This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Greetings from Manchester
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 16
Brown & toilet paper like bits!
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 29
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: Colin Whitworth
Yesterday 10:38 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 1806
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 09:36 PM
» Replies: 462
» Views: 41501
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: debiharry
Yesterday 09:26 PM
» Replies: 883
» Views: 39726
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 09:09 PM
» Replies: 1783
» Views: 267443
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 410
High nitrites during cycle
Last Post: DrHouse
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 45
Betta + tetra feeding.. How?
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 67
Han's Shrimpy Scape!
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 425
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Yesterday 06:58 PM
» Replies: 252
» Views: 5697
Going bigger
Last Post: piker
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1397
Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru
Last Post: Alex34
Yesterday 06:34 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 125
One of my danios is missing
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 05:46 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Wiggles tank
Last Post: Wiggles
Yesterday 05:18 PM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1799

Jon's TroublesomeTank
If you tell me that my tank is haunted, I will believe you. It  is now 39 days into the fish and chemical free cycle. I have been making regular 20% water changes, and would have expected the cycle figures to show some improvement , both because it is well into the cycle and also the water changes. However today on checking the water I find that the Ammonia is off the scale… and the Nitrate is also off the scale, and not in the good sense!  Whereas the Nitrite is a very acceptable  .2;   Can  the ammonia reading actually be that of Ammonium and not Ammonia?  I believe that the Nitrate will be reduced by increased water changes.  Any suggestions will be most welcome.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some great ideas!
Thanks given by:
The ammonia should be being chomped so shouldn't be off the scale, it's possibly ammonium but worth checking again just to be sure, 

If the nitrite is good then the nitrate should be relevantly high after the nitrite is being consumed, 

So far as I'm aware though you don't need to do any water changes until the cycle is complete, 

You should test the stats of your tap water and do a full test on your cycling tank and post them both here for comparison Smile.
Thanks given by: Jon_D
Water changes are not normally needed during the fishless cycle, this could be your problem if you keep doing 20% changes. You normally do a big water change at the end of the cycle.

Have you read the guide that is on this site. ?

https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/misc.ph...elp&hid=11

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

[Image: J81tL24l.jpg]
Tank 80% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by: Jon_D
Hi Jon

What are you using as a source of ammonia for the fishless cycle?
How often are you dosing the source of ammonia?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Hi Stephen. I used Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride and his recommeded dosage. I only used it once at the very commencemnet of the cycle, and added nothing since.
BTW, the ph of the tank is 6.8 whereas that of the tap water is 7.6.
And I changed that water every swecond day. So as WINGNUt (Ian just read the article you kindly linked) commented, this was unnecessary, and possibly damaging.
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2019, 02:55 PM)mrmigs2011 Wrote: The ammonia should be being chomped so shouldn't be off the scale, it's possibly ammonium but worth checking again just to be sure, 

If the nitrite is good then the nitrate should be relevantly high after the nitrite is being consumed, 

So far as I'm aware though you don't need to do any water changes until the cycle is complete, 

You should test the stats of your tap water and do a full test on your cycling tank and post them both here for comparison Smile.
 I am very happy with the Nitrite as I have been watching it constantly.
Thanks given by:
Do the check for ammonia again.
If you haven't added any Dr Tim's since day 1 then something is a bit off, especially if you've been doing lots of water changes. Are there lots of rotting plants?
Can you explain why the ph is so different from the tap as to in the tank? Are you using CO2 or lots of wood or even an RO mix?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Are there lots of rotting plants?.......... The plants are pretty well thriving as some evebn seeding" But as they are pretty dense (I put them in to absorb Nitrate), I'll have a much closer look.
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2019, 10:52 AM)Jon_D Wrote: Are there lots of rotting plants?.......... The plants are pretty well thriving as some evebn seeding"  But as they are pretty dense (I put them in to absorb Nitrate), I'll have a much closer look.

Hi Jon, I would be very inclined to start over, I know you have been cycling for some time now, and just want to have fish, but getting things right is half the battle, I take it you read the Cycling guide I linked for you, there is also a quick guide on how to work out how much Ammonia to use for initial dosing, all done by the volume of your tank.

You must be so frustrated at the moment, but we have all been there at some point.

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

Tank 80% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by:
Hi again Jon

As Ian (wingnut55) just stated, this must be very frustrating for you but getting it right is important.
Starting again and going by the guides might be a good suggestion and worth considering.

Quote:BTW, the ph of the tank is 6.8 whereas that of the tap water is 7.6.

How are you testing the pH?

All the best
Stephen
Thanks given by:
This is the latest test this morning...  Nitate is down from 100 or even more!
Ammonia = High (Off the scale)
Nitrite      = 0.2
Nitrate    = 50ppm

[Image: kdvw7ztl.jpg]

Guess I will just wait and see how long the cycle goes on, and if the Ammonia dissipates.[Image: smile.png]
Thanks given by:
Stephen asks...." How are you testing the pH?"
I use this: APT ph Test Kit

[Image: q2MKE9bl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
OK Guys... I really think you are correct for me to restart.  Indeed I am much wiser now anyway having joined this forum,  And it will give me a chance to re-think how to set out the tank as it was truly a beginner mess.  [Image: confused.png]
Anyway, I have invested too much in dropping this hobby as I intend to get a larger tank and already have purchased water filters and heaters to that end; including a small breeder tank.... just in case.[Image: shy.png]
I will give the tank 24 hours to behave itself and if no improvement then I shall indeed exorcise the ghost-in-the-tank.[Image: angel.png]
In the meantime , many thanks indeed for all the help and I look forward to even more assistance as I continue to make mistakes.  I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes and I will continue to read the forum to help improve my very basic knowledge.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jon_D's post:
  • Hanlou, wingnut55
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2019, 11:53 AM)Jon_D Wrote: OK Guys... I really think you are correct for me to restart.  Indeed I am much wiser now anyway having joined this forum,  And it will give me a chance to re-think how to set out the tank as it was truly a beginner mess.  [Image: confused.png]
Anyway, I have invested too much in dropping this hobby as I intend to get a larger tank and already have purchased water filters and heaters to that end; including a small breeder tank.... just in case.[Image: shy.png]
I will give the tank 24 hours to behave itself and if no improvement then I shall indeed exorcise the ghost-in-the-tank.[Image: angel.png]
In the meantime , many thanks indeed for all the help and I look forward to even more assistance as I continue to make mistakes.  I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes and I will continue to read the forum to help improve my very basic knowledge.

Jon, we were all novices at some point, and we have all made mistakes, it goes with the territory, but this hobby is so rewarding when you see the results of your labour.

Like you have stated above, you intend to get a larger Aquarium, I would cut your losses and start over with the bigger tank, as I cant see any improvement with the Ammonia in your current tank over night. I know you will have wasted so much time already, but will be so much better in the long run. JMO.  Wink

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

Tank 80% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by:
On a side note, Jon it states Junior member in your signature, but you are our most Senior member as far as I can see, and good on you.  Wink 

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

Tank 80% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by: