This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Greetings from Manchester
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 16
Brown & toilet paper like bits!
Last Post: Kapulot
Today 12:14 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 29
Lunar's new tank
Last Post: Colin Whitworth
Yesterday 10:38 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 1806
Operation Bankruptcy
Last Post: KevB
Yesterday 09:36 PM
» Replies: 462
» Views: 41501
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: debiharry
Yesterday 09:26 PM
» Replies: 883
» Views: 39726
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 09:09 PM
» Replies: 1783
» Views: 267443
Little project
Last Post: Mark_Wood
Yesterday 08:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 410
High nitrites during cycle
Last Post: DrHouse
Yesterday 08:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 45
Betta + tetra feeding.. How?
Last Post: Jen1981
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 67
Han's Shrimpy Scape!
Last Post: Hanlou
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 425
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Yesterday 06:58 PM
» Replies: 252
» Views: 5697
Going bigger
Last Post: piker
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 67
» Views: 1397
Angelfish "experts" re sick Manacapuru
Last Post: Alex34
Yesterday 06:34 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 125
One of my danios is missing
Last Post: jacksdad
Yesterday 05:46 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 95
Wiggles tank
Last Post: Wiggles
Yesterday 05:18 PM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 1799

Benvilles' Tanks

So after my dire exploding second hand tank from the newbie section (https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=860), starting this for my new Fluval Roma 240 setup.

It's still very early doors, the plants hardly grown and the stock very low.  I had 2 Platys and 4 White Clouds I had to move over from my little 19L my mother in law bought for my kids.  To go with those I bought 4 more Platys and some more White Clouds.  I also increased the Shrimp population from 2 Amanos that were in the small tank, now up to 4 Amanos, 2 Giant African Shrimp and a lone red/white Cherry Shrimp the LFS threw in for free as it was in the wrong tank.

I've tried getting some photos of the Africans, but alas they are still very, very shy at the moment, so the blurry effort below is all I can get tonight.

The background is temporary, it's actually a black towel until the matte black board I've ordered arrives in a couple of weeks.

Stocking wise, I'm unsure of my next step.  I don't want anything too big, was thinking Gouramis at most.  I was advised against Angels as they can apparently be a little aggressive toward smaller fish/shrimp.  My LFS suggested Bolivian Rams maybe.  I wanted some Neons/Cardinals in there at some point too, and was on a tossup between a Bristlenose or some Corys for the cleanup.  I had my eye on Endlers at my LFS, as they're beyond beautiful, but guess it depends on tank mates.
[-] The following 6 users Like Benville's post:
  • Annie, Flex365, Gingerlove05, Jota, plankton, Sarah
Thanks given by:
Looks great and love that wood. Looks like a tree.
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jota's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
That looks super, you certainly have an eye for aquascaping, love it !
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze, Peppered  & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Annie's post:
  • Benville
Thanks given by:
The black towel is a good idea. Smile
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the comments guys. I felt it looked rather amateurish and scrappy compared to some of the ones I've seen on here, but I've always been too critical of my own efforts.

Was thinking of maybe adding some kind of floating shade type plant to the right side of the tank. I was aiming for thirds, left third a little planted/rocky, the centre area open and the right side heavily planted/rocky around the tree. The thinking with the shade is to help the Giant African Shrimp as they are crazy shy and hate the light. Would the floating stuff help or is it totally the wrong area to do it, blocking light from the plants there?

Also what are peoples thoughts on night light/moonlight? I've taken the tiny blue/white light from the 19L tank (as it's now empty), set it to blue only with a timer for overnight. It projects a very low level dark blue moonlight, which is beautiful, but can't get my camera to capture it at all Sad
Thanks given by:
Looks pretty well balanced in layout to me. You never really know what the results are like until the plants grow out a bit and you get a better idea of the overall shape and then it can be trimmed back or plants replaced at your leisure.
Thanks given by:
Looks great to me, you are doing a good job, well done.  Wink 

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

[Image: J81tL24l.jpg]
Tank 80% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by:
It looks great! Once grown in it’ll be lovely. I am rubbish at ‘scaping. I am very envious Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Thanks given by:
We have a moonlight lamp in, its one that covers the right spectrum for natural moonlight...don’t ask, too technical for me Big Grin has timers on so that it makes it dim to simulate sunrise and sunset and the the moon rising. It has 6 or so hours of pure darkness too.
Yes they look lovely, the blue is very flattering.
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze, Peppered  & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
It takes time for plants to grow in and the appearance always develops over time.
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
Thanks given by:

Had my first loss tonight. RIP random hitchhiker Cherry Shrimp.

Got home from work tonight and did my usual visit and look around, to see a shrimp wedged backwards in the grille of the intake of the filter. It's legs were twitching a little so it was still alive then.

Turned the filter off and its mid body legs started whirring and kicking like they do when they swim, so clearly stuck.

Waited a bit to see if it could make it out but it wasn't managed. My planter tweezers fit easily between the grille sections, so got behind it and gave it a little nudge. 

It just fell down rather than swim out, but thought it might be exhausted. Dropped a food pellet nearby and waited a bit. Before long I noticed it was just being blown around by the current in the tank, no movement of the legs or antennae.

I'll give it a bit longer but pretty sure it's had it, there's been no movement at all for a couple of hours now.

Only a tiny shrimp, but wasn't nice to see it stuck.

I've seen the amanos crawl over the intake with ease and thinking about it, I'd seen Hitchhiker Bob (posthumous name) do the same as well, as I got scared the first time he did it but he used to fly over it. So maybe was unwell actually and that's why he got sucked in? No idea
Thanks given by:
Sorry for your loss Sad
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
That’s very sad Sad

Poor little Bob.

Thanks given by:

Treated them all to some frozen bloodworm tonight.  None of the new arrivals have had any yet.  I was sitting watching them all go crazy when I noticed Bubba Gump decided to come out.  First time he's ever willingly come out of cover! Came out fanning as he came, grabbed I think a morsel of worm then, I swear you could see the panic, realised how far from shelter he was and scurried back.

[-] The following 5 users Like Benville's post:
  • Annie, Cheltgirl, Gingerlove05, Jota, plankton
Thanks given by:
Bubba Gump Big Grin best name for a shrimp.....ever!!!

Glad he’s getting brave, even if only for a little while. Shows he’s settling in Smile

[-] The following 2 users Like Cheltgirl's post:
  • Annie, Jota
Thanks given by: