a bit).
As i also previously mentioned it could be age related as you have had them 15months and they could be a year or so old when you buy them, platys have a lifespan of 3-5years. I have had many born here that have only lasted 3 years maybe a bit over, although i have had (and still have 1) who got over/around 4 years old.
Thanks given by:
I'll try the peas tomorrow then - yeah could be age i guess.

I've also seen (even in this state) - it seems to like going over to one of the bolivian rams part of the tank...so its not impossible that it decided to pick on someone its own size...then came up against a ram.

Lee
Thanks given by:
That may be part of the issue if he’s in the rams territory and they’re chasing him out, they may have hit the swim bladder or injured him.
Thanks given by:
Hi,

I fed peas yesterday and as you suggested - they loved it.

I've noticed since however the platy has come up with a silver/white mark or maybe a scale hanging off - Try get a pic but they wont stay still!!

[Image: K6DFsh7l.jpg]

Any ideas?

Lee
Thanks given by:
Just ran some water tests

PH 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40 (maybe a bit less, bit more orange than 40, but not 20)

API Test kit
Thanks given by:
Possible small knick/injury. It should clear up in a couple of days but keep an eye on it. If she (?) has been in the rams territory the ram may have caught her.
Thanks given by:
You could use some Melafix to prevent secondary problems and aid the repair. Wink
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by: